Question about scholarships | Syracusefan.com

Question about scholarships

NineOneSeven

2018-19 Iggy Hoops Leader Scorer
How many do we have open for next year? I have never really followed the penalties/scholarship restrictions too closely the last few years.

I understand that we have a few players with their status for next year up in the air, so assume EVERYONE returns and we have Moyer/Sidibe/O.B coming in.

We're allowed 11 scholarships for the 2017-18 season and 12 in 2018-19.

Back to full strength for 2019-20.

Battle, Howard
Thompson, Moyer, Lydon, Sidibe, OB, Chukwu

So at the minimum we require 3 more players, and possibly 5 more.

Assuming only Lydon leaves, that means we have 4 to fill. I think in order of importance we need 2PGs, SF, and scoring guard (SG).

Obviously the offer to Washington and our interest in Waters would be tremendous for our two biggest priorities (guards, especially if Howard decides to move elsewhere, although we will see how this plays out). Still in the mix for Ayala and Duarte could definitely help out with the scoring guard aspect as well, to spell Battle. Depending on how we do above with these freshmen, grad transfers are definitely in play as has been discussed a few times. If we get a couple of the guards we are looking at, I expect a grad transfer to fit the 3 mold.

And you want to take about youth... my goodness!

Battle, Howard
Thompson, Moyer, Lydon, Sidibe, OB, Chukwu

So at the minimum we require 3 more players, and possibly 5 more.

Assuming only Lydon leaves, that means we have 4 to fill. I think in order of importance we need 2PGs, SF, and scoring guard (SG).

Obviously the offer to Washington and our interest in Waters would be tremendous for our two biggest priorities (guards, especially if Howard decides to move elsewhere, although we will see how this plays out). Still in the mix for Ayala and Duarte could definitely help out with the scoring guard aspect as well, to spell Battle. Depending on how we do above with these freshmen, grad transfers are definitely in play as has been discussed a few times. If we get a couple of the guards we are looking at, I expect a grad transfer to fit the 3 mold.

Guess we won't have to debate where the senior leadership will come from next year. ;)

Just a guess but I think returnees are going to look like this:

Battle, Thompson, Moyer, Lydon, Sidibe, Brisset, Chukwu

We take 4. 2 of Washington, Ayala, Waters, 1 5th year transfer PG and 1 5th year transfer 3.

If everything bounces our way, I think we have Waters/Washington as our PGs, Battle at SG, Dolezaj and Moyer as SF, Lydon and Brissett at PF, and Thompson/Sidibe/Chukwu at center. That leaves one spot left for Frank Howard/Chris Duarte/Eric Ayala (not sure what will happen with Howard this offseason).

The grad transfer route is also an option, but I would prefer to see a 5-6 player freshman class come in so they can get a year under their belt before Hopkins takes over.

The optimistic outlook requires Lydon coming back, Chukwu's vision getting back to normal, and Waters, Washington, and Dolezaj all coming to Syracuse late in the recruiting process. I'm not expecting it to happen, but it's possible. It really all starts with Lydon coming back, though I'm not holding my breath on that one.

If everything bounces our way, I think we have Waters/Washington as our PGs, Battle at SG, Dolezaj and Moyer as SF, Lydon and Brissett at PF, and Thompson/Sidibe/Chukwu at center. That leaves one spot left for Frank Howard/Chris Duarte/Eric Ayala (not sure what will happen with Howard this offseason).

The grad transfer route is also an option, but I would prefer to see a 5-6 player freshman class come in so they can get a year under their belt before Hopkins takes over.

The optimistic outlook requires Lydon coming back, Chukwu's vision getting back to normal, and Waters, Washington, and Dolezaj all coming to Syracuse late in the recruiting process. I'm not expecting it to happen, but it's possible. It really all starts with Lydon coming back, though I'm not holding my breath on that one.

That sounds like a glass 150% full and overflowing take. :)

I think less factors would have to fall into place for an asteroid to strike the Earth...

I think less factors would have to fall into place for an asteroid to strike the Earth...
Putting Waters in any conversation is highly optimistic. He hasn't even been let out of his scholarship by Grown yet and there's no indication the coaching staff has any interest in him.

He looks good, missed out on this kid.
Yeah what happened here? Kid is from Connecticut and somehow made it to Baton Rouge of all places and is just killing it. Seems like we could've had this kid if we actually wanted him. I wonder what the staff's plan was once they lost Quade.

Yeah what happened here? Kid is from Connecticut and somehow made it to Baton Rouge of all places and is just killing it. Seems like we could've had this kid if we actually wanted him. I wonder what the staff's plan was once they lost Quade.

Was committed to Georgetown. JTIII left and not sure if that's why he got out of that or was released, then he opened recruitment again and didn't seem like there were many suiters out there.

Was committed to Georgetown. JTIII left and not sure if that's why he got out of that or was released, then he opened recruitment again and didn't seem like there were many suiters out there.
It's a shame, he'd be a major contributor for us this year. Opting for Thorpe over this kid really backfired

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom