Question for Admins... | Syracusefan.com

Question for Admins...

newmexicuse

All Conference
I do not know as yet know why a change was necessary, but over the years all of you Admin's have done a great job, and I am sure that in due time the rational will come out.

One thing I did like about the old forum was the ability to set a "thread" view as a personal preference.

Is that feature available here as I have not found it yet ?

Thx in advance !!!

Thus far,a"thread" view is the only thing on my wish list !!!

That request has been made several times. The current SW package being used does not have that capability. We are trying to see if it can be added on.

Still will never understand why anyone would prefer that antiquated setting ...

That request has been made several times. The current SW package being used does not have that capability. We are trying to see if it can be added on.

Thanks, Bees. As much as some people like to legislate their views on us 'dinosaurs', I don't see how it hurts them to have a choice. if they want to use topic view, fine. Don't care much for the belittling of those of us who want to have a view that they think is antiquated...:mad:

Thanks, Bees. As much as some people like to legislate their views on us 'dinosaurs', I don't see how it hurts them to have a choice. if they want to use topic view, fine. Don't care much for the belittling of those of us who want to have a view that they think is antiquated...:mad:
I will plead ignorance here but why is thread view for dinosaurs?

Not quite sure, but more than a few posts have been of the strain, "Why in the world would anyone want to use thread view? this is the only place on the internet that uses thread view. Look at Armory's post up above...

It isn't, necessarily. They just have different impacts on the way conversations flow on message boards.

Just my personal opinion, but thread view takes up a lot of real estate for one discussion. And, while this may not be a huge deal, the more people move to smart phones and view the web through apps and mobile web sites, this real estate is needed to view as many topics as possible in one shot. Do you really want a discussion about our main rival being Rutgers or not taking up half of a page? Now, even if you are on a computer, it has the same effect, but just not as glaring as if you are on a smartphone.

The other thing, is that the advantage of thread view is that you can clearly see the hierarchy of the discussion. However this also lends itself to breaking up the topic into sub-topics within the discussion instead of just having a new topic (think of the tangents that take place within discussion topics like going off on a beer discussion during a tailgate logistics thread).

Topic view gives you a snapshot of what is being discussed on the board in a more easily scanned and digestible fashion. It also, hopefully, mitigates the chance for redundant posts since users can see more of what is being discussed. And, with the auto-quoting function in posting, it helps to close the gap on the advantage of the thread view's hierarchical clarity.

Ideally, you want a clean, easily scanned entry into the discussion that you want to participate in or read. But, with that said, if the option to have thread view implemented is available, I think we should do it.

Not quite sure, but more than a few posts have been of the strain, "Why in the world would anyone want to use thread view? this is the only place on the internet that uses thread view. Look at Armory's post up above...
Quite simply... i haven't seen a single forum on the internet using thread view for about a decade.

If this is the only forum you read regularly then I could understand being used to it ... but just so you know, the rest of the internet is not.

I don't care regardless, the more customizable options the better.

It isn't, necessarily. They just have different impacts on the way conversations flow on message boards.
Ideally, you want a clean, easily scanned entry into the discussion that you want to participate in or read. But, with that said, if the option to have thread view implemented is available, I think we should do it.

Thank you. I understand all you said above. The reaction of some just amazed me. I did not want anyone's topic view taken away. I just wanted the option I use and feel more comfortable with (me and apparently many others). Sheesh - you'd think I'd asked for someone's first born to be sacrificed. Knock yourselves out, o internet gurus. I just wanted the option of thread view. :rolleyes:

...Just my personal opinion, but thread view takes up a lot of real estate for one discussion. And, while this may not be a huge deal, the more people move to smart phones and view the web through apps and mobile web sites, this real estate is needed to view as many topics as possible in one shot. Do you really want a discussion about our main rival being Rutgers or not taking up half of a page? Now, even if you are on a computer, it has the same effect, but just not as glaring as if you are on a smartphone.

I agree. By 2014, more surfing will be done through mobile devices than computers. That's already the case on the weekends. With that said, I don't see any harm in giving a choice.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom