Quick point on our 2024 transfers | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Quick point on our 2024 transfers

Struggling to see where the OP said that he was expecting our transfers to be as good as the three who excelled for Alabama. Seems like he is just citing them to say that the schools our players are coming from is not a reason to think they have an overly limited ceiling for us this season. You put that with the fact that several of them did receive all conference awards and what not and I think it is a fair point. There have absolutely been posts disparaging our transfers simply because of the schools they are coming from. To me that is overly pessimistic and shows an extreme lack of faith in Red. He got us to twenty wins with players that those same people have ridiculed endlessly. Heck we could have snuck in the tourney if not for the NET. Red is going into year 2 more settled in. I have faith in the moves he made.

If I made a post suggesting Freeman could be just as good as Flagg this year. would that be reasonable as well? They are both Freshman, right?

Anyway, truly didn’t mean to disparage your point. I don’t think Bama is a good compare for our expectations. Thats it, I’ll leave it at that
Flagg might be the one player where that comparison might be a little too optimistic. And to be honest the only reason I picked Alabama is that I went to Ohio and watched Sears play there many times, I am originally from North Dakota and have family in the Devils Lake area so have known about Nelson since he was in high school. Being a Cuse fan it seems as if we recruited Estrada multiple times. I was familiar with them and didn't have to waste much time researching facts to show my only point.

Struggling to see where the OP said that he was expecting our transfers to be as good as the three who excelled for Alabama. Seems like he is just citing them to say that the schools our players are coming from is not a reason to think they have an overly limited ceiling for us this season. You put that with the fact that several of them did receive all conference awards and what not and I think it is a fair point. There have absolutely been posts disparaging our transfers simply because of the schools they are coming from. To me that is overly pessimistic and shows an extreme lack of faith in Red. He got us to twenty wins with players that those same people have ridiculed endlessly. Heck we could have snuck in the tourney if not for the NET. Red is going into year 2 more settled in. I have faith in the moves he made.
I think disparaging the transfers for where they came from shows a complete lack of understanding of what the current portal system is. I'm with you there. I DO think analyzing the numbers and production of what they did at their former team should be completely fair game though. If you want to combat that with, "Red knows what he's doing", we'll all have to wait and see...I'm hoping for that tourney bid too.

I don’t think it’s fair to be optimistic until proven otherwise. However, this team should be better than previous years. If Carlos can penetrate at all, and feed players, we should be fine. Eddie will open up the floor for everyone. We haven’t had a true back to the back center since who? ROC?
I think Carlos will be able to penetrate and kick, but won't be looking for many shots close to the bucket. Make the defense collapse and then kick it out to Bell, or draw a big out and dump it to Lampkin -- stuff like that. I'm more concerned that he can shoot threes 35-40%.

Not at all.
I never said they weren’t solid players

My point is if you are expecting Carlos and Davis to be Sears and Nelson, we’re going to be disappointed. That’s all. I think comparing them to a final 4 team with players that were Player of the Year level players on their old team is doing our guys a disservice.

Didn’t include Lampkin because the point of the post was to suggest that guys coming from mid majors/small majors can excel at the the ACC level which IS TRUE. I’m not disputing that.
The point is that this is your opinion and we all understand what you think. Some of us dont agree with you. Its simple. Time will tell hopefully our guys have a great year.

Flagg might be the one player where that comparison might be a little too optimistic. And to be honest the only reason I picked Alabama is that I went to Ohio and watched Sears play there many times, I am originally from North Dakota and have family in the Devils Lake area so have known about Nelson since he was in high school. Being a Cuse fan it seems as if we recruited Estrada multiple times. I was familiar with them and didn't have to waste much time researching facts to show my only point.
Send me some cheeks!

The point is that this is your opinion and we all understand what you think. Some of us dont agree with you. Its simple. Time will tell hopefully our guys have a great year.
Just to confirm...your opinion is that Carlos can be the level of player of Sears (the preseason player of the year this year). Thats your take?

if so, thats cool...I just want to understand what we're disagreeing about.

I think Carlos will be able to penetrate and kick, but won't be looking for many shots close to the bucket. Make the defense collapse and then kick it out to Bell, or draw a big out and dump it to Lampkin -- stuff like that. I'm more concerned that he can shoot threes 35-40%.

Precisely. If Carlos can make 35%, he'll play 25-30 minutes a game.

If he is below 30%, then we probably can't afford to have him out there for more than 20 minutes a game.

I think we have a number of guys who can create opportunities for others, and a number of guys who can make a three. Do well, or "next man up".

Precisely. If Carlos can make 35%, he'll play 25-30 minutes a game.

If he is below 30%, then we probably can't afford to have him out there for more than 20 minutes a game.

I think we have a number of guys who can create opportunities for others, and a number of guys who can make a three. Do well, or "next man up".
Looking at Carlos' three point shooting again, I suspect he had a lot of heaves at the end of the shot clock in his career. He seems to have good numbers in the catch and shoot, which is what we want him doing.

We have better players than him that will have the ball in their hands as the shot expires. He was "the man" at Hofstra and won't need to be that here. I think most of us expect Starling is going to be the guy who goes isolation when the clock is under 5 seconds and we just need a chance.

If he only takes good shots, his shooting percentage will be higher. Carlos isn't the only guy that fits that description... Lucas Taylor, Davis and Carlos all came from situations where they took too many shots to be efficient. They'll all be more efficient playing within the offense.

What opinion?
What is the "What does he think"?

He merely stated an objective fact as a follow up post Those Alabama transfers had far more collegiate pedigree than ours did and might not be the best comparable to our situation and what they can achieve That's not opinion - that's merely stating a fact.

In no way does that mean our transfers should be dismissed though either. He never stated that our transfers were crap or anything, or they couldn't be a real help to our team, but it was a balanced follow up to a fair point by the OP. But people, for example Dasher in post #7, decided to take his post totally out of context, throw in some insider views, and then attack it.

It wasn't a statement or "opinion" against Red, against the program, or whether we might have some success in 24/25 - and that some of those players we got could be starters or good depth pieces.

Last edited:
I'm not that high on Carlos if he's playing a ton that means Starlings glued to the 2 and Moore is out of the picture Taylor IDK.

Now is he worth using a schollie on absolutely and if his role grows bc he plays well that's fine.

I guess it comes down to JJ. We just all know he's playing the most minutes on the team even if he stinks and is missing shots and getting beat regularly. He's a talented kid and can totally get it together and make this his team.

I'm not that high on Carlos if he's playing a ton that means Starlings glued to the 2 and Moore is out of the picture Taylor IDK.

Now is he worth using a schollie on absolutely and if his role grows bc he plays well that's fine.

I guess it comes down to JJ. We just all know he's playing the most minutes on the team even if he stinks and is missing shots and getting beat regularly. He's a talented kid and can totally get it together and make this his team.

Yeah, ideally, Carlos is a 20 minute a game guy, maybe 25.
I want to see JJ below 30, unless he is our leading scorer.

That leaves 25-30 minutes for Moore, Cuffe, Lucas Taylor and maybe Westry.

Two of those guys are probably going to absorb most of the those minutes, and the other two are going to be left out. You can't really play more than 4 guards a game, not after Christmas.

In Westry's favor, he could play at SF, although he's competing with Jyare Davis, and Donnie Freeman when he gets a chance at the 3, for the minutes that don't go to Chris Bell.

I'd really like to see a lot of guys get at least 10-15 minutes, so the best players have a chance to catch the eye. There are a lot of new guys this year, and a lot of guys who are new to each other. I hope that, like last year, a lot of guys get a chance.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RedSoxNat

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom