Quite the loyal student section... | Syracusefan.com

Quite the loyal student section...

#FRANchise

2nd String
sata8u8y.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1

Really horrendous. Gotta *at least* stay through the 3rd quarter.

Student section is a joke. The fact half of it was empty at kickoff shows they could care less about football. MOVE a large portion of the student section to the 3rd level above a smaller lower level student section or something and sell those "prime" seats to people who care about the games.

Student section is a joke. The fact half of it was empty at kickoff shows they could care less about football. MOVE a large portion of the student section to the 3rd level above a smaller lower level student section or something and sell those "prime" seats to people who care about the games.

Those are actually pretty bad seats for viewing the game.

Those are actually pretty bad seats for viewing the game.
The lower bowl should always be full. Period. End of story. If the students don't care about the game, then the heck with them and move a big chunk of it to the 3rd level where if its empty it won't look bad on TV. Put those endzone seats for sale and they will sell out quick. Lower bowl always sell first

Think about it. These kids have NEVER seen SU football any good. They were 4-7 years old when Donovan was at the hill. We basically have a generation of Syracuse students (<25 yearls old) who have never seen a good syracuse football team. In all honesty, why should they show up?

Damn shame. They come out in strong force for basketball. Terrible it's gotta be like that.

Think about it. These kids have NEVER seen SU football any good. They were 4-7 years old when Donovan was at the hill. We basically have a generation of Syracuse students (<25 yearls old) who have never seen a good syracuse football team. In all honesty, why should they show up?
Fine, they don't show up. I get that. But its time for a change. Move a large part the student section up top and sell the "LOWER BOWL" tickets in the Dome to people who actually care.

The student section blows. No surprise there. It has been mediocre for years. Hell, even when I was there in a game we lost something like 26-0 to Miami, I nearly fought one of my friends when he was talking about leaving early and ragging on SU. The problem is that the diehard fans are few and far between, and very few of them actually wind up at SU.

Fine, they don't show up. I get that. But its time for a change. Move a large part the student section up top and sell the "LOWER BOWL" tickets in the Dome to people who actually care.
Agree 100%

What does the Duke student section look like at football games? I bet it's not like Cameron.

Really? I was there and had zero room to move in the student section at kickoff. The 2nd half was a different story obviously, but I understand why some of them left. A lot of people not in the student sections were leaving halfway through the 2nd. It's one thing to get blown out by a top 5 team, but the team and staff weren't even trying. It was just 3 read options and then punt and then give up 90 yards for a touchdown, rinse and repeat. Easily the most depressing football game I've personally been to.

Edit: The "really?" is referring to the first half of it being empty, not the fact that the student section is pretty much a joke.

Easily the most depressing football game I've personally been to.
Then you haven't been to a lot of SU games in the past decade! There have been far worse and far more depressing than this. (ie the entire Robinson era)

What does the Duke student section look like at football games? I bet it's not like Cameron.
Did you really just compare Syracuse football to Duke football while claiming to be a Syracuse fan, on a Syracuse board?

Then you haven't been to a lot of SU games in the past decade! There have been far worse and far more depressing than this. (ie the entire Robinson era)

I've only been a student from 2010-2014, and had only been to one Cuse football game before then, so yeah, I luckily missed Robinson.

Frankly I don't blame anybody for leaving early today. This game was hyped up as giving us a chance to compete with the best of the best, we packed the place with however many fans there were, and the team forgot to play until the third quarter started, and the game was already over.

I wouldn't have left (and didn't as an SU student) but I don't blame those that do when we are getting our doors blown off and don't even belong on the same field as the team kicking our ______s off the field.

If you want loyal fans, and loyal students, you gotta give them something to be excited about and get a competitive product on the field. Since McNabb left, we haven't done that very much. When we consistently get good teams for a 2-3 year stretch and the future looks good, our attendance will return, and our students will start to get excited about it. But it won't happen beforehand.

Yes exciting crowds help get recruits here, which would help us win, but games like today show that we can get fans out when they are excited enough. Keep fighting the fight, and we will be just fine.

Frankly I don't blame anybody for leaving early today. This game was hyped up as giving us a chance to compete with the best of the best, we packed the place with however many fans there were, and the team forgot to play until the third quarter started, and the game was already over.

I wouldn't have left (and didn't as an SU student) but I don't blame those that do when we are getting our doors blown off and don't even belong on the same field as the team kicking our ______s off the field.

If you want loyal fans, and loyal students, you gotta give them something to be excited about and get a competitive product on the field. Since McNabb left, we haven't done that very much. When we consistently get good teams for a 2-3 year stretch and the future looks good, our attendance will return, and our students will start to get excited about it. But it won't happen beforehand.

Yes exciting crowds help get recruits here, which would help us win, but games like today show that we can get fans out when they are excited enough. Keep fighting the fight, and we will be just fine.
It's a two way street. We had recruits in the building today. Good recruits. The only way we get better and put something more exciting on the field is by landing those recruits.

If the recruits see people heading for the exits at halftime, why would they want to come play here for "fans" who don't give a s***? Be a good freaking fanbase and stick it out, and support the goddamn team through good and ill.

Did you really just compare Syracuse football to Duke football while claiming to be a Syracuse fan, on a Syracuse board?

No no no! I'm comparing a student body that knows it's a basketball school to our student body, who probably also considers SU a basketball school given the performance of the football program during their lifetime. The last time we finished a season ranked in the AP top 25 (2001), kids in this freshman class were, what? 6?

It's a two way street. We had recruits in the building today. Good recruits. The only way we get better and put something more exciting on the field is by landing those recruits.

If the recruits see people heading for the exits at halftime, why would they want to come play here for "fans" who don't give a s***? Be a good freaking fanbase and stick it out, and support the goddamn team through good and ill.

Yes it does, but if you are a staff, you sell them on getting the fans in the building fora big game. You show then tapes of big games and big crowds in the past when the team is in the game, and those fans keep their butts in the seats.

Fan loyalty is one of those things that is earned by consistent success, the level of team we have had over the past decade destroyed all the loyalty and equity of the young fanbase that's growing in the Syracuse area.

As we get better as a team and start to build a team that can have back to back winning seasons and back to back bowl wins (which despite today's massacre we still have an outside shot at this year) the fan support will come. Overcoming this obstacle is one reason why you hire top level recruiting guys like McDonald in hopes the can overcome the deficient areas of the program to help you build a winner.

Wether it happens, remains to be seen, but we all hope it does come to pass

Last edited:

It looks like any other high school football stadium in the south. Actually, that's not really giving high schools enough credit.

There are plenty of seats between the 30s for them.

I can't speak for anyone else, but it honestly was making my blood boil that we're facing a top 3 team in the country and our staff and players were acting like they just flat out didn't care. We accepted defeat from the second touchdown.

That's nonsense. You tell a kid, hopefully a WR, you can pay in the ACC against Clemson right away and win.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom