Quick SU-Purdue thoughts | Syracusefan.com

Quick SU-Purdue thoughts

orangepassion

Nunzio Prophet
  • To the Purdue fan on our board who thought we wouldn't be able to stop the run, we did pretty okay there, no?
  • Both Garretts had their struggles in this game, but came through with big plays when absolutely necessary. Saw some shades of 2021 Shrader in the 1st half, where he gave up quickly on the pass and kept taking big hits
  • Breakout game by Oronde-Does he become Shrader's go-to guy?
  • Underrated blocking by Alford on Gadsden's first TD. There's no TD there without the great effort there
  • Nervous about our running game
  • Was very puzzled we refused to use the middle of the field our entire last drive when we had timeouts. Would have preferred that over low-percentage sideline passes where their physical DB's can push our guys out of bounds. Worked out ok in the end.
  • Thought the Refs were very balanced-Not used to that
  • Thought the announcers were enthusiastic, if nothing else
  • Think our QB position is in good hands with DRW and Lamson
  • Not sure what Mang gives us. He was pushed aside on the game-winning TD pass like a little kid, leading to Shrader getting crushed
  • Appropo that the name of the purdue player with the huge penalty at the end was Payne, as he caused his team and fanbase lots of it with his antics.
  • I can't remember a game for a while where we were outplayed and still won. I feel like we're usually on the other side of those.
  • Mikel=beast
  • As others have mentioned, Darton was excellent
  • Feel very optimistic going forward that we can be 5-0. Take care of business on Friday night and earn some major respect going forward.

I didnt think we were all that outplayed.. Out gained yes. We choose a strategy the first half of pretty soft coverages and it added up. But by most of the way thru the 3rd it was even.. Purdue had a ton of yards the last 15-20 min though.

FDs was almost dead even and some of that was we scored on D so didnt get the ball. Where we failed was all our best pass plays we didnt complete all but 1-2.. Lucky the 2 that meant the most in the end.. Had tucker 3-4 times and missed all of those.

Did that purdue poster get banned or did he run away after he realized the purdue o line wasn’t going to be able to just move our d line around because they’re not as big as penn state like he claimed they’d be able to?

Did that purdue poster get banned or did he run away after he realized the purdue o line wasn’t going to be able to just move our d line around because they’re not as big as penn state like he claimed they’d be able to?

YES.

(The former. But also the latter.)

• Not sure what Mang gives us. He was pushed aside on the game-winning TD pass like a little kid, leading to Shrader getting crushed
I thought it was Berg that let his man slip through.

Mikel Jones is the heart of this defense, and perhaps the entire team. What a pleasure to see the joyful intensity he brings to the game. So nice to have good linebacking.

I didnt think we were all that outplayed.. Out gained yes. We choose a strategy the first half of pretty soft coverages and it added up. But by most of the way thru the 3rd it was even.. Purdue had a ton of yards the last 15-20 min though.

FDs was almost dead even and some of that was we scored on D so didnt get the ball. Where we failed was all our best pass plays we didnt complete all but 1-2.. Lucky the 2 that meant the most in the end.. Had tucker 3-4 times and missed all of those.
I felt Purdue had a much easier time consistently moving the ball, particularly in the first half with our soft coverage on 3rd downs where we didn't give our DB's a chance to cover. The pick 6 was a huge equalizer.

I felt Purdue had a much easier time consistently moving the ball, particularly in the first half with our soft coverage on 3rd downs where we didn't give our DB's a chance to cover. The pick 6 was a huge equalizer.
the D seemed to be happy making it easy for Purdue to complete soft throws for about half the game.. In the end they completed some long throws once we pressed up.

you can go back and see several times the DT was fully engaged and got a hand out to stop the run going thru decent holes.

All these comments that Purdue gifted SU the game... have me annoyed. If you watch sports for long enough, you'll come to realize that half of winning is being good enough to simply let the other team beat itself, if it wants to. SU lost every game to Penn State from 1971 through 1986. But not all of those game were blowouts. Often SU was competitive, but lost because of a turnover or some other small number of mishaps in the game that made the difference between winning and losing. A lot of JoePa's career wins were accumulated by simply letting the other team fold at some point in the game.

The other reason I don't agree that Purdue gave the game to us, SU needed to score a TD. It was not handed to them. SU took the the win, IMHO. Shrader has 2 clutch game winning passes in his short time as SU starter. It wasn't long ago that we saw SU spike the ball with the game time running out vs BC with a winning TD needed. Too bad it was on 4th down . :(

All these comments that Purdue gifted SU the game... have me annoyed. If you watch sports for long enough, you'll come to realize that half of winning is being good enough to simply let the other team beat itself, if it wants to. SU lost every game to Penn State from 1971 through 1986. But not all of those game were blowouts. Often SU was competitive, but lost because of a turnover or some other small number of mishaps in the game that made the difference between winning and losing. A lot of JoePa's career wins were accumulated by simply letting the other team fold at some point in the game.

The other reason I don't agree that Purdue gave the game to us, SU needed to score a TD. It was not handed to them. SU took the the win, IMHO. Shrader has 2 clutch game winning passes in his short time as SU starter. It wasn't long ago that we saw SU spike the ball with the game time running out vs BC with a winning TD needed. Too bad it was on 4th down . :(
How can you say we were competitive against Penn St during that time frame? Just about every game was a complete blowout except for one or two.

How can you say we were competitive against Penn St during that time frame? Just about every game was a complete blowout except for one or two.
That's the way I remember it. :)

OK, I looked it up:
20 24
6 17
24 31
7 19
14 30

So about 5 times out of 16, SU was competitive. We can argue the wording, "often competitive" vs "never competitive". I lived and died with all of those games, and would come away with, "if SU just didn't have that fumble" or some small handful of plays that cost SU the chance to win...

That's the way I remember it. :)

OK, I looked it up:
20 24
6 17
24 31
7 19
14 30

So about 5 times out of 16, SU was competitive. We can argue the wording, "often competitive" vs "never competitive". I lived and died with all of those games, and would come away with, "if SU just didn't have that fumble" or some small handful of plays that cost SU the chance to win...
I went to a couple of those and listened on the radio to most of the others and maybe my memory is bad, but I just remember being stomped just about every year.Maybe I’m just misremembering

I went to a couple of those and listened on the radio to most of the others and maybe my memory is bad, but I just remember being stomped just about every year.Maybe I’m just misremembering
In my 4 years at SU, we went 5-6, 2-9, 2-9, 6-5. I don't deny that I may suffer from some kind of disorder or syndrome. ;)

Does anybody realize that Charlie Jones started his college football career at Buffalo before transferring to Iowa and eventually Purdue? Interesting. He probably wanted to go back home to Iowa but we were a P5 team not far away always in need of quality receivers. I wonder if he gave us a thought or was on any SYR radar screens.

Last edited:
Does anybody realize that Charlie Jones started his college football career at Buffalo before transferring to Iowa and eventually Iowa? Interesting.
This I did not know.