Question about Referees | Syracusefan.com

Question about Referees

CsonkaStash

Starter
Lamont Simpson, Bo Boroski, Donnie Eppley refereed possibly the worst and most one-sided game I've seen since Michigan Final Four game. Can anyone explain to me what the recourse is for the referees in this case ? Do they get reviewed by the coaches and does it impact the games they get to referee in the future and thus impact their pay ?

Does Jimmy get a chance to evaluate them and/or does a independent body evaluate the way they refereed the games ? If someone could help shed some light on what ramifications they receive that would be cool as I am not aware.

hey we out shot morehead st 30- 12 at the line. did you ask for an investigation then ?

blaming the refs is weak cheri. unless they blow a late game review you know you play with what you get.

My main beef was the sheer volume of them and how there was no flow. Both teams had legit beefs about calls that went against them. I had an issue really only with two. The one I think Sidibe fouled out on and Brissett’s first one.

blaming the refs is weak cheri. unless they blow a late game review you know you play with what you get.

I agree in premise but that was a horribly refereed game. We won so its not loser's ripping or blaming refs for a loss. The player's, coaches are responsible and constantly evaluated by everyone for their performance, the OP is just asking if referees are. Regardless it is over.

This is a legitimate question irrespective of the outcome. This crew was atrocious.

i would imagine there must be some review process to root out BIAS . i'd bet it's rarely confirmed.

Not sure if true but I thought one of the announcers maybe Dan said refs are somewhat inclined to show that they will call what's expected of them during the regular season to get a better chance at being selected to ref tournament games and such.

Not sure if true but I thought one of the announcers maybe Dan said refs are somewhat inclined to show that they will call what's expected of them during the regular season to get a better chance at being selected to ref tournament games and such.

That's scary. Did these refs use our 2012 game in the NCAA's against Ohio State as their guide? ;)

i saw a lot of calls on rebounders behind guys with inside position. both ways. were they all fouls ? hell no.
but if that's what they're calling tonite then adjust your game. but i don't ever think refs are out to screw us.

There are so many rules and such minutia I bet most calls fall/fell under acceptable.
it's a fast game. a tough job. but there is no anti syracuse bias memo out there. that much i'm sure.

To answer the OP, I do believe that the coaches still get to evaluate the refs. I believe there have been recent instances in which a school has turned over gametapes that point out problems that need to be addressed. The conferences evaluate their refs in all sports, but you won't hear about what was said unless there's a major disciplinary action, like a suspension. Wasn't TV Teddy banned from reffing someone's games last year because of a comment he made about their coach, or something along that line?

We played Southern Cal in football at the LA Coliseum. The Pac-12 crew totally blew a call that cost us a chance at trying to win because they interpreted a rule completely wrong. They wouldn't even look at the rulebook that Mike London carried in his pocket to show what we had done was legal. The Pac-12 HQ reviewed what happened and suspended the whole crew for a game, so it does happen.

Last edited:
listen i hated Higgins and Burr. but never once thought they were on the take. just Aholes.

I remember Dakich saying that too. If true, it's a damn shame. So often I think "Put the whistle away".

I remember Dakich saying that too. If true, it's a damn shame. So often I think "Put the whistle away".
I just expect a whistle every time down the court for either team now a days.

hey we out shot morehead st 30- 12 at the line. did you ask for an investigation then ?
Not sure I said I wanted an investigation, just wondering what the recourse is

To answer the OP, I do believe that the coaches still get to evaluate the refs. I believe there have been recent instances in which a school has turned over gametapes that point out problems that need to be addressed. The conferences evaluate their refs in all sports, but you won't hear about what was said unless there's a major disciplinary action, like a suspension. Wasn't TV Teddy banned from reffing someone's games last year because of a comment he made about their coach, or something along that line?

We played Southern Cal in football at the LA Coliseum. The Pac-12 crew totally blew a call that cost us a chance at trying to win because they interpreted a rule completely wrong. They wouldn't even look at the rulebook that Mike London carried in his pocket to show what we had done was legal. The Pac-12 HQ reviewed what happened and suspended the whole crew for a game, so it does happen.

Thanks, I appreciate the response...Like I said, I am just trying to figure out how they are evaluated and wif Jimmy gets a chance to submit a review

My main beef was the sheer volume of them and how there was no flow. Both teams had legit beefs about calls that went against them. I had an issue really only with two. The one I think Sidibe fouled out on and Brissett’s first one.
I tend to agree it was the flow that hurt both teams but after we lost our 3rd key player and Chewy had 4, I started to worry. One additional foul that caught my attention was the one called against Hughes when the OSU player hit him in the chest with the elbow. I am far from an expert in basketball rules so it could have been the correct call, it just didn't feel right.