QBs preview: Tommy DeVito may be Syracuse football's most indispensable player in 2019 | Syracusefan.com

QBs preview: Tommy DeVito may be Syracuse football's most indispensable player in 2019

If he earns it, I like Welch a lot as our primary backup. He may not have TD's ability, but he's been in the system for a bit, is a big dude, and from what I've seen throws a nice ball - he dropped a beauty in front of those of us who hit the spring game.

I also think Rex did a fine job in his cameo a couple of years ago vs BC. He is capable as well.

Maybe I just have PTSD from all those years during Dungey's career when he would go down and we would have winless Novembers. If Clayton Welch is better than I think he is, then awesome.

And who could blame you? But now we have far more talent across the board that we used to have.

Here's hoping the OL keeps him upright and gives him time to throw the ball. Key to the season, IMO.

I want to see a LOT less designed QB runs this year, and a lot more passing yards.

QB rushing --- both scrambling and designated runs --- were a BIG part of the SU offense last year.

Dungey ran for 754 yards and 42% (15) of our rushing TDs.

I have a hard time seeing Babers move completely away from that very effective part of the SU offense.

Of course, I don't get the sense that TD has that huge desire to run into and over people that Dungey appeared to have. TD probably has more of the New Jersey ethic of "Take what they give you, but don't go crazy". Sliding is good sense, not lack of football machismo.

TD probably has more of the New Jersey ethic of "Take what they give you, but don't go crazy".

QB rushing --- both scrambling and designated runs --- were a BIG part of the SU offense last year.

Dungey ran for 754 yards and 42% (15) of our rushing TDs.

I have a hard time seeing Babers move completely away from that very effective part of the SU offense.

Of course, I don't get the sense that TD has that huge desire to run into and over people that Dungey appeared to have. TD probably has more of the New Jersey ethic of "Take what they give you, but don't go crazy". Sliding is good sense, not lack of football machismo.

I don't -- primarily because TD's capabilities as a runner are quite different than Dungey's. I also don't envision the coaches wanting to expose him to unnecessary hits -- so I'd expect designed runs to drop off substantially.

Not entirely as the occasional misdirection play to keep defenses honest, but a lot less than what we've seen the past three years.

I don't -- primarily because TD's capabilities as a runner are quite different than Dungey's. I also don't envision the coaches wanting to expose him to unnecessary hits -- so I'd expect designed runs to drop off substantially.

Not entirely as the occasional misdirection play to keep defenses honest, but a lot less than what we've seen the past three years.

Well, after Dungey and his Marine Corps approach to the QB position, I expect just about any replacement would do less.

But I don't think its going to disappear and Su fans are going to be doing a lot of cringing when he takes off with all his receivers covered. He is 6'-2" and 210, so it's not like he is a little, frail guy.

Dungey had 154 rushes in 2018 or 12 a game. Some of these were scrambles.

How many do you think TD should have? How many do you think he will have?

I also think there will be a big drop in QB runs. Not necessarily because of the difference in TD's running ability compared to ED. The difference will be because of TD's passing ability (compared to ED). This also means that the inside power running game (a staple of DB's offense) will need to be a lot more productive than it has been.

Agreed 144%.

BG "ran" the Fat Pirate a decent amount on RPO's, but typically he would then use a little bit of running/scrambling to buy time/fake the D out and then dump it off to an open man.

I'd imagine Tommy will do similar - but he's also a decent runner, just not as instinctual and elusive like Dungey was (because few are).

Also - I'd imagine a LOT of ED's "designed runs" were him blowing thru his first 2 reads, then tucking and running. That was mentioned on Tyler Morona's pod that his WR's were NOT happy about his propensity to do that, rather than give them a chance to get open.

Well, after Dungey and his Marine Corps approach to the QB position, I expect just about any replacement would do less.

But I don't think its going to disappear and Su fans are going to be doing a lot of cringing when he takes off with all his receivers covered. He is 6'-2" and 210, so it's not like he is a little, frail guy.

Dungey had 154 rushes in 2018 or 12 a game. Some of these were scrambles.

How many do you think TD should have? How many do you think he will have?

Impossible to gauge how many rushing attempts [i.e., scrambles] he'll have due to coverage. We'll know more after we see the offensive line perform.

I'd expect only a handful of called runs for the QB -- <5, if I had to guess.

Especially given that we have a stud trio of RBs who will all get snaps. So while it won't disappear entirely, I don't expect it to be used nearly as often.

Agreed 144%.

BG "ran" the Fat Pirate a decent amount on RPO's, but typically he would then use a little bit of running/scrambling to buy time/fake the D out and then dump it off to an open man.

I'd imagine Tommy will do similar - but he's also a decent runner, just not as instinctual and elusive like Dungey was (because few are).

Also - I'd imagine a LOT of ED's "designed runs" were him blowing thru his first 2 reads, then tucking and running. That was mentioned on Tyler Morona's pod that his WR's were NOT happy about his propensity to do that, rather than give them a chance to get open.
This offense is built to put up big numbers and it will and this will lead to better skill recruits . ED didn’t get hurt on scrambles he got crushed in the pocket vs Clemson a cheap shot vs FSU a freak back thing vs ND
It’s calked bad luck . ED played his style and doesn’t have to apologize for it he was successful doing it . I’m a little surprised that there’s concern about him in any aspect of Qb but to each his own for the next month or so .

As long as he's mastered the slide, I'll be OK with some designed runs for TD.

What I've loved about Tommy these past 2 years (besides his obvious ability) is his humility and team first attitude. As far as I know, he never complained about being no. 2 and kept the right attitude, even after Dungey (who I love) made the comments about Amie that could have pulled the team apart. We are lucky to have him.

The starting QB is always the most indispensable player on every team. Other than Tommy Gun i think we can handle a loss at any position including OL DL

The offense is heavy on RPO. That means Tommy has to be a threat to keep the ball on those zone reads. At least enough times to keep the edge defenders off balance.

Impossible to gauge how many rushing attempts [i.e., scrambles] he'll have due to coverage. We'll know more after we see the offensive line perform.

I'd expect only a handful of called runs for the QB -- <5, if I had to guess.

Especially given that we have a stud trio of RBs who will all get snaps. So while it won't disappear entirely, I don't expect it to be used nearly as often.

Five? Five per game?

That's a lot.

Now if the OL is better and opens holes or holds off pass rushers better. And the RB's are better. And the WRs are better. And TD is less prone to move quickly thought he options and then take off running. Well, it'll be great.

But that's a lot to hope for.

I get the point though. ED had TD as a back-up and TD was pretty good (Excellent againt UNC).

TD does not have, we think, the same quality of back up. So it's slightly more important that TD not get hurt than it was that ED not get hurt because of the quality of the back up.

Five? Five per game?

That's a lot.

Now if the OL is better and opens holes or holds off pass rushers better. And the RB's are better. And the WRs are better. And TD is less prone to move quickly thought he options and then take off running. Well, it'll be great.

But that's a lot to hope for.

I get the point though. ED had TD as a back-up and TD was pretty good (Excellent againt UNC).

TD does not have, we think, the same quality of back up. So it's slightly more important that TD not get hurt than it was that ED not get hurt because of the quality of the back up.

Whether it is "a lot" or not is entirely contingent upon the number of offensive plays we run.

If we run 50 plays per game, then 5 [and for the record, I suggested < 5] would be 10% of the plays.

We play at a much faster pace. Last year, Syracuse was second in the nation in plays per game, at 84.3 per game. Seems reasonable to assume we'll be on par with that again, so let's just use that as a benchmark. At that pace, 5 plays would be a little over 5% of the plays.

Agree with the rest of your post.

Whether it is "a lot" or not is entirely contingent upon the number of offensive plays we run.

If we run 50 plays per game, then 5 [and for the record, I suggested < 5] would be 10% of the plays.

We play at a much faster pace. Last year, Syracuse was second in the nation in plays per game, at 84.3 per game. Seems reasonable to assume we'll be on par with that again, so let's just use that as a benchmark. At that pace, 5 plays would be a little over 5% of the plays.

Agree with the rest of your post.
i'm expecting fewer plays per game thanks to the WR and better passing. quicker td drives - i can't wait