Quick SU-Uconn thoughts | Syracusefan.com

Quick SU-Uconn thoughts

orangepassion

Nunzio Prophet
  • It's clear as day that Shrader's a different QB. His accuracy on the deep ball was the last thing that needed to be checked off on the checklist and his deep ball looked great
  • What was also apparent to me is the Wide Receivers blocking this year is also night and day from recent years. I don't know who's the main person responsible, but I like it a lot.
  • What's amazing about our huge offensive improvement is it's with basically the same guys as last year-Not a Lincoln Riley situation where he brings a bunch of guys from the transfer portal
  • Loved getting our 2's on both sides of the ball some experience. Thought Del Rio-Wilson looked good. Hayes dropped 1 or 2 passes-might have blown his chance to get on the field. Would like to see some Hatcher.
  • As pointed out by the announcers, our DB's tackle very well. Jeremiah Wilson looked like he belonged and is a keeper.
  • Nice to get through this game with no apparent injuries that I'm aware of
  • My only coaching concern is wearing Tucker out. We are in control of this game from the start and have 2 capable backups (including a guy who was a starting D-1 RB last year and looked good in that role). I know Dino's trying to boost his numbers for the Heisman, but I'm more concerned with him lasting the season w/o getting worn out and don't think Tucker needed that many touches in this game.
  • Thought our receivers overall did an excellent job with contested catches and holding on to the ball.
  • Very pleased with cleaning up the penalties
  • Enjoyed seeing Villari make that catch. He can be a weapon for us down the road and allow for some potential trickeration.
  • Special; teams looks good. Love me some Trebor Pena returning kicks and getting YAC after catches. He's one elusive and explosive guy.
  • The Purdue game is huge for us. If we win it, I firmly believe we're 5-0 possibly heading into a top 20 showdown with NIT State. I think it helps that Purdue is a passing team. Really like our DB's.

• It's clear as day that Shrader's a different QB. His accuracy on the deep ball was the last thing that needed to be checked off on the checklist and his deep ball looked great
  • What was also apparent to me is the Wide Receivers blocking this year is also night and day from recent years. I don't know who's the main person responsible, but I like it a lot.
  • What's amazing about our huge offensive improvement is it's with basically the same guys as last year-Not a Lincoln Riley situation where he brings a bunch of guys from the transfer portal
  • Loved getting our 2's on both sides of the ball some experience. Thought Del Rio-Wilson looked good. Hayes dropped 1 or 2 passes-might have blown his chance to get on the field. Would like to see some Hatcher.
  • As pointed out by the announcers, our DB's tackle very well. Jeremiah Wilson looked like he belonged and is a keeper.
  • Nice to get through this game with no apparent injuries that I'm aware of
  • My only coaching concern is wearing Tucker out. We are in control of this game from the start and have 2 capable backups (including a guy who was a starting D-1 RB last year and looked good in that role). I know Dino's trying to boost his numbers for the Heisman, but I'm more concerned with him lasting the season w/o getting worn out and don't think Tucker needed that many touches in this game.
  • Thought our receivers overall did an excellent job with contested catches and holding on to the ball.
  • Very pleased with cleaning up the penalties
  • Enjoyed seeing Villari make that catch. He can be a weapon for us down the road and allow for some potential trickeration.
  • Special; teams looks good. Love me some Trebor Pena returning kicks and getting YAC after catches. He's one elusive and explosive guy.
  • The Purdue game is huge for us. If we win it, I firmly believe we're 5-0 possibly heading into a top 20 showdown with NIT State. I think it helps that Purdue is a passing team. Really like our DB's.
Great write up. One question: the announcers said something that was accurate??

Think with Tucker it's a balance of keeping him healthy AND happy. We use him as decoy on so many plays that it's only right/fair that he gets touches as well.

After last year's Pitt game he was probably told that would never happen again which is important because I'd imagine a LOT of schools we're trying to poach him.

tucker played to long and had to many carries. game two and he already looked gassed. they are un necessarily playing him in meaningless minutes and he was getting pretty punished. shrader as well. the fourth quarter should have been mostly backups on both sides of the ball

Shrader is a legit P5 QB1, hands down. The argument of “but he can’t throw down field” should never again be uttered!
For me, it wasn’t so much that I didn’t think he could hit an occasional deep ball like VaTech last year - it was consistency on the intermediate and short throws. He’s raised both the ceiling and the floor with his play this year. And both will be needed

About the offensive improvement - we brought in a veteran, successful OC and QB assistant. We have 5 veteran OL starters, plus a couple of reserves who have starting experience. Last year, we had Taj Harris as a focal point, and not a lot of WR talent other than Taj (who quit). Devito got all the first team reps in the Spring and August last season, with the offense designed around Devito’s skills, until he quit.

We haven’t had the disruption of Devito & Taj, and Shrader has had a full Spring and August as our #1. He has veteran WRs in Cooper and Jackson, and tall, fast younger receivers who are now ready in Gadsden, Alford, Jones.

In every unit on offense (except TE/h-back with Elmore out, and Elmore only played 4 games in 2021), we have better experience and talent than last season. Shrader’s improved passing put the icing on the cake.

For me, it wasn’t so much that I didn’t think he could hit an occasional deep ball like VaTech last year - it was consistency on the intermediate and short throws. He’s raised both the ceiling and the floor with his play this year. And both will be needed
I don’t think that the people saying that all this time were being unreasonable, but now it’s been settled. I was wrong about Dino all those times last year when I threw a fit and called for his job, I’m willing to admit I was wrong lol.

tucker played to long and had to many carries. game two and he already looked gassed. they are un necessarily playing him in meaningless minutes and he was getting pretty punished. shrader as well. the fourth quarter should have been mostly backups on both sides of the ball
Agreed. When they were up by like 20-30, I wanted to see backups.

Great write up. One question: the announcers said something that was accurate??
The PBP announcer once referred to the gridiron as the field. No, seriously! It's in the game thread, she got it right. Once, anyway...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom