Quick Post-game thoughts-SU/Pitt | Syracusefan.com

Quick Post-game thoughts-SU/Pitt

orangepassion

Nunzio Prophet
  • First of all, have to complement the Defense for keeping us in the game, in spite of being overmatched physically at times. They show a ton of heart and I hope they don't give up or give out with the lack of help from the offense. Kudos to Kevon Darton and Marlowe Wax.
  • Speaking of the offense, very discouraging. We were yet again physically dominated by Pitt, this in spite of us having a veteran OL and a Pittsburgh defense that gave up 41 points last week. I hate to use the 'S' (soft) word, but our offense made them look like the '85 Bears. With Shrader out, I don't think we have a leader on offense like the D has with Mikel.
  • I hate to single out a guy, but Wes Hoeh seems completely overmatched. Maybe he develops, but right now he appears to either get a penalty or beaten easily in pass blocking on seemingly every play. On one of the plays, the Pitt DL went through a Hoeh/Bergeron double team like they were children. Our OL has really regressed, though I thought Cruz handled himself fairly well for a 1st start.
  • The big winners from yesterday's game from an SU perspective were Garrett Shrader and Justin Lamson. DRW had a chance with a good performance to grab the QB job for the present or at least the future and he definitely did not. To be fair, the OL and WR's didn't give him much of a chance, but when he had chances, he missed on a lot of passes.
  • I hate the sideline passes on 3rd and manageable, especially when we're in potential 4 down territory. They are so low percentage and the rare times our receivers manage to catch them, they're out of bounds. I also hate sending all our receivers deep on 3rd and 4, like we did in the 4th quarter.
  • Would like to see us force the ball to Alford more.
  • I can't believe how bad the Pitt playcalling was, almost like they were trying to keep us in the game and work on their passing. The scoreboard could have been much uglier if they just ran the ball.
  • I don't understand Dino saying we had to abandon the running game due to the score. We were down 10-6 at the half and in the game with the potential for a game-tying drive at the end. However, we weren't running the ball well.
  • Not sure why we didn't have our best CB on their best receiver.
  • Carter growing up in front of our very eyes
  • FSU is going to be a tough game. The best thing we have going for us is the home field advantage.

Last edited:
I haven't understood Clemson, ND and Pitt keeping us in the game by giving their QB a chance to throw. The last few weeks the opposing QB's have been our 12th man.

CDRW has some great tools, but he'll have to stop staring at the one guy he wants to throw to and he needs a little help from the rest of the offense. Shrader is our best QB right now when healthy. I'm looking forward to the competition between CDRW, Lamson, and Sellers when Shrader is gone.

CDRW has some great tools, but he'll have to stop staring at the one guy he wants to throw to and he needs a little help from the rest of the offense. Shrader is our best QB right now when healthy. I'm looking forward to the competition between CDRW, Lamson, and Sellers when Shrader is gone.
The problem is he hasn't shown any game sense, until he shows that he can make plays and run the offense he should sit.

The problem is he hasn't shown any game sense, until he shows that he can make plays and run the offense he should sit.
In favor of someone else who hasn't made any plays in this offense yet? How do you get a feel for the game standing on the sideline?

If Shrader was healthy CDRW should sit. Right now who should we play instead, Morgan? If Morgan was any sort of answer, he would've won the back up job. The fact that the more experienced guy got beat out by the guy who just showed up tells us all we need to know.

If Shrader was healthy CDRW should sit. Right now who should we play instead, Morgan? If Morgan was any sort of answer, he would've won the back up job. The fact that the more experienced guy got beat out by the guy who just showed up tells us all we need to know.
The hope is that CDRW develops a better feel and better able to read defenses and look off DB's with more playing time and watching film of what he did wrong with Jason Beck. Time will tell if he is able to do so. He has all the physical skills.

The hope is that CDRW develops a better feel and better able to read defenses and look off DB's with more playing time and watching film of what he did wrong with Jason Beck. Time will tell if he is able to do so. He has all the physical skills.
Justin Verlander allowed 4 runs on 7 hits and 3 walks in only 5.1 innings in his first big league start in 2005. There are many SU football fans here that would’ve never given him another chance to start for the Tigers.

Schrader is the starter, if healthy. If not, CD-RW will again get another start vs FSU. He will learn from Saturday and hopefully improve. I know this is the internet. But let’s be better.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom