Question about Frank | Syracusefan.com

Question about Frank

Cuse_NYC

Starter
Don’t get me wrong, his presence alone makes this team much better. We absolutely would not have beaten OSU with him... but is it a rust thing at this point? Or is he still playing through pain? He isn’t nearly as explosive, nor does he look to drive and score. We need last yr’s Frank in order to be our best. I’d even be fine sitting him for a few games if more rest meant more healing. If it’s just rust it’s a completely different story.

Don’t get me wrong, his presence alone makes this team much better. We absolutely would not have beaten OSU with him... but is it a rust thing at this point? Or is he still playing through pain? He isn’t nearly as explosive, nor does he look to drive and score. We need last yr’s Frank in order to be our best. I’d even be fine sitting him for a few games if more rest meant more healing. If it’s just rust it’s a completely different story.
He really hasnt tried to score at the rim this year . He did a lot of damage that way last year. Hope he starts that again soon

Heard he’s not confident, yet, about driving and cutting on his injury. He’s gotta get back mentally before he can play at our pace again. Give it time. Its a blessing hes back now before g town and ub

Understood, but it doesn’t look like a conditioning thing.

I agree it's not conditioning; that comes back after a few games. I think it's mental. Ankle injuries are tricky because your ankle doesn't hurt during 'normal' operation. You won't feel the injury, or re-injury, coming; it happens all at once. With that in mind, pushing the ankle to its limits is a tall hurdle to mentally clear. At the same time, ankles take forever to fully heal. That thing won't be 100% at all this year, most likely.

Heard he’s not confident, yet, about driving and cutting on his injury. He’s gotta get back mentally before he can play at our pace again. Give it time. Its a blessing hes back now before g town and ub
the real blessing is to have Carey to share sometime with him.. For now Carey can get the flashy work done and rank can provide the motor that makes the Orange go.

His shot looked flat. Ankle-related?

We'll all know Frank is back when he gets a steal and attacks the rim for a big dunk. Until then, it's all about conditioning and getting his mind used to the fact that he's better and isn't going to hurt himself when he leaves the ground.

Jim Boeheim after Syracuse's win over Northeastern: 'We've got a lot of work to do'

"We're a long ways away for multiple reasons, but mainly because the point guard has missed so much time,'' Boeheim said. "If Frank was where we know he can be, we'd be a whole different team. This game would never have been close. None of these games would've been close. He made every shot this summer. He was phenomenal right up until he got hurt. We've got to overcome that.''

"Frank can't get his legs going,'' Boeheim said. "His legs die and he can't get his jump shot out there. He's running the team, moving the ball and getting the ball to people, but he is not back fully shooting the ball. That's something we've got to keep working on.''

I think, for me at least, and I'm sure for many others, we greatly underestimated how much Frank's injury cost both him and the team, especially considering that Jalen was injured as well during the same time frame. JB's quote about how well Frank shot over the summer made me a little wistful about what we could be seeing right now had he not gotten hurt, and hopeful the team will get there at some point this season before it costs them a tourney bid.

He's not quick, fast or super athletic to start with. Right now, he looks like he's in quicksand. I'm guessing the ankle is still tight, possibly a bit sore or he just doesn't trust it. He doesn't look like he can jump or beat many guys off the bounce. That's a concern if he's going to handle it so much. Even his shot looks flat and off.

If he's healthy, I guess you try pushing him through this, but it's a very large concern.

I think it's more coincidence than anything Frank has done since coming back that the team has looked better.

Think it was on the Autry show this week that franks nearing 100% physically but mentally itll take time to catch back up to pre-injury. To be expected imo. Im not worried, he’s an incredibly resilient guy.

He’s 75-80% I think. I mean he’ll never be a fast guy or push it but he’s made some nice passes already.

Damn with faint praise why don't you. Explain please how this by JB equates to 75-80%. Obviously, JB thinks he's much further away and, hmmm, come to think of it, he should know. And your estimate comes from where?

"We're a long ways away for multiple reasons, but mainly because the point guard has missed so much time,'' Boeheim said. "If Frank was where we know he can be, we'd be a whole different team. This game would never have been close. None of these games would've been close. He made every shot this summer. He was phenomenal right up until he got hurt. We've got to overcome that.''

"Frank can't get his legs going,'' Boeheim said. "His legs die and he can't get his jump shot out there. He's running the team, moving the ball and getting the ball to people, but he is not back fully shooting the ball. That's something we've got to keep working on.''

He's still doing some good things on D. Does a great job anticipating in the zone and getting in passing lanes. To my eye, at least, the zone has looked a lot more like last year since Frank's return.

I think Frank is probably at 75% or he is in his own mind. He clearly doesn't want to push off it because he is not even looking drive and it is affecting his shot as Boeheim mentioned in the NE presser. Hopefully he gets right soon and I think he will. We really need him to be the best we can be. The one positive is that Frank and Tyus gave us nothing against NE and we still won because of Hughes and Oshae. That would not have happened last year. I love Jalen and he is playing well but we need Frank to be good. I'm hoping he is ready to go by Jan 1 as old Frank.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom