Question: Penn State Decommits | Syracusefan.com

Question: Penn State Decommits

MaxwellCuse

All Conference
It almost seems wrong to ask this question in light of all that is being revealed, but how long do you think it will be before Joe Pa's recruits begin decommitting? I would be shocked if PSU holds on to most of these guys now that it is clear that Paterno is not the person they thought he was and Penn State is not the place they thought it was. Yesterday I was sort of equivocating on whether or not SU should be talking to selected PSU commits, but it seems that Paterno's firing changes the dynamics considerably. No doubt some coaches have already been working the phones. I hope SU isn't asleep at the switch.

Marrone / recruiters should just call the players who committed to PSU that SU had also been recruiting and let them know they are welcome at SU if they decide they no longer want to go to PSU. That's it. No need to bash PSU... just let the players know they are still wanted at SU if they are interested.

No room... they might make some exceptions though. ;)

It almost seems wrong to ask this question in light of all that is being revealed, but how long do you think it will be before Joe Pa's recruits begin decommitting? I would be shocked if PSU holds on to most of these guys now that it is clear that Paterno is not the person they thought he was and Penn State is not the place they thought it was. Yesterday I was sort of equivocating on whether or not SU should be talking to selected PSU commits, but it seems that Paterno's firing changes the dynamics considerably. No doubt some coaches have already been working the phones. I hope SU isn't asleep at the switch.

If you have a chance to get involved with a big boy recruit then you do it. If there are lesser talented kids already committed then you offer them to grayshirt and defer enrollment. It’s a dick move I know but this is how big boy programs operate.

I don't think you call all the kids up, I think you have to wait until they say "Hey, in light of everything going on at PSU, I'm going to open myself back up to other programs," and then go from there.

In the next couple of classes the combination of PSU being toxic and the move to the ACC will help boost recruiting for Pitt and SU, in that order. I think in this class you would have to be very selective and tread lightly.

In the next couple of classes the combination of PSU being toxic and the move to the ACC will help boost recruiting for Pitt and SU, in that order. I think in this class you would have to be very selective and tread lightly.
I agree... Ultimately Pitt will be the biggest beneficiary to PSU's dive.

Exactly. A rising tide.

If one or more PSU recruits wants out of a bad situation, and we can help, hey, great.

But I'm not going to get giddy about it. IMO, that's ghoulish.

Looking at the PSU commit list, the only player that i recognize as a disappointing recuiting loss was JP Holtz. He is a TE and i doubt we would take a third. i assume any "help" we get this year is someone like Akeel Lynch.

Shady is contacting each one just like last year when Pitt fired Wannstadt

Looking at the PSU commit list, the only player that i recognize as a disappointing recuiting loss was JP Holtz. He is a TE and i doubt we would take a third. i assume any "help" we get this year is someone like Akeel Lynch.

Shady only had to make 1 call, to Cignetti.

NOT REALLY...Marrone is a fairly new head coach who came out of the NFL and he is just now starting to get his foot in the door of many high schools now.

this would be not a very good time to burn bridges with programs where the coaches could start talking to one another saying doug does not honor his words or commitments.

doug even said it was hard to break down barriers that some high school coaches have set up in place.soft verbals who keep looking around i say go for it,as for the solids,you don't burn them

You can get creative without burning bridges. Offering a gray-shirt or even suggesting a Prep year doesn't nullify the scholarship. I don't think there's anything wrong with approaching some of the commits and see if they'd be willing to go gray-shirt or prep to make room. I think it gets a little stickier if you're forcing that option on them - in that case I can see where some feelings or relationships could get hurt.

We see it in basketball sometimes where a kid walks-on for a year to make scholarship room for someone else. If the kids are approached and they agree to it, I see no problem with it. But it has to be their choice.

Pick up the phone if it rings but do not make an outgoing call. This subject matter is so toxic that making a call on this just brings Marrone to a sleazy level. Anyone still uncommitted is fair game but committed kids in this case will do nothing but make us look bad. Plus I don't think Marrone can pull off the Schiano-esque sales approach.

We were also involved with WR Malik Golden and OLB Nyeem Wartman but I don't recall ever being a finalist for either of them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom