Quick post season thoughts | Syracusefan.com

Quick post season thoughts

orangepassion

Nunzio Prophet
  • I so wanted the Seniors to go out with a Bowl Game. The promising start was nice and gave me some hope. Alas, we wouldn't score again for half the game
  • Tons of credit to the Defense, particularly Mikel Jones. He is our best LB in 20 years and as important to our D as Tucker is to our O. Really hope he's back next year.
  • Very frustrated with the continued lack of discipline. We had 4 or 5 15-yard penalties and we always seem to get them at the worst time. How do we manage to get unsportsmanlike penalties on Offense deep in our territory on back-to-back plays? The Stefon Thompson facemask was a killer, but was at least during the actual play.
  • Orange is the new slow. Again, when we're down multiple scores in the 4th quarter, we're letting tons of time go off the clock.
  • The 2 big positives of this game is : Shrader showed he can throw a little (which kills off the injury excuse some were giving) and we may have ourselves a punter. Hawkins looked pretty good, which reminds me:
  • Our coverage team struggled again. They have really struggled the last few weeks
  • With the staff offering a kicker, I anticipated Szmyt moving on. Interested what his plan is and who will stick around and who won't. Losing any of Tucker, Bergeron, or Jones would really hurt.
  • More to come...

Last edited:
Where did Hawkins come from? Nice job by him.

Play of the game for me was our long snapper trying to make the tackle by diving at Addison from 15 yards.

We might as well start huddling; we’re that slow.

I know it feels like the season ended weeks ago and most have moved on, but wanted to finish with a few more thoughts on the season and going forward now that I watched the condensed game to get some closure on the season

• Was nice to see Shrader complete 2 passes over 30 yards. If he can do that, relatively consistently next year, we have a chance to be better.
  • The right side of the O-line continued to struggle with stunts. Tisdale struggled again in every which way
  • Tucker is a great runner, but he really needs to work on his blocking. He struggled with this all year.
  • Garrett Williams missed a bunch of tackles
  • Courtney Jackson again showed he was our most consistent WR. Cooper gaveth with some nice catches and taketh away with that fumble and a drop.
  • Benson got a catch-woohoo
  • Will be very interesting to see who the staff brings in from the portal. We only have 1-2 DL who got significant snaps back and White plays at least 6 of them regular snaps. We should be able a wide open path to PT to quality transfers. Oh transfer, give us your poor, who are sitting on the bench at the powerhouses and want to get on the field in an exciting, attacking defense. Will also be key if Mikel returns-Believe he had 17 tackles yesterday-Beast.
  • Duce played well again-excellent tackler for a CB and also the nice INT
Questions going forward-What kind of staff and players will Dino be able to attract and retain? Will he bring in outside competition for Shrader? Will we have any surprise departures from the team? Will there be any tweaking of the offensive scheme with a new OC or does Dino stick again with what he knows? Are we able to close the current HS class decently-Will be difficult with our coaching situation. Will be an interesting few weeks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom