Question from bowl presser | Syracusefan.com

Question from bowl presser

javadoc

All American
It sounded like Dino said they only had half the guys committed they were going to. Or something like that. Anyone know what he meant?

Sounds like our recruiting class is only half full so far.

The coaches are still plugging away.
You mean possibly more Xmas presents beneath the tree?
I can’t take it.

He says, “half of our kids are already committed and you’ve got to realize they committed off of our Virginia tech win and our Clemson win and now half of those scholarships are not committed and we’re being introduced to a new brand of, a higher brand of athletes who are really excited about...”...”...”we’re getting introduced to a new set of athletes or higher stars however you want to put that”...

Goes on to say - paraphrasing - high school coaches are excited that Syracuse is back and seem to be helping. Still thinks this season will pay the biggest dividends in 2020.

As far as open ships, if he’s literal and we’re going to take 8-10 more kids then buckle up. I’ll let them manage the numbers I’m just going to enjoy the ride.

which is a good size for every class to be.. if you get a mix of 4 and 5 yr guys in every class and then the few that leave you have room to turn the team over every 4 yrs. Small classes have less room for error.

It did come across a little weird the way he worded it but I was thinking that he meant half the kids they are visiting are committed while the other half are uncommitted prospects that we are recruiting. We surely won’t have room for all the uncommitted as there is some kind of pecking order and priority list but they have to cover all bases.

which is a good size for every class to be.. if you get a mix of 4 and 5 yr guys in every class and then the few that leave you have room to turn the team over every 4 yrs. Small classes have less room for error.

If Dino is taking 8-10 more, than means bye to Pickard, Butler and others with eligibility I'd guess.

I took it as we had 10 verbals before the season started. We added 4 during the season (well since late November). I'm thinking another 6-8 they are trying to get to sign.

If Dino is taking 8-10 more, than means bye to Pickard, Butler and others with eligibility I'd guess.

After re-reading and listening a few times I think NJneer12 is right. Half of the kids were committed before the season and the other half were not. We had 11 before the season w/Burnett, have 4 since the season started. 6 more would be exactly half. I'd guess we'll take 20.

I went through the roster again and there are definitely kids who 'could' leave based on their depth chart standing. I hate that sophomore has become the new junior in terms of playing time. I don't think many if any of these below kids leave but future PT might be issue.

rising seniors:
Cordy - including him because he could return, but seems unlikely at this point.
Grosvenor - rare that a juco transfer transfers out but he's nowhere near the rotation.
Byrne
Duerig - he gets playing time
Pickard
Carl Jones
Butler - Including him because he was benched and then replaced in the rotation. Minutes dwindled but is still playing. Special team starter as far as I could tell. I think he sticks but you never know. I'd like to see him try DB.

rising juniors:
Rex Culpepper - no way
Tim Walton - LB/DE
Markenzy Pierre

rising sophomores (jury is out on the 2 WRs, they'll need big offseason/springs.)
Zach Morton
Russell TB
Kadeem Trotter
Cam Jordan

*Jesse Connors - is he on scholarship?

*there's a couple of other kids I didn't list who I wouldn't be shocked by.

Connors is a PWO...

I think Cordy is already gone... I'd say Bryne and Jones are definitely possibilities especially if they have their degrees and want to be a grad transfer somewhere...

There's quite a bit more room at the Inn. They will be improving the quality of our overall talent over the next few weeks/months. They're on a roll right now.

As for tranfers, graduation, etc... the staff has a very good idea who is and isn't coming back at this point. That being said, they know how many spots they have open, which is 4-6 more I'd guess.

There's quite a bit more room at the Inn. They will be improving the quality of our overall talent over the next few weeks/months. They're on a roll right now.

As for tranfers, graduation, etc... the staff has a very good idea who is and isn't coming back at this point. That being said, they know how many spots they have open, which is 4-6 more I'd guess.

4-6 was what I was thinking. I still think there's going to be a couple of wow's coming up. At least on the OV front.

980x (1).gif

rising seniors:

Butler - Including him because he was benched and then replaced in the rotation. Minutes dwindled but is still playing. Special team starter as far as I could tell. I think he sticks but you never know. I'd like to see him try DB.

I don't see Butler at DB. One of his major problems, to me, was that he got alligator arms on passes over the middle where he might take a hit. If you shy away from contact, you're not going to be a good DB.

I don't see Butler at DB. One of his major problems, to me, was that he got alligator arms on passes over the middle where he might take a hit. If you shy away from contact, you're not going to be a good DB.
Eh...big difference between being the hammer and being the nail.

you don't need to catch the ball to be a DB.

After re-reading and listening a few times I think NJneer12 is right. Half of the kids were committed before the season and the other half were not. We had 11 before the season w/Burnett, have 4 since the season started. 6 more would be exactly half. I'd guess we'll take 20.

I went through the roster again and there are definitely kids who 'could' leave based on their depth chart standing. I hate that sophomore has become the new junior in terms of playing time. I don't think many if any of these below kids leave but future PT might be issue.

rising seniors:
Cordy - including him because he could return, but seems unlikely at this point.
Grosvenor - rare that a juco transfer transfers out but he's nowhere near the rotation.
Byrne
Duerig - he gets playing time
Pickard
Carl Jones

rising juniors:
Rex Culpepper - no way
Tim Walton - LB/DE
Markenzy Pierre

rising sophomores (jury is out on the 2 WRs, they'll need big offseason/springs.)
Zach Morton
Russell TB
Kadeem Trotter
Cam Jordan

*Jesse Connors - is he on scholarship?

*there's a couple of other kids I didn't list who I wouldn't be shocked by.

I don't think Pierre played in 4 games and is eligible to redshirt, correct?

Eh...big difference between being the hammer and being the nail.
Yeah as in some personalities always see themselves as the hammer and others always view themselves as the nail.

I can think of plenty of receivers (and certain QBs) who relish the opportunity to demonstrate their dominance and plenty of DBs who shy from contact

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom