Quick look at the roster thoughts | Syracusefan.com

Quick look at the roster thoughts

GoSU96

Living Legend
1. OL is the biggest worry on the team right now. Numbers more than anything else. 13 OL including newcomers.

2. Roster balance in terms of numbers and classes is about perfect on defense. Only issue is figuring out who fills the gap at safety. Candidates could be McFarlane, Scissum, Whigham, Morgan, or one of the new WRs (Winfield, Cooper, Estime)

3. Speaking of WR's, 12?!?! And by my accounting, which could be wrong, Extreme please correct, one Sr, Clark. If Flemming played at all last year he would be another.

4. This defense could be really good next year.

ugh Duron Singleton, why oh why! :bang:

1. OL is the biggest worry on the team right now. Numbers more than anything else. 13 OL including newcomers.

2. Roster balance in terms of numbers and classes is about perfect on defense. Only issue is figuring out who fills the gap at safety. Candidates could be McFarlane, Scissum, Whigham, Morgan, or one of the new WRs (Winfield, Cooper, Estime)

3. Speaking of WR's, 12?!?! And by my accounting, which could be wrong, Extreme please correct, one Sr, Clark. If Flemming played at all last year he would be another.

4. This defense could be really good next year.
Good thoughts Go. While on the subject of the roster, which can be access from the Additional Content drop down menu from the football or football recruiting boards, Extreme, if you would be so kind as to review it for accuracy, I would appreciate it. The goal is to have an up to date roster with accurate classes, based on remaining eligibility. Doesn't look like the SU Athletics site is ever going to get there.

Also, I will be moving the members of the new class on to the roster shortly (instead of listing them separately below the roster). Probably tomorrow.

There's just no way one of the new WR's plays safety - not out of the gate. And Estime is 5-9. Please no more midget safeties.

Kelly is going to play safety - so we'll have him, wilkes, desir and eskridge. not ideal. somebody will probably have to move.

I'd leave Whigham, Morgan and McFarlane right where they are. Start Scissum out at safety.

If someone is going to move I see it being Morgan because he's the biggest hitter.

There's just no way one of the new WR's plays safety - not out of the gate. And Estime is 5-9. Please no more midget safeties.

Kelly is going to play safety - so we'll have him, wilkes, desir and eskridge. not ideal. somebody will probably have to move.

I'd leave Whigham, Morgan and McFarlane right where they are. Start Scissum out at safety.

If someone is going to move I see it being Morgan because he's the biggest hitter.

I think you need to get 6 kids at the position. My thinking on Estime is he would go to corner to allow someone to slide over.

I guess you could always cross train Anderson or Morgan in case depth became a real issue.

Good thoughts Go. While on the subject of the roster, which can be access from the Additional Content drop down menu from the football or football recruiting boards, Extreme, if you would be so kind as to review it for accuracy, I would appreciate it. The goal is to have an up to date roster with accurate classes, based on remaining eligibility. Doesn't look like the SU Athletics site is ever going to get there.

Eskridge and Vigille both redshirted in 2011, they should be listed as Sophs.

Ron Thompson is a RF.

Rene "might" be eligible for a hardship waiver due to the injury he had in 2010. I don't know if he'll even apply. Keep him as a SR for now.

I
I think you need to get 6 kids at the position. My thinking on Estime is he would go to corner to allow someone to slide over.

I guess you could always cross train Anderson or Morgan in case depth became a real issue.

Gotchya. I figured Estime for corner to but he's saying they recruited him for the slot.

I place a premium on corners so I'd prefer Morgan (and Whigham) stay at corner but Morgan is the first kid I think we'll move over if necessary. Really hope Eskridge makes the jump to the next level and that Kelly is at least as good as Orlando Fisher was.

Eskridge and Vigille both redshirted in 2011, they should be listed as Sophs.

Ron Thompson is a RF.

Rene "might" be eligible for a hardship waiver due to the injury he had in 2010. I don't know if he'll even apply. Keep him as a SR for now.

Speaking of redshirts, this last class, Broyld, Norton, Morgan, Whigham are the only true freshmen that played last year, right.

How cool is that.

Agree that O-Line is a concern. Macky is entrenched at Center, Trudo and Hickey will start- but left or right? Is Foy ready to go full time, can Palmer step it up, is Miller the answer at guard? And holy god, who plays the other tackle spot- Phillips, Robinson, Knapp- can we have someone step in to the tackle spot (not named Sean Hickey) who isn't a matador?

I disagree with you on numbers, though. We had twelve going in to last season and lost 2 (Curtis and Barrett). The numbers are going back up. Yes, 13 is still too few. But you can't bring in 6 or 7 offensive linemen in one class.

And PS- you're right on the for frosh. Broyld, Wigham, Morgan, and Norton were the only four to see time in the fall.

Speaking of redshirts, this last class, Broyld, Norton, Morgan, Whigham are the only true freshmen that played last year, right.

How cool is that.

Excellent.

I like Esk at saftey...Something about him...6'3 210...He looked good in the time he got last year.

Seems like we're always short of linemen.

Hard to believe they couldn't recruit a true safety in this class with the lack of depth there.

I'd like to keep MacFarlane at tailback. Moving him over will just create depth problems next year at tailback.

Someone needs to move to safety... Not sure who but we are woefully thin there... Maybe we look at a transfer?

Agree that O-Line is a concern. Macky is entrenched at Center, Trudo and Hickey will start- but left or right? Is Foy ready to go full time, can Palmer step it up, is Miller the answer at guard? And holy god, who plays the other tackle spot- Phillips, Robinson, Knapp- can we have someone step in to the tackle spot (not named Sean Hickey) who isn't a matador?

I disagree with you on numbers, though. We had twelve going in to last season and lost 2 (Curtis and Barrett). The numbers are going back up. Yes, 13 is still too few. But you can't bring in 6 or 7 offensive linemen in one class.

And PS- you're right on the for frosh. Broyld, Wigham, Morgan, and Norton were the only four to see time in the fall.
Can bring in 6-7 lineman if we had more room and didn't whiff on some, also 1-2 more lineman in place of 1-2 WR, but I like the guys we got

I think they can put together a first five, not all that concerned, but we will see. Along with numbers is the coaching. Going from Marrone and Adkins to a journeyman guy who was out of football last year is a big drop off.

Someone needs to move to safety... Not sure who but we are woefully thin there... Maybe we look at a transfer?

My fish and loaves count is 85 right now. I might have missed a departure or two. I haven't checked my version against Extreme's or TC's.

I think they can put together a first five, not all that concerned, but we will see. Along with numbers is the coaching. Going from Marrone and Adkins to a journeyman guy who was out of football last year is a big drop off.

I thought Perles was at KC last year. No ?

Did Ben Lewis play S in HS any chance that he moves as he has the size

Nope, he was released after Haley got booted. And he was the assistant OL coach.
Uh-oh... Didn't GROB have one of those NFL assistant OL coaches who was clueless on the college level?

My fish and loaves count is 85 right now. I might have missed a departure or two. I haven't checked my version against Extreme's or TC's.

With the Brown flip, we're at 84. One more seat at the table.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newmom4503

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom