Question for objective basketball fans... | Syracusefan.com

Question for objective basketball fans...

Eric15

Living Legend
When NC State threw that long breakout pass and Cooney fouled him from behind (almost an and 1), my heart literally stopped because I thought it was an intentional foul.

I guess I don't really understand the rule - why wasn't that particular play an intentional foul? I'm asking because if the roles were reversed I would be hyperventilating.

Because he made a play for the ball - or at least faked it well enough.

Unless you grab the guy, pull the jersey, foul unusually hard from behind they're not going to call it.

I mean, we all know 95% of fouls in a close game late are intentional by the trailing team, but as long as you make a reasonable effort to make it look good they won't call it.

Very good observation, by both posts. It was critical to have made the play before he becomes an airborne shooter - which was coming in about his next step. Then it's a different situation.

When NC State threw that long breakout pass and Cooney fouled him from behind (almost an and 1), my heart literally stopped because I thought it was an intentional foul.

I guess I don't really understand the rule - why wasn't that particular play an intentional foul? I'm asking because if the roles were reversed I would be hyperventilating.

I thought it was as well. Not because I thought it was an intentional foul, but because I actually thought it was getting called until I saw the ref point at the floor.

I thought it was the right call. He was definitely going for the ball.....

I thought it was as well. Not because I thought it was an intentional foul, but because I actually thought it was getting called until I saw the ref point at the floor.

Yes, I believe the ref waved the shot off immediately. It was the right call in a critical situation, and kudos to him for getting right, efficiently (not like at Pitt), and letting everyone know he had the call. That was an "R" on that whistle.

College basketball no longer has the "intentional foul" rule. Remember when the refs would cross their arms to indicate an intentional foul? That rule is no longer.

Instead, it has to be a flagrant foul, which has a long definition but basically requires excessive physical contact. The foul against Fair at the end of the Duke game was not flagrant. And the Cooney foul tonight was not flagrant. The issue on Cooney's foul was whether the continuing shot should have counted. By the terms of the rule and past practice, it should not have. But in the past couple of seasons refs have been more liberal on that call and it would not have been a shock had they given NC State the hoop on that play. It was basically a 50/50 call and SU was fortunate it was called the way it was.

College basketball no longer has the "intentional foul" rule. Remember when the refs would cross their arms to indicate an intentional foul? That rule is no longer.

Instead, it has to be a flagrant foul, which has a long definition but basically requires excessive physical contact. The foul against Fair at the end of the Duke game was not flagrant. And the Cooney foul tonight was not flagrant. The issue on Cooney's foul was whether the continuing shot should have counted. By the terms of the rule and past practice, it should not have. But in the past couple of seasons refs have been more liberal on that call and it would not have been a shock had they given NC State the hoop on that play. It was basically a 50/50 call and SU was fortunate it was called the way it was.

I don't know if it was 50/50, thought it was clearly the right call. It might have been if Burr or Higgins was on the whistle. :eek:

Also seeing a lot of "clear path foul" stuff on twitter and whatnot...

There is no clear path foul in college to my knowledge.
And this wouldn't even be a clear path foul in the NBA

Also seeing a lot of "clear path foul" stuff on twitter and whatnot...

There is no clear path foul in college to my knowledge.
And this wouldn't even be a clear path foul in the NBA

Yeah, Cooney was, although clearly behind in the play, still close enough to make a legitimate play on the ball. It was a top level play by him, and it got a top level call by the ref. My hat's off to both of 'em.

thanks. i was not aware of the rule change. i thought that deliberate contact to a player with unimpeded progress to the basket was still whistled as (arms crossed) intentional.2 shots and possession. so you're saying it's flagrant 1 even if it's just a hand on the back or a jersey tug ?

When Ennis ended up getting knocked down from behind sliding on his stomach when he had a break away, I was wondering also if there was a call coming. The refs were consistent - it was just a common foul.