Quick thoughts from SU-TCU | Syracusefan.com

Quick thoughts from SU-TCU

orangepassion

Nunzio Prophet
  • Everyone's talking about Oshae's scoring, but without his rebounding, we get blown out. It seems like he got every big rebound for our team and unlike Chukwu, he has strong hands and doesn't let it get poked out
  • Love Dolezaj-Wouldn't mind him being a little more aggressive
  • What happened to putting Dolezaj at the high post? That is the perfect spot for him, where he can score and pass well
  • Can Tyus get JB in a room and just say "Coach, I can beat basically anyone one-on-one, but not so good at one on two. Can we stop the Chukwu pick N' rolls from the perimeter?" If we want it to actually get someone open that is actually a threat from there, why not use Oshae to set it?
  • Disappointed we keep ignoring Sidibe inside when he's matched up against smaller guys
  • Love Chukwu's effort, but can someone tell him he doesn't have to go for every block (especially when our bench is thin). He can often just stand there with his hands up and affect the shot, not get a foul, and keep himself in position for the rebound.
  • I wish JB would stop telling everyone we can't score. I know we're not an offensive juggernaut, but we can score points when we move the ball. We just go through streaks where we just dribble the ball for 20 seconds and then just have to throw up a contested 3 to beat the shot clock. It's almost like we're scared of scoring too much.
  • Great effort by the guys to come back when it looked like ASU could pull away at 49-42-playing witho house money

Not taking anything away from Brissette who had a very good game, but the smaller ASU team actually were extremely competitive in the rebounding department. We should have dominated both the offensive and defensive boards.

The team needs to take advantage of their size if they have it against TCU.

• Everyone's talking about Oshae's scoring, but without his rebounding, we get blown out. It seems like he got every big rebound for our team and unlike Chukwu, he has strong hands and doesn't let it get poked out
  • Love Dolezaj-Wouldn't mind him being a little more aggressive
  • What happened to putting Dolezaj at the high post? That is the perfect spot for him, where he can score and pass well
  • Can Tyus get JB in a room and just say "Coach, I can beat basically anyone one-on-one, but not so good at one on two. Can we stop the Chukwu pick N' rolls from the perimeter?" If we want it to actually get someone open that is actually a threat from there, why not use Oshae to set it?
  • Disappointed we keep ignoring Sidibe inside when he's matched up against smaller guys
  • Love Chukwu's effort, but can someone tell him he doesn't have to go for every block (especially when our bench is thin). He can often just stand there with his hands up and affect the shot, not get a foul, and keep himself in position for the rebound.
  • I wish JB would stop telling everyone we can't score. I know we're not an offensive juggernaut, but we can score points when we move the ball. We just go through streaks where we just dribble the ball for 20 seconds and then just have to throw up a contested 3 to beat the shot clock. It's almost like we're scared of scoring too much.
  • Great effort by the guys to come back when it looked like ASU could pull away at 49-42-playing witho house money
Agree with points 1 and 2. Point 3, Dolezaj does not have the weight to be effective in the 5 position for other then short periods. Agree with points4 and 5. Would like to see some other than Chukwu set a pick pick out front but understand that he is clearing space by having his man come out with him. Like to see Sidibe play a little POF but won't because his role as backup for the center position. Agree with your o-ther points.

I think you misunderstood. I don't want Dolezaj playing Center. I want him to play at the high post-i.e. around the free throw line on offense and keep Chukwu in the low post near the basket.
Agree with points 1 and 2. Point 3, Dolezaj does not have the weight to be effective in the 5 position for other then short periods. Agree with points4 and 5. Would like to see some other than Chukwu set a pick pick out front but understand that he is clearing space by having his man come out with him. Like to see Sidibe play a little POF but won't because his role as backup for the center position. Agree with your o-ther points.

Would like to see some other than Chukwu set a pick pick out front but understand that he is clearing space by having his man come out with him.
... and his man double teams the ball handler who then can’t get into the lane.

Sidibe at PF would give us a competitive offensive team. Would like to see it tried in a second half if Chewy is not foul burdened.

Sidibe at PF would give us a competitive offensive team. Would like to see it tried in a second half if Chewy is not foul burdened.
I really have to ask this...what has anybody seen in Sidibe that says offense. I hope to God he develops but right now he is absolutely clueless with the ball in his hands. I would bet he has traveled more than half the time he has been passed the ball for the entire year.And you want to see him at PF? Yikes!

I really have to ask this...what has anybody seen in Sidibe that says offense. I hope to God he develops but right now he is absolutely clueless with the ball in his hands. I would bet he has traveled more than half the time he has been passed the ball for the entire year.And you want to see him at PF? Yikes!

When he wasn't crippled and only working w/ one leg, he showed some nifty moves on O around the basket, and even a bit of a face-up game too. He's far more skilled on O than Chewie, and it's not even close.

He also was running neck & neck w/ PC on boards and blocks very early in the season, but then he got hurt.

Lastly - see: The Pitt game. 18 & 16 doesn't just grow on trees from the 5 spot.
Those are Senior Rak or RackJack all-time best type #'s, and Dib is a Frosh, who has been hobbled most of the season.

If you can't see the potential there, then I'm pretty sure your glass is always half-empty. :rolleyes:

Love Chukwu's effort, but can someone tell him he doesn't have to go for every block (especially when our bench is thin). He can often just stand there with his hands up and affect the shot, not get a foul, and keep himself in position for the rebound.

This made me wonder... how many times has Chukwu fouled out/been in serious foul trouble this year?

Go put Chuck in a corner, and let his man follow him there. Clear out the lane. High pick and roll with Frank and Brisket, and let Battle just break down his guy.

I wish JB would stop telling everyone we can't score. I know we're not an offensive juggernaut, but we can score points when we move the ball. We just go through streaks where we just dribble the ball for 20 seconds and then just have to throw up a contested 3 to beat the shot clock. It's almost like we're scared of scoring too much.

I think he knows we can score points. Not that we're a a great offense by any stretch, but I'm pretty sure he's saying this stuff on purpose. And I think our kids know he's doing it, and why.

Not taking anything away from Brissette who had a very good game, but the smaller ASU team actually were extremely competitive in the rebounding department. We should have dominated both the offensive and defensive boards.

The team needs to take advantage of their size if they have it against TCU.

My favorite was when the ASU player got the rebound while lying in the floor on his back. Three SU players in vicinity.

dixon will instruct his guys to play thug ball daring the officials to call the hand checks, grabbing, bumping, pulling and flopping and the officials aren't going to which will doom us.

If the officials give our guards some breathing room we'll be in the game.

dixon will instruct his guys to play thug ball daring the officials to call the hand checks, grabbing, bumping, pulling and flopping and the officials aren't going to which will doom us.

TCU doesn’t actually play defense this way at all. This TCU team’s style of play is very different than that of Dixon’s Pitt teams. Offense is dynamic, great shooters, really bad defense. It’s been frustrating in close games because we just couldn’t get a stop when we needed to. Having said that, our team has played better defense down the stretch. But this team isn’t a physical mug you style of defense.

My favorite was when the ASU player got the rebound while lying in the floor on his back. Three SU players in vicinity.
SU guys historically (with a few exceptions) don't dive on the floor for loose balls. They might reach for them, but that's all

... and his man double teams the ball handler who then can’t get into the lane.

Which is a real head-scratcher to me. If I'm coaching against SU, I'd much rather see PC get the ball off the pick & roll outside the arc. If he can even catch it (not a given), what's he going to do with it? I'd much rather he have the ball out there than Battle or Howard. But I think teams hedge on that play because they've been doing it all year, just because they've been coached to do it.

TCU doesn’t actually play defense this way at all. This TCU team’s style of play is very different than that of Dixon’s Pitt teams. Offense is dynamic, great shooters, really bad defense. It’s been frustrating in close games because we just couldn’t get a stop when we needed to. Having said that, our team has played better defense down the stretch. But this team isn’t a physical mug you style of defense.

Generals always fight the next war based on the last one. That's the way Pitt played in the BE, and also why they've never done anything in the tournament. Consider also officiating is generally tighter in the early rounds, with lesser experienced guys trying too hard to advance. SU always has good 3-point defense % for a reason. So I figure it won't be a thing of beauty, but it will be close and played hard.

Go put Chuck in a corner, and let his man follow him there. Clear out the lane. High pick and roll with Frank and Brisket, and let Battle just break down his guy.

My thoughts exactly. I'd love to see him go screen someone on the opposite wing to free up a shooter. And then stay the heck out of the way.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom