Quick Post game thoughts-SU/BC | Syracusefan.com

Quick Post game thoughts-SU/BC

orangepassion

Nunzio Prophet
  • We had a lost fumble deep in our territory, punt blocked, missed FG, TD dropped, TD called back due to penalty and that might have all been just in the 1st quarter
  • The 1st 3 quarters were brutal to watch, most notably the lack of blocking and plethora of penalties
  • This included several 15 yard penalties on us, including one for excessive celebrating (That still gets called?) after a big play by Sparrow
  • Vetterello seems to always get a penalty at the absolute worst times. He's had 2 TD's come off the board just in the last 2 weeks and had at least 1 false start in the Red Zone when we had 3rd and 1. We've got to figure out why we're always at the bottom of the FBS when it comes to penalties.
  • We looked dead in the water when Shrader threw incomplete after being rushed in the pocket until...a big 15 yard roughing the passer penalty on BC. After this, we couldn't be stopped.
  • I think we need to let Shrader get crushed in the 1st quarter. He seems to play better after getting hit. He was fantastic in the 4th quarter
  • Oronde with some great catches. I'm extremely comfortable with our WR's next year if we can start Gadsden, Alford, and Adams with Pena. Alford has really come on
  • Mang continues to struggle some, though not as bad as earlier in the year
  • Was shocked to see what happened w/ Cruz-He seems like the nicest guy whenever I've seen him interviewed. I would be shocked if something like that ever happens w/ him again.
  • I thought the play calling was fine the whole game-The penalties and lack of blocking limit your options
  • Tremendous play by Caleb O on chasing down their QB, going after the ball, and stripping it.
  • Looking forward to hear the announcers say one more time that Cooper is the 1st receiver to have catches in 7 straight years. That is a requirement if you are broadcasting our game
  • Very important for recruiting momentum, both in recruiting our players/other players/recruits, to win that last regular season game and end on a positive note
  • Likely more to come after I watch the condensed game

Last edited:
I am flabbergasted that our center can have so many false start penalties. Shouldn't the center get one, maybe, in a whole career? He seems to get at least one per game.

The special teams and OL play need to be fixed for next season. When it comes to game management and overall discipline, Dino is gonna Dino. But the STs can be so much better. The OL lacks basic pass protect skills and gets too many penalties. We need the OL coach to fix that. We did they do different in the 4th Q and why wasn't that addressed earlier this season?

Most of them have been at C
Which is crazy. I don't understand how the guy snapping the ball can get a false start outside of some fluke like the strongest sneeze ever.

Last edited:
After seeing the condensed game last night, wanted to add:
  • While a couple of the sacks might have been been Shrader holding the ball too long, most of them he had no chance
  • His accuracy and running improved over the course of the game, which has happened with him before
  • We really struggled to run the ball b/w the tackles, as we have much of the year. Just struggling to knock guys off the ball, which is surprising for such an experienced line
  • A good 2-way TE could really bring this offense to the next level. I hope Villari or a transfer sees that.
  • Mikel's one of my favorite players at SU ever, but starting LB core of Stefon, Wax, and Sparrow should be very good
  • Every big play, I get nervous about a flag. This includes 2 of our stops at the end, including a Wax sack. On the Wax sack, a flag came out because he was being held after I was ready to lose it, thinking he was called for unnecessary roughness on the QB. He did a good job not grabbing the QB's head, despite the QB dipping his head, possibly trying to get that call
  • It was a lot less stressful and better on my heart watching it the second time

Watching the replay from the backfield of the touchdown called back, the flag wasn’t even thrown until the ball got to Gladson in the end zone. You could see the yellow flag coming from the right side of the screen, well after the ball was released. Penalties are the number one reason the offense failed at times and needs to be the #1 focus for next season. The continuation of 10-12 penalties a game is a fireable offense.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom