QB Tommy Devito is returning | Page 11 | Syracusefan.com

QB Tommy Devito is returning

That is why we are called "fans" which is short for the proper word "fanatics".

fanatic
[fəˈnadik]

NOUN
fanatics (plural noun)
  1. a person filled with excessive and single-minded zeal, especially for an extreme religious or political cause sport [modified by Htown]
    synonyms:
    zealot · extremist · militant · dogmatist · devotee · sectarian · bigot · chauvinist · partisan · radical · diehard · ultra · activist · apologist · adherent · visionary · maniac · crank · freak · wackadoo · wackadoodle
    antonyms:
    moderate

2. informal
    a person with an obsessive interest in and enthusiasm for something, especially an activity.
    "a fitness fanatic"
    synonyms:
    enthusiast · fan · devotee · lover · addict · nut · maniac · fiend · freak · junkie · bug · crank · buff · -head · a great one for · geek · jock
Kind of accurately portrays most posters on this site.
I say most of this stuff in jest. I get an extra kick out of it having to go through the stats predictions for the Cali Awards each year.

Im just as guilty as anyone when it comes to optimism

Why not? I said the pool was small, not that it was impossible. And he is the right combo of “not exactly an elite thrower” with the confidence and moxie to believe he can beat him out.

And while I didn’t state it here, I (and others) noted it would be someone young with 3+ years of eligibility left.

I took your posts more (because there were a few) to mean that you didn't think it would be necessary because we couldn't get someone good enough to compete for the position, because those guys are already gone. We have a thrower. Now we have a dual threat guy who has the size to take a hit. It's nice to have options. Obviously the coaches saw the benefit of having different tools in the chest (or the QB room, as it were)

you dont need 2 stud WR.. but you cant have no stud WR no RB who played in the system and NO Oline depth and QBs missing.

Better teams than SU struggle when they miss pieces but you can miss all the pieces

Yeah, I get it. But we didn't have all those excuses in 2019, and still were 5 games worse than the year before, despite a pretty good roster.

he Makes stuff up

Oh. This didn't happen just the other day?
This guy was one of the ones I was talking about.

The guy who was the star receiver the year earlier who turned pro, Trishton Jackson, was another.

Believe what you want, but I don't make stuff up. I just watch and remember.

That would be great. I hope we win 10 games again.
I'd be thrilled with 8, happy with 6, disappointed with 4 or fewer.

A lot will depend on what the schedule looks like. If can get some easier early games to work out the kinks we could get on a roll

Crazy how far we are from your plateau. We aren’t even averaging 21 ppg vs the P5 the last 2 seasons combined. Just getting to 25 ppg in P5 games next season would be an improvement even though it still would still stink.

Yet in 2018 we averaged nearly 40 ppg vs the P5. Crazy how our production is cut in half.

We haven’t gone fast since 2018. If it comes back, we can hit 30 points per game. (OL play is the unlocking mechanism, I think)

I took your posts more (because there were a few) to mean that you didn't think it would be necessary because we couldn't get someone good enough to compete for the position, because those guys are already gone. We have a thrower. Now we have a dual threat guy who has the size to take a hit. It's nice to have options. Obviously the coaches saw the benefit of having different tools in the chest (or the QB room, as it were)

Fair enough. I was trying to make the point to folks who thought we could just pound the portal and there would be a ton of guys to choose from. I still believe the pool of guys who who we could get that want to come here to compete with TD is fairly small. I’m amped that one did shake loose, obviously

We haven’t gone fast since 2018. If it comes back, we can hit 30 points per game. (OL play is the unlocking mechanism, I think)

Does Dino even still use the OITNF hashtag?
I feel like they’ve been downplaying talking about playing fast over the last couple years but I’m not sure.

I want the best player at the position to be the QB. I hope its Tommy because he is the incumbent and has worked hard for it. But. We cant have this awful limited passing tree that is basically screens and deep sideline passes. If he cant run a normal passing tree that uses the entire field, and someone else can, then I am fine with that person starting. And in my spirit of renewed (temporary?) optimism I believe that the best person will win the spot.

I want the best player at the position to be the QB. I hope its Tommy because he is the incumbent and has worked hard for it. But. We cant have this awful limited passing tree that is basically screens and deep sideline passes. If he cant run a normal passing tree that uses the entire field, and someone else can, then I am fine with that person starting. And in my spirit of renewed (temporary?) optimism I believe that the best person will win the spot.

I don't remember even seeing that many screens.

I don't remember even seeing that many screens.

Yeah, I agree. Screens would have been helpful to slow down a pass rush with our sieve-like offensive line. We did try, but we never executed them well. Our offense consisted of quick sideline passes and Tommy taking some deep shots down the sidelines. I'd like to see the TEs used more, although they did do some of that later in the year. I'd also like to see us use the middle of the field with crossing routes and post patterns.

Does Dino even still use the OITNF hashtag?
I feel like they’ve been downplaying talking about playing fast over the last couple years but I’m not sure.

Bad OL play + some of the quick reads got figured out, IMO

I think if the OL is better, it opens up some things for Sterlin to be more creative. I'd guess the RB room looking better helps too.

A "normal" offseason will help.

I'd settle for a steady diet of bubble screens at this point. Tommy has the arm to deliver them. Let's put our best blocking WR's out there. I know it's pathetic but it's gotta be better than what we did this year.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom