Question on Paterno legal situation & few thoughts | Syracusefan.com

Question on Paterno legal situation & few thoughts

-Is it not a crime in PA (or anywhere) to not report a felony sex assault on a child? I'm confused since it appears JP is on record as informing administration about this, but not the police. How is that not a crime? I must have missed something from the DA about this.

It seems JP reported this to the AD almost 9 years ago, so how can he possibly say "if true, he fooled us?" There is no possible way someone does not ask that question of him in the near future with a tv camera in his face. He cannot possibly get out of that one.

-If I were a PSU fan, it would not go to any games until JP resigned. How can a fan possibly watch and cheer for a product being led by one, that at best, has no morals, and most likely, should probably rot in jail. If PSU fans are decent people, there should be nobody there, or there with shirts demanding he step down.

-Last, how can anyone think other sports scandals are worse than this? A baseball scandal from 90 years ago is worse than raping 10 kids? If it were just the raper and only one other official, like JP, or the AD, it is still the entire program that washed its hands of the most disgusting thing imaginable. Nothing compares to this, nothing.

They should all go to jail.

After the first time it was reported, I can understand PSU wanting to keep it quiet. It wouldn't have been right, but I can see the logic. But at that point they should have told Sandusky, we don't want to see you step foot in the state of PA ever again. Now this would be morally wrong, but they had to protect the institution.

What makes PSU's actions worse is that they allowed him to stay on campus, with access to just about everything. By doing so they harbored this sicko and actually helped him succeed in his actions. Do you think if he had sleep over camps at his house in MD that parents would be as willing to send their kids? By having them at PSU it gave legitimacy to this sicko. He was able to leverage the PSU name. PSU gave him the means to get kids to violate. That IMO makes them just as guilty. That is on top of not reporting it to the police.

Just heard a reporter on the Diane Rehm show say that when the GA went to Paterno to tell him about what he saw, Paterno immediately cut him off and said this is too graphic for me you need to report this to the AD. In otherwords, according to this reporter, Paterno, never heard the actual accusations from the GA. That's going to be his defense.

They should all go to jail.

After the first time it was reported, I can understand PSU wanting to keep it quiet. It wouldn't have been right, but I can see the logic. But at that point they should have told Sandusky, we don't want to see you step foot in the state of PA ever again. Now this would be morally wrong, but they had to protect the institution.

What makes PSU's actions worse is that they allowed him to stay on campus, with access to just about everything. By doing so they harbored this sicko and actually helped him succeed in his actions. Do you think if he had sleep over camps at his house in MD that parents would be as willing to send their kids? By having them at PSU it gave legitimacy to this sicko. He was able to leverage the PSU name. PSU gave him the means to get kids to violate. That IMO makes them just as guilty. That is on top of not reporting it to the police.

Just heard a reporter on the Diane Rehm show say that when the GA went to Paterno to tell him about what he saw, Paterno immediately cut him off and said this is too graphic for me you need to report this to the AD. In otherwords, according to this reporter, Paterno, never heard the actual accusations from the GA. That's going to be his defense.

Thanks, noexuse, that must be the answer and defense which gives him plausible deniability. Though, I cannot imagine he lasts another week or so in the court of public opinion.

King, that is a good post. Not reporting it to the police is clearly immoral, though according to noexuse's post about his excuse, probably not illegal. But, a good DA might show that if he sanctioned his return to the facilities, the harboring you mentioned, there might be a crime there.

Have to agree he will lose in the court of public opinion. I was thinking he could have gone out on a high note and retired before this all came out, but in the end he still would have been tarnished anyway as the evidence came out.

There doesn't seem to be much to tell - where would he cut him off before saying it was too graphic.

GA: "Coach, I walked into the shower and Coach Sanduskey and a kid were..."

Paterno: "Too Graphic, too graphic!"

From that I would assume either Paterno knew exactly where the story was going already, or I don't know, the kid went into a strange amount of detail. The kid was being raped/sodomized, whatever term you use, I don't think you're going with a ton of build up for the suspense of it all.

Throw them in jail, Penn ST fans should boycott every home game until the current staff lead by the Penn St icon, Joe Paterno is FIRED... People should say enough is enough, I know the kids at Penn St right now didn't do anything wrong, but the guy who has been head of the program for 100 years is a ing scum bag and should be treated as such, the house that he built should be burned to the ground... The Joe Pa brand and coaching lineage dies last Saturday. ing scum bag and McQueary should be ashamed of himself, what if that was his kid? Are you kidding me.. All the coaches that have been there for an extended period of time knew something, they know it, we all know it, it's complete nonsense. Deplorable actions

There are more important things than tailgating and college football, make a ing statement people, MAKE A STATEMENT as opposed to sitting on your hands and pretending like all will be OK.

There doesn't seem to be much to tell - where would he cut him off before saying it was too graphic.

GA: "Coach, I walked into the shower and Coach Sanduskey and a kid were..."

Paterno: "Too Graphic, too graphic!"

From that I would assume either Paterno knew exactly where the story was going already, or I don't know, the kid went into a strange amount of detail. The kid was being raped/sodomized, whatever term you use, I don't think you're going with a ton of build up for the suspense of it all.

The GA was probably nervous and stumbling with his description of what happened. After all he had witnessed an extremely troubling scene and he was going before God Pa himself to report it. Paterno says he felt uncomfortable with what the GA was "trying to say". Maybe he was. Maybe he already knew or suspected. Seems like a flimsy excuse. Could also be part of a coverup. "You take care of me kid and I will take care of you".

More BS. That may be a defense but it's not an excuse. Paterno already knew what Sandusky had been doing previously. As soon as the GA said word one, Paterno should have jumped out of his chair and taken things into his own hands and called the police, Sandusky, the AD, everyone.

Legally it depends on the statute. There is no common law duty
to report a crime.
Sent from my Vortex using Tapatalk

Do you think if he had sleep over camps at his house in MD that parents would be as willing to send their kids? By having them at PSU it gave legitimacy to this sicko.

It probably did give legitimacy, but at the same time, some of these kids DID sleep over at his home. Whether it's because of the family situation of these disadvantaged kids or something else, parents DID send their children to sleep at his home.

That's called willful blindness. Wait until the civil suits start rolling in.

More BS. That may be a defense but it's not an excuse. Paterno already knew what Sandusky had been doing previously. As soon as the GA said word one, Paterno should have jumped out of his chair and taken things into his own hands and called the police, Sandusky, the AD, everyone.

If you hear 57 year old man naked in the shower with a 10 year old, that should be enough, case closed. Complete and utter nonsense

I heard that Diane Rehm show...the reporter also said that in PA as long as the individual in an organization reports the incident to a higher up the legal duty to report a possible crime passes to the higher up. The reporter implied that legally Paterno is not subject to prosecution as far as that responsibility is concerned.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bspencer309

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom