Question about scholarships | Syracusefan.com

Question about scholarships

Vshukla

Walk On
I have a question about scholarships. If a player gets a career ending injury and cannot play anymore, what happens to their scholarship? Do we keep them on the roster (losing an available scholarship) or can they lose their athletic scholarship but still go to school through some sort of financial aid? It seems really unfair if a kid can’t complete his degree because he got hurt.

Uconn just went through this. Got the ship back and gave him a “role” or something to keep the full ride

I believe that schools can revoke an athlete's scholarship, but they don't have to.

Yup, it's up to the school. I know a football player that lost it when he got injured. I thought it was pretty lousy.

Uconn just went through this. Got the ship back and gave him a “role” or something to keep the full ride
Thanks, that seems like the right thing to do. Never thought I would use the phrase "right thing to do" when referring to UConn.

Yup, it's up to the school. I know a football player that lost it when he got injured. I thought it was pretty lousy.
I can see if the person gets hurt doing something on their own, but if it happens in practice or a game, I feel like the University should do the right thing.

Any school that would revoke the scholarship of a kid who was injured participating in his sport should be scorned. You can take the kid off of athletic scholarship to free up the roster spot, but the school has to ensure that his education is paid for so that he can finish his degree. If you did otherwise I assume you would get killed on the recruiting trail.

Any school that would revoke the scholarship of a kid who was injured participating in his sport should be scorned. You can take the kid off of athletic scholarship to free up the roster spot, but the school has to ensure that his education is paid for so that he can finish his degree. If you did otherwise I assume you would get killed on the recruiting trail.
I thought most reputable schools kept them on scholarship but I don't know how that would count toward your maximum.

I thought most reputable schools kept them on scholarship but I don't know how that would count toward your maximum.

It doesn’t.

Injured guys (career ending) aren’t counted towards the 85 total for football.

Im about 99.9% sure it’s also the same for hoops.

As far as I’m aware, the overwhelming majority of schools allow them to finish their 4 years on scholarship.
But they generally are no longer involved with the team anymore.

I’d imagine if the career-ending injury occurred in a non sports-related manner then it would likely be a different story

It doesn’t.

Injured guys (career ending) aren’t counted towards the 85 total for football.

Im about 99.9% sure it’s also the same for hoops.

As far as I’m aware, the overwhelming majority of schools allow them to finish their 4 years on scholarship.
But they generally are no longer involved with the team anymore.

I’d imagine if the career-ending injury occurred in a non sports-related manner then it would likely be a different story
If this is the case, than there's no reason most schools couldn't honor the scholarship. It's not costing the school the prices of tuition in actual dollars.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SyraFreed

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom