Class of 2022 - QB Travis Throckmorton (CA) Portal from Oregon State | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2022 QB Travis Throckmorton (CA) Portal from Oregon State

Assume depth play -- hasnt played yet. Buried on depth chart at OSU.

Throckmorton will have three years to play three seasons at his next stop.

Following the conclusion of spring practices, Oregon State sophomore quarterback Travis Throckmorton has entered the transfer portal.

The 6-foot-1, 202-pounder didn't see action in two seasons with the program after coming in as a three-star recruit and the 51st-best prospect in California. He took a redshirt season in 2022 and didn't see the field in '23.

The Beavers have Gevani McCoy, Ben Gulbranson, Gabarri Johnson, and incoming freshman

Kallen Gutridge as the scholarship QBs...

1718379655527.gif

I think this Cali QB would essentially serve as a replacement for another Cali QB, Justin Lamson.

Justin incidentally got beat out last year for a starting job at Stanford last season and they brought in a HS AA QB in their 2024 class, so it does not look good for him to start there anytime soon.

I wonder if he ever looks over at our roster, sees he could be a heavy favorite to start next season had he stayed and wishes things were different?

Anyway, you gotta have depth at QB. You gotta expect at least one QB will get dis-allusioned and transfer out every year. So adding a QB from the portal and another run oriented QB in the 2025 class is what you need to do to try and make sure you don't run out of QBs down the road.

I hope we get this guy if for no other reason that to see what his name looks like on the back of his football jersey. The equipment managers need a challenge.

I think this Cali QB would essentially serve as a replacement for another Cali QB, Justin Lamson.

Justin incidentally got beat out last year for a starting job at Stanford last season and they brought in a HS AA QB in their 2024 class, so it does not look good for him to start there anytime soon.

I wonder if he ever looks over at our roster, sees he could be a heavy favorite to start next season had he stayed and wishes things were different?

Anyway, you gotta have depth at QB. You gotta expect at least one QB will get dis-allusioned and transfer out every year. So adding a QB from the portal and another run oriented QB in the 2025 class is what you need to do to try and make sure you don't run out of QBs down the road.

I hope we get this guy if for no other reason that to see what his name looks like on the back of his football jersey. The equipment managers need a challenge.
If not for the fact that he is getting a Stanford education, Lamson really made a dumb decision.

He would have played last season. A lot. But supposedly he wasn't content with getting worked in, he thought he should have been given more of a chance to start.

If not for the fact that he is getting a Stanford education, Lamson really made a dumb decision.

He would have played last season. A lot. But supposedly he wasn't content with getting worked in, he thought he should have been given more of a chance to start.
He played a lot for Stanford too. My guess is that unless someone gets hurt, his days of getting playing time there are done.

Good young man. I hope he gets a chance to start for a year or two somewhere during his college career. Believe he threw for under 50% last season, with 0 TDs and 2 picks. Did run for a lot of yards. Looks like that was his job last year.

Like you say, a Stanford degree is special. Playing close to friends and family has to be special.

Sometimes you make a good decision and get a bad result. This might be one of those times.

He played a lot for Stanford too. My guess is that unless someone gets hurt, his days of getting playing time there are done.

Good young man. I hope he gets a chance to start for a year or two somewhere during his college career. Believe he threw for under 50% last season, with 0 TDs and 2 picks. Did run for a lot of yards. Looks like that was his job last year.

Like you say, a Stanford degree is special. Playing close to friends and family has to be special.

Sometimes you make a good decision and get a bad result. This might be one of those times.
If I knew then what I know now the things I would have done differently.

He's getting a Stanford education and he was given a fair opportunity to start there. He just got beat out but still had quite a bit of playing time.

I don't think he made a bad decision at all. He was basically told in the Spring it wasn't an open competition here and he had no chance to start. He was given that opportunity at Stanford. Had he stayed here, yes he would have got playing time due to injury but that's not a given. And coming into this season it would be the same scenario behind McCord.

He bet on himself, that's what we all should be doing.

Was a three star recruit.

Can't hurt.
For all the amazing things Fran and Co have done, this is one area that for a variety of reasons it just didn't come together to have a serviceable, experienced backup and it wasn't for lack of trying.

But this is where we are and it's going to be a carousel of guys who were buried on other team's depth charts and a true Frosh. So probably doesn't hurt to add another body to the roster if we have the space.

I don't think his high school grading or ranking is really relevant now though, he's got a college resume just like Davis and CDRW did and it's more of the same. Hopefully this is a guy that wasn't a system fit or something like that and not similar to Davis where he just repetitively got passed over by better QB's.

For all the amazing things Fran and Co have done, this is one area that for a variety of reasons it just didn't come together to have a serviceable, experienced backup and it wasn't for lack of trying.

But this is where we are and it's going to be a carousel of guys who were buried on other team's depth charts and a true Frosh. So probably doesn't hurt to add another body to the roster if we have the space.

I don't think his high school grading or ranking is really relevant now though, he's got a college resume just like Davis and CDRW did and it's more of the same. Hopefully this is a guy that wasn't a system fit or something like that and not similar to Davis where he just repetitively got passed over by better QB's.

I see it just a bit differently.

Fran and Co. brought in a high caliber starter -- and now they're looking to recruit over the incumbents to have a better backup in place.

Agree that the HS ratings don't matter much anymore. CDRW and Davis both had quality rankings / offers, but you never know until they get on campus. Conversely, Dungey barely had offers, but ended up having "it" and being one of the top QBs in program history.

I don't know whether Throckmorton is any good or not -- time will tell. But I'd rather have him than not, because I am 100% not confident in either CDRW or Davis, and I'd prefer to have a better option. And who knows, maybe Throckmorton pans out and is the guy in waiting behind McCord.

But either way, I'm not worried about bringing him in because we're probably going to hit the portal hard again next off-season for the next QB.

I too think this is extremely likely.

I've told this before, but my wife is an OSU grad -- and a huge college football fan. Follows reporting / recruiting for her [disgusting] team, etc.

Every year, they bring in top flight QB recruits. Many of them are five stars, or high four stars. And even with those pedigrees, many of them don't pan out, flop, or transfer out.

Some transfer out and go on to be very good players [i.e., Joe Burrow]. Others do not [i.e., Tate Martell].

And sometimes they have quality prospects who are highly rated who get to Columbus feeling confident, then realize that the QB room is stacked ahead of them [i.e., Air Noland, this year] and bail.

So nothing is a guarantee, even at the factories. Sometimes, you just need to throw stuff at the wall to see what sticks. CDRW wasn't a bad gamble, it just looks like he doesn't have the chops. Ditto Davis. Maybe this Throckmorton will have the goods. And if he doesn't, Fran Brown will recruit over him with the quickness.

Last edited:
I've told this before, but my wife is an OSU grad -- and a huge college football fan. Follows reporting for her [disgusting] team, etc.

Every year, they bring in top flight QB recruits. Many of them are five stars, or high four stars. And even with those pedigrees, many of them don't pan out, flop, or transfer out.

Some transfer out and go on to be very good players [i.e., Joe Burrow]. Others do not [i.e., Tate Martell].

And sometimes they have quality prospects who are highly rated who get to Columbus feeling confident, then realize that the QB room is stacked ahead of them [i.e., Air Noland, this year] and bail.

So nothing is a guarantee, even at the factories. Sometimes, you just need to throw stuff at the wall to see what sticks. CDRW wasn't a bad gamble, it just looks like he doesn't have the chops. Ditto Davis. Maybe this Throckmorton will have the goods. And if he doesn't, Fran Brown will recruit over him with the quickness.
Right. There are always really talented quarterbacks available. That's why it's important for McCord to excel here, because Fran can make Syracuse a destination for top transfer quarterbacks.

Our company has been using his father‘s company for years – we know where to go whenever we need our Morton throcked.
And yes, I know sometimes the recruit’s family reads this.

Here is some trivia for our geography fans:

The Throggs Neck neighborhood in The Bronx was named after a Throckmorton.

If Travis comes here, he is really just returning to his family's roots.

Our company has been using his father‘s company for years – we know where to go whenever we need our Morton throcked.
And yes, I know sometimes the recruit’s family reads this.
Before we mock the name Throckmorton, we should understand that the surname Throckmorton was first found in Worcestershire at Throckmorton, a chapelry, in the parish of Fladbury, union of Pershore, Middle division of the hundred of Oswaldslow "where John de Trockemerton, the supposed ancestor of this family, was living about the year 1200. From this John descended, after many generations, another 'John Throkmerton,' who was according to Leland, 'the first settler up of his name to any worship in Throckmerton village."
Some of the family held estates at Weston-Underwood in Buckinghamshire in early times. " In the parish is an ancient [family] seat, now uninhabited, of the Throckmorton family, who have also a neat Roman Catholic chapel here, with a handsome residence for the priest."
With that understanding, I think we can agree "Throckmorton" is not so funny.

Before we mock the name Throckmorton, we should understand that the surname Throckmorton was first found in Worcestershire at Throckmorton, a chapelry, in the parish of Fladbury, union of Pershore, Middle division of the hundred of Oswaldslow "where John de Trockemerton, the supposed ancestor of this family, was living about the year 1200. From this John descended, after many generations, another 'John Throkmerton,' who was according to Leland, 'the first settler up of his name to any worship in Throckmerton village."
Some of the family held estates at Weston-Underwood in Buckinghamshire in early times. " In the parish is an ancient [family] seat, now uninhabited, of the Throckmorton family, who have also a neat Roman Catholic chapel here, with a handsome residence for the priest."

That's what she said... ?

Yeah that's what I was gonna say.

TRAVIS THROCKMORTON PORTAL FROM OREGON ST SIMI VALLEY CA HS
#7 SIMI VALLEY 6' 1" 202 QB 1, 562 YDS 109 - 177 PASS 13 TDS SR, 79 - 125 IN 5 GAMES JR, 2015 YDS 167 - 258 17 TDS SOPH 6 TDS RUSH

Throckmorton, Travis

Jersey Number4

CHOSE O STATE OVER OFFERS FROM NEVADA, FAU, SO. MISS
SETS UP WELL, GOOD FOOTWORK CARRIES BALL AT CORRECT CHEST RIGHT SHOULDER LEVEL, GOOD WGT. TRANSFER ADDING ACCELERATION TO THROW WITH HIP ROTATION FROM BACK LEG PLANT TO FRONT PLANT, THROWS OVER THE TOP FULL EXTENSION WITH WRIST SNAP FOR ADDED ACCELERATION
VERY POISED IN POCKET
USES GOOD PUMP FAKES ON SOME THROWS TO FAKE DB'S
THROWS 50 YDS EASILY
THROWS TIGHT SPIRALS - THREE LEVELS HIGH ARC FOR GO ROUTES, TOUCH AND HARD BALLS DEPENDING ON NEED FOR PLAY
LEADS RECEIVERS WELL
FAST OUT OF POCKET EVADING PRESSURE
GETS RID OF BALL VERY QUICKLY
HAD NO CHANCE TO PLAY AT STATE - MAYBE LOOKS AT US

Last edited by a moderator:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cusethunder

Online statistics

Members online