Questions From A UW Fan | Syracusefan.com

Questions From A UW Fan

HuskyHooper

Walk On
Washington fan here, got some questions if you guys don't mind asking. Just skimming through your forum, it seems that Mike Hopkins is thought of very highly here.

Overall, what do you think of the hire? How did he do as the HC during Boheim's suspension? I think he was 4-5.

I have heard that Hopkins has basically been running the program for the past few years while Boheim is just the head figure. Is this true?

Is Hopkins considered a good recruiter? What are his strengths and weaknesses when it comes to recruiting?

Probably not likely, but do you see any of your current players following him to UW?

I'm well aware that he will likely run the 2-3 zone, but what kind of offense do you guys run? Or what kind of offense do you expect him to run at UW?

Any further insight on him would be great. As a huge fan of UW Hoops, I was a little disappointed at first, but after hearing how highly thought of he is, I'm starting to really like the hire. As many of you know, the past several years for UW basketball has been pretty rough.

Quickly:

Hop did the best he could during JB's suspension, we didn't beat any good teams, but it's hard to come in halfway through a season.

Hop is definitely a good recruiter

I doubt any of our current roster will leave, and I doubt any commits will follow him.

Washington fan here, got some questions if you guys don't mind asking. Just skimming through your forum, it seems that Mike Hopkins is thought of very highly here.

Overall, what do you think of the hire? How did he do as the HC during Boheim's suspension? I think he was 4-5.

I have heard that Hopkins has basically been running the program for the past few years while Boheim is just the head figure. Is this true?

Is Hopkins considered a good recruiter? What are his strengths and weaknesses when it comes to recruiting?

Probably not likely, but do you see any of your current players following him to UW?

I'm well aware that he will likely run the 2-3 zone, but what kind of offense do you guys run? Or what kind of offense do you expect him to run at UW?

Any further insight on him would be great. As a huge fan of UW Hoops, I was a little disappointed at first, but after hearing how highly thought of he is, I'm starting to really like the hire. As many of you know, the past several years for UW basketball has been pretty rough.
He's a great guy. Loyal to a fiault. Great recruiter/ mentor Don't know about his defensive approach but doubt it will be only zone. Capable but unproven. Players love him good luck to him and your program

Hopkins is very well thought of by just about everybody at SU.

Whether or not he runs the Zone exclusively as SU does or not is an open question. Syracuse transitioned into a Zone-only team over a number of years and recruited some (not all) players specifically because they would be good in the zone. I'm sure you will see some Zone, but UW will not be a mirror image of SU, at least initially and maybe never.

You guys got a gem. Good recruiter and kids love him. One of the most positive, energetic people around. I said many times he's like a Pete Carroll. Sad to see him go, it's going to hurt. Don't worry about the 4-5 thing, if your boss is out sick, you don't redecorate the office.

he's no spring chicken. totally untested as a head coach. basically spent his entire career in one system.

and no he did not run the program . but i do wish him and your program the best of luck moving forward.

You guys got a gem. Good recruiter and kids love him. One of the most positive, energetic people around. I said many times he's like a Pete Carroll. Sad to see him go, it's going to hurt. Don't worry about the 4-5 thing, if your boss is out sick, you don't redecorate the office.
LOL
I'd pay good money to see Hop and Pete do a conference together.

Hop is genuinely a great guy off the court. It's hard to tell without running you're own program, so i'm not going to judge him based on games he filled in while JB was suspended. Hop has proven he is a great recruiter, but i'm interested to see how he does in a new territory. Ultimately I think Hop is a winner. He will run a program you will be proud of and my money is on him being very successful.

Great hire. The suspension was record can;t really be considered much. It wasn't "his" team.

He is very active at practices, but JB ran the show and made the decisions.

He was once voted by his fellow assistant coaches as "the most feared recruiter."
That would surprise me, personally.

I would expect a lot of different defensive looks. I don;t know the UW players. Hop will adapt as he sees fit.

See above answers in bold. Hop is a great man, the players and community love him. He is super high-energy and wears his heart on his sleeve. You got a great coach! we will miss him, but I am personally happy for him and his family.

Last edited:
I'll answer your question with a post I made on the newside:

"Coach-in-waiting" tag notwithstanding, this could be a great move for Hop. He's worn that title for much longer than his official designation, but he still needs to prove himself. Wouldn't he rather go to a floundering program with low expectations and little basketball tradition and impress the fans than follow a HOF coach at his alma mater with a rabid fan base and fail with anything less than final four appearances? Seems like a no-brainer to me. Besides, GMAC is younger and can wait out the next year or more if JB changes his mind without getting tarnished by the wait as Hop may have been.

Much thanks, though, to Coach Hop for all the work he's put in at SU as a player, coach and superb recruiter. Best of luck with the Huskies and your attempt to recruit those other Ball kids!-VBOF

P.S.: Not meaning to make an intentional slam at UWBB, but it's just the "rain-shadow" effect of pushing BB at an FB school, which I presume you're used to. Maybe Hop can do something about that . . . he certainly has the energy. SUBB fan base is one of the most widespread, vocal and discerning you'll find this side of UK and the other "blue bloods." If they like Hop, he must be good.

I would be stunned if mike doesn't kick ass in Seattle. There are a lot of great players there to recruit and mike can recruit. High energy guy. First class man. He will make you a contender in the PAC 12.

I would be stunned if mike doesn't kick ass in Seattle. There are a lot of great players there to recruit and mike can recruit. High energy guy. First class man. He will make you a contender in the PAC 12.
OT: The patriotism of your avatar is admirable in these times of strife. God Bless America!

Hop is a great guy, players coach. Seems to be the guy who consoles players after JB beats em up. As you know being a HC requires difficult decisions and at times chew into players always unclear if an assist can transition to a HC so a risk from that perspective. Hope he does well.

The 4-5 thing is insignificant. Lots of our fans thought that was indicative of Hopkins as a coach, but under JB this year, we lost the same kinds of games.

After your first press conference and interview, you'll likely fall for Hopkins. I'm sad we are losing him.

Doubt our players will follow him, but maybe that depends on the next show to drop here...

Good hire. Congrats. Washington is all of a sudden my second favorite team.

Probably don't need to add to this as the praise has been great in this thread.

I've met him a few times, genuine, funny, and overall nice guy.

Recruiting, was named over and over one of the best assistant coaches when it comes to recruiting. He has a great eye.

Experience, from what I've heard, he's been running practices for quite some time and we've had some great successes.

My prediction, the 6 years is what is needed. I think you'll see some great results around year 3. You grabbed a great coach and after the stinker of this year I don't think he'll have the additional pressure from the fan base that he'd have here.

Hopkins is a good man, recruiter, and I expect will be an outstanding HC. Expect him to play a variety of defenses and not primarily zone. Was a long term understudy to a HOF coach Boeheim and worked with the Olympic teams with Duke' s coach K as well.

Smart high character guy who will contribute to your community and university in a very positive way. Was expected to be the heir to Boeheim' s tenure at SU until today which saddens and concerns many of us. You got a fine coach that all of us like. Your program just gained an army of fans, though we wear Orange first and foremost.

There has been concern that he's always been the head assistant coach and not a head coach, but many of us expect him to thrive and hope for great success for him.

He's been a lead recruiter for us and worked closely with the players in many capacities for a long time. He could have been a head coach a long time ago but chose to stay here out of friendships and loyalties with and to the SU community and Boeheim.

He's already missed but we expect the move to Washington is good for his family and career. Congratulations to Coach Hopkins and the University of Washington. It'll be good for all of you...

Echo the responses above. Hop has been named one of the top recruiters in the game for several years running. GREAT guy, players' coach and there will be more than a few orange fans wearing just a little touch of purple next year. Well, we would if it weren;t so Clemson-y!

No one from the current roster will be going with him. 4 of the 9 scholarship players were seniors and 2 (or 3 if you believe everything you read) are at least fringe NBA draft early entrant candidates and would never dream of sitting out a year. 1 is coming off a redshirt year after already transferring once and missed most of this season with an injury. I'll reserve comment on the 9th but spend a few minutes on this board and you'll figure that one out too.

As to the first point any thought that anyone other than JB has been "running the program" is ill informed. Due to USA Basketball commitments and NCAA sanctions limiting us to two coaches on the road recruiting (as well as his sons' burgeoning AAU careers) Boeheim may have been a bit less visible over the summer than previously but there is absolutely no question who runs the program.

All you need to know is that when he played here he led the team in floor burns. All heart! He will get it done.

Great guy, great recruiter, great bball mind, its hard to say what kind of head coach he is going to be, we were all wondering the same thing if he took over for Boeheim.

Hop had been running the practices at SU the last few years, but this has still very much been Boeheim's program in terms of in-game coaching and the directing of recruiting efforts.

That said, Hop is a very enthusiastic and personable guy, a strong recruiter and a bright basketball mind. You are lucky to be getting him, and I think he will be very successful at UW. At the very least, he will represent your university well.

You changed your avatar! The world is coming to an end!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom