Quick look at the roster thoughts | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Quick look at the roster thoughts

Seems like we're always short of linemen.

Hard to believe they couldn't recruit a true safety in this class with the lack of depth there.

I'd like to keep MacFarlane at tailback. Moving him over will just create depth problems next year at tailback.

Unfortunately I agree you cant move MacFarlane, thats why losing AE and Smith was such a huge blow, if forces us to keep MacFarlane at RB or risk a huge numbers problem if someone gets hurt or Jerome doesnt stay after this season. Might be wise to see if SU can dig up any under the radar guys or possibly transfers this spring.

With the Brown flip, we're at 84. One more seat at the table.

Nice, we match (for once).

I wonder if Go is counting the new long snapper as scholarship. I know I'm not, don't think you are either.

Maybe we add Jones as an athlete and get right to 85. I don't know if that's ever happened before.

Unfortunately I agree you cant move MacFarlane, thats why losing AE and Smith was such a huge blow, if forces us to keep MacFarlane at RB or risk a huge numbers problem if someone gets hurt or Jerome doesnt stay after this season. Might be wise to see if SU can dig up any under the radar guys or possibly transfers this spring.

Moving MacFarlane probably comes down to what Shafer wanted last year. If he wanted to keep him there (but was outvoted by Marrone) then maybe he talks to him and moves him back.

On the side of staying at RB, you figure that you don't want to keep shuttling the kid. Plus, as mentioned, since we didn't sign a RB, it makes it more likely to keep him where he is. I think you can get away with no RB in this class given what's there today.

I've missed a departure then. I'll figure it out someday.

Here's my 65 (as of 5:00 PM today):

Broyld, Morgan, Funderburk, Eskridge, Reddish
Desir, Vigille, Lyn, Anderson, Hunt
MPB, Spruill, Kinder, Hale, Loeb
Whigham, Flemming, PTG, George, Kobena
Davis, Morris, Wilkes, DMF, Rene
AAM, Davis, Clark, Krautman, Lynch
Coker, Smith, Fisher, Rodgers, Norton
Simmons, Crume, Trudo, Palmer, MacPherson
Hickey, Phillips, Sloan, Robinson, Coleman
Foy, Knapp, Emerich, Thompson, Cornelius
Beaulieu, Lewis, Wales, Foster, West
Parris, Washington, Walls, Robinson, Welsh
Manley, Bromley, Raymon, Barrett, Jones.

Maybe you're still counting Lou Alexander, or maybe you're counting Mitsuuchi as a scholarship.

Put me in the camp that believes for no reason whatsoever that MacFarlane will be a better running back than safety.

Moving MacFarlane probably comes down to what Shafer wanted last year. If he wanted to keep him there (but was outvoted by Marrone) then maybe he talks to him and moves him back.

On the side of staying at RB, you figure that you don't want to keep shuttling the kid. Plus, as mentioned, since we didn't sign a RB, it makes it more likely to keep him where he is. I think you can get away with no RB in this class given what's there today.

I agree with Morris and MacF redshirting its not a disaster we didnt bring in a RB, it gives you two guys with four year at least on paper. I do have to say im a little surprised we didnt offer Stanback or another RB if for nothign else depth purposes to move MacF back to safety. I think its likely we move one of the current WR on the roster to safety/CB.

I think its likely we move one of the current WR on the roster to safety/CB.
Yeah, we have a bunch of unproven, untested talent at wideout. Not crazy to think some of them have an easier road to PT by moving over to safety.

Speaking of redshirts, this last class, Broyld, Norton, Morgan, Whigham are the only true freshmen that played last year, right.

How cool is that.

Yeah, I think that is what we need to strive for. I also agree on the OL numbers -- even for good programs I think projecting how kids will turn out on the OL is one of the most difficult jobs a staff has. Injuries are an issue, how hard a kid works in the off-season, combination of size and athleticism and technique, etc. I really think it's a numbers game -- get 15 decent prospects and you have a much better chance of putting five solid OL on the field and having a couple decent, game-ready backups. I guess, however, this is probably as close as you get to ideal roster balance since it's never perfect. Good feeling after all the holes we had under GRob, and late P/early DM years.

Did Ben Lewis play S in HS any chance that he moves as he has the size
Ben Lewis was Mr. Versatile in high school. He played safety and defensive end at times. I'm thinking the coaches must be planning to switch him to DB. Otherwise, they just recruited over him.

My thought would be that four safeties is thin, but not a disaster since you should have some flexibility with decent size corners and good depth at that spot. I would have to think they could give Morgan and Anderson a bit of work there and prepare for that contingency without hurting the overall development of either. I also generally have felt Anderson may be a better safety than corner as well. I wouldn't think moving him is necessary, but I would think he could slide over there in a pinch and be a solid option.

Here's my 65 (as of 5:00 PM today):

Broyld, Morgan, Funderburk, Eskridge, Reddish
Desir, Vigille, Lyn, Anderson, Hunt
MPB, Spruill, Kinder, Hale, Loeb
Whigham, Flemming, PTG, George, Kobena
Davis, Morris, Wilkes, DMF, Rene
AAM, Davis, Clark, Krautman, Lynch
Coker, Smith, Fisher, Rodgers, Norton
Simmons, Crume, Trudo, Palmer, MacPherson
Hickey, Phillips, Sloan, Robinson, Coleman
Foy, Knapp, Emerich, Thompson, Cornelius
Beaulieu, Lewis, Wales, Foster, West
Parris, Washington, Walls, Robinson, Welsh
Manley, Bromley, Raymon, Barrett, Jones.

Maybe you're still counting Lou Alexander, or maybe you're counting Mitsuuchi as a scholarship.

I didn't delete Dixon from the scholarship roster.

We are short at safety, strong safety in particular. And guys who can play SS are often the heart of special teams coverage.

I am surprised at all the comments about 13 OL not being enough. We are in better shape there (in numbers) than we have been, though someone needs to step up at OT. Spare OL guys tend to sit out -- they don't contribute on specials, except for kick protection.
If we needed an extra OL, there are guys in the depth chart at DT who played OL (Sloan, Walls) and who might be buried in the depth chart on the DL.

Look for alot of the WR guys to be on specials let hope they can tackle

My fish and loaves count is 85 right now. I might have missed a departure or two. I haven't checked my version against Extreme's or TC's.
Mark 6:41, Luke 9:16, or Mathew 14-13-21?

OT is a big worry for me.. especially since they will start Moore at TE.

I think that Morgan has the mentality to play saftey and from day one would be better than Wilkes.

I think we will be much better defensively next year, especially if we can get some consistent pass rush from DEs.

Offensively, obviously QB will be the biggest hole to plug. I am a little down on the O no because of our skill guys but because it is extremely difficult to replace to 2 all BE guys.

I think our WRs are going to really surprise, extremely athletic group. RBs will be the strength of the team. TEs will also be solid if Thompson is healthy.

1. OL is the biggest worry on the team right now. Numbers more than anything else. 13 OL including newcomers.

2. Roster balance in terms of numbers and classes is about perfect on defense. Only issue is figuring out who fills the gap at safety. Candidates could be McFarlane, Scissum, Whigham, Morgan, or one of the new WRs (Winfield, Cooper, Estime)

3. Speaking of WR's, 12?!?! And by my accounting, which could be wrong, Extreme please correct, one Sr, Clark. If Flemming played at all last year he would be another.

4. This defense could be really good next year.

I must be in the minority thinking the offensive line will once again be very strong . Say what you want about DM but he could evaluate lineman . He was very high on knapp and emerich . I think knapp steps in to one tackle and hickey the other . We are loaded at guard and center . Thin at tackle but if knapp and hickey can stay healthy I think this could again be a strength

I think Lewis to safety or Morgan, the best will play and if that means Morgan to safety that is what it will be. I have no problem with no RB, with this recruiting staff we will get a good one or two next year, come this time next year we will all be saying "Gus Who"
Very excited for spring ball and this season, there is a different feel with HCSS and this staff, it has that college feel. I was a big Marrone fan, but he and his staff were blah!

With the Brown flip, we're at 84. One more seat at the table.
Good...we'll be in position to strike this week if some team's math doesn't work...or maybe we award a "Bromley" this summer.

Eskridge and Vigille both redshirted in 2011, they should be listed as Sophs.

Ron Thompson is a RF.

Rene "might" be eligible for a hardship waiver due to the injury he had in 2010. I don't know if he'll even apply. Keep him as a SR for now.
Updated. Thanks a lot.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newmom4503

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom