quote - "He's a serious basketball player" | Syracusefan.com

quote - "He's a serious basketball player"

Billy is my second favorite Syracuse point guard I have seen in my life (born 88). Close second behind Ennis. Really sad what happened with Billy, and we never really got to see him take off.

Without him, we don’t win the National Championship. Melo was the superstar. But everyone played such an important role on that team and I firmly believe it took every one of those regulars to win in all. Every game it was someone different stepping up and doing there part.

I got the chance to briefly talk to him when they played at Missouri. One of the nicest guys ever. Respected him and rooted for him ever since. Easily one of my all time favorite players. Smooth and Skilled, he made everything look easy.

Billy Josh and Gerry destroyed MSU in that game.

MSU also stunk that year.

I came back to SU early that break to go to this game. Sat next to some MSU fans and distinctly remember laughing when they pointed out shannon brown as their Carmelo.

everybody loves gerry . i get that. but billy e is seriously underrated here.
Is he underrated or is it that we just didn't get enough of him? A legacy and fans' memories of you are affected by how much you play. Most people lament that we didn't get to enjoy him enough.

I remember the game against Notre Dame (2003) where Billy schooled the overhyped Chris Thomas and made him look incompetent as Billy smoothly scored 26 points.

Syracuse 92-88 Notre Dame (Mar 4, 2003) Game Recap - ESPN
Is he underrated or is it that we just didn't get enough of him? A legacy and fans' memories of you are affected by how much you play. Most people lament that we didn't get to enjoy him enough.
Great point. Billy had his demons but he was a pleasure to watch and, yes, I wish we’d seen more. Only happy memories.

Billy E is top 7 cuse player of all time for me.
I have a lot of questions here.

Top 7 seems strangely precise. Like not Top 5 or Top 10, but Top 7?
Do you mean Top 7 since you became a fan or Top 7 in program history?
Is there any possible chance you're confusing Billy Owens with Billy Edelin here. :)

If by "top" you simply meant "favorite" please ignore all this.

Is there any possible chance you're confusing Billy Owens with Billy Edelin here. :)

i was stuck between top 5 and top 10 so split the difference. just really liked billy's game. watching a good pg run an offense is the most enjoyable part of watching a game for me.

Or Billy Celuck, let’s be honest here.

Billy is my second favorite Syracuse point guard I have seen in my life (born 88). Close second behind Ennis. Really sad what happened with Billy, and we never really got to see him take off.

Without him, we don’t win the National Championship. Melo was the superstar. But everyone played such an important role on that team and I firmly believe it took every one of those regulars to win in all. Every game it was someone different stepping up and doing there part.
Man, I envy your youth, but its an absolute shame that you never got to see Pearl or Sherm run the point for SU

i was stuck between top 5 and top 10 so split the difference. just really liked billy's game. watching a good pg run an offense is the most enjoyable part of watching a game for me.

Don’t listen to the haters and the losers (of which there are many). If he’s in your personal top seven (or eight, or 6.33 repeating) then that’s good enough and don’t let anyone tell you otherwise.

We don't get past Oklahoma St in the 2nd round without Billy. We were down 18 with Melo on the bench with 3 fouls. Billy completely took over that game and we won going away.
The final against Kansas, Gerry injured after first half. Billy controlled the entire 2nd half, if Josh doesn't miss a couple of uncontested layups, it doesn't come down to Hak's block on the last play.

Billy was always a thoughtful man anytime we chatted. We’re about the same age. In different circumstances and upbringings any of us could have suffered like Billy - that’s not lost on me. He’s a good person. And a wonderful player.

The surprise appearance last year at the game and Melo’s embrace made me tear up. A phenomenal moment worthy of the talented player he was and all that he contributed. Hope he understands and appreciates how much the SU community values him.