Question regarding Joseph. | Syracusefan.com

Question regarding Joseph.

STEVEHOLT

There are FIVE letters in the name BLAIN.
So was the plan when recruiting him that he would evenutally become the point guard after sitting behind TE for a year or was it never really in the plan for him to be running the point and this is strictly out of emergent need?

He really seems quite comfortable out there when he is dribbling to attack the rim and score. His handle is completelly different, however, when he is trying to just maintain possession and set up half court sets.

He just seems like a scorer who trying to turn into a point guard might be a fools errand.

He is taking a ton of flack on here and , no, he hasnt' been good. But it would seem he is being asked to do something that he had no business being asked to do.

My understanding was that he was never intended to start. He was supposed to take a year to learn and get stronger. With TE leaving and no other PGs on the roster he got his turn early. Expectations of him need to be tempered. TE came in with impressive maturity in his game which I think was based on his style of play. Joseph will get better but he is a good freshman og playing like a good freshman pg. He isn't an elite player and was never intended to be playing a lot right now.

Kaleb knew he was recruited as a point guard and was listed as a top 10 pg on most recruiting sites. He seems like a great kid and is a life long 'cuse fan. I'm definitely rooting for him and I hope he figures it all out cuz I'm sure there's a lot of freshman PG's who wish they were in Kaleb's shoes right now.

My understanding was that he was never intended to start. He was supposed to take a year to learn and get stronger. With TE leaving and no other PGs on the roster he got his turn early. Expectations of him need to be tempered. TE came in with impressive maturity in his game which I think was based on his style of play. Joseph will get better but he is a good freshman og playing like a good freshman pg. He isn't an elite player and was never intended to be playing a lot right now.

Nobody expected ennis 2.0 or even Flynn 1.5, but I expected a top 50 recruit to be able to manage the game a little better. You can't call him a good freshman when he's too timid to use his own crossover to initiate some offense in the half court. True PG's simply do not give out free cookies the way that kaleb has thus far.

Nobody expected ennis 2.0 or even Flynn 1.5, but I expected a top 50 recruit to be able to manage the game a little better. You can't call him a good freshman when he's too timid to use his own crossover to initiate some offense in the half court. True PG's simply do not give out free cookies the way that kaleb has thus far.
I don't think anyone ever called him a "True PG". I think he played a lot of 2 guard in HS. He was never meant to be starting at PG right now which is the the problem. My eyes say he is a good "freshman". Freshman make mistakes. He certainly isn't bad. Yes he has made bad plays but he also has made good plays. MCW used to do some horrible things his freshman year and he shot the ball like a soccer player throwing the ball in from out of bounds. Point is he is going to take time to build confidence in a new role.

He is definitely a true point guard. But he is a freshman point guard and he's learning...he'll get better and as that happens the team will get better...

So was the plan when recruiting him that he would evenutally become the point guard after sitting behind TE for a year or was it never really in the plan for him to be running the point and this is strictly out of emergent need?

He really seems quite comfortable out there when he is dribbling to attack the rim and score. His handle is completelly different, however, when he is trying to just maintain possession and set up half court sets.

He just seems like a scorer who trying to turn into a point guard might be a fools errand.

He is taking a ton of flack on here and , no, he hasnt' been good. But it would seem he is being asked to do something that he had no business being asked to do.

I think confidence is as big of an issue right now as his handle.

Joseph was supposed to back up Ennis for a year before being handed the reins. He'll get better.

Not true, there were a number of posters who wondered if KJ would be one and done. Some posters suggested KJ would be better than TE because he would push the tempo of the game.

Man - he is 9 games into his college career. People here are spoiled. The kid will be a great player.

The Plan was really to have MCW starting this year, TE PhD finally seeing some burn as a soph (after we all screamed last year that he should be getting more mins) and have Joseph play the Buss role this year (probable DNP/CD last game).

I see a lot of stuff about whether KJ was a "true" PG or not in HS. I watched him about 10x in HS/AAU ball. He was the main ball handler in every game. With his HS team they would run a four out, one in offense where ball movement was a must. So basically he would just bring the ball up and it would get passed around until somebody had an open shot. It wasn't really an offense where he would just come down and direct traffic on his own. On his AAU team everything was different. He was given more freedom to lead the way and direct traffic 100% of the time. There was positives mixed in with the negatives, which is why I'm not at all surprised with the inconsistency of his play so far. I liked his upside down the line coming in and think he'll be better with experience, but for now we'll just have to deal with the Freshman growing pains and yes it's very painful at the moment lol.

Boeheim has KJ on a steep learning curve , near vertical , which is scary to watch . He is usually successful with such maneuvers .

Not true, there were a number of posters who wondered if KJ would be one and done. Some posters suggested KJ would be better than TE because he would push the tempo of the game.

Welcome to the board. People have unrealistically high expectations every year regarding incoming recruits. They are usually the quickest to jump off the bandwagon and rip the guys apart for not meeting the high expectations that the poster created on their own.

It does seem that the people who follow recruiting closely, and who watch all the highlite videos, get a little too optimistic about players' ability to contribute early. I think this is just human nature, not a serious flaw in them. That's not to say they aren't flawed, no doubt some seriously, but I also don't think these posters are the ones who turn on the kids. To the contrary, they tend to get emotionally attached to certain kids and 'defend' them against all criticism, and continue to have unrealistically high expectations. A good case in point would be DCII who, after a fairly dismal frosh season, was still being promoted as a two and done. Roberson is another, but his injury is a bit of an X factor.

Welcome to the board. People have unrealistically high expectations every year regarding incoming recruits. They are usually the quickest to jump off the bandwagon and rip the guys apart for not meeting the high expectations that the poster created on their own.