Raf... | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Raf...

Three person broadcast booths are usually too crowded.
But those 3 work.

Sean knows how to conduct the band.
Raf does his schtick...kind of like a friend with whom you went to the game.
Bilas does more hard analysis and also gets a bit involved in the fun.

Raf's best line last night was about Buddy:
He can play, he's got looks and a personality.
Wonder where he got that from.
Then he said how Coach Boeheim has a personality. He just hides it well.

I loved his story about everybody showing up to watch SU play when JB (and some teammate of his named Bing) was on the freshman team and then leaving when the Varsity played.
Raftery was a year older and on Lasalle’s varsity when JB and Bing were on SU’s freshman team so no one was watching Raftery’s Lasalle team play SU’s varsity. Raf and JB go back a long time.

And Nantz did a great job on the long buddy heave. "it's been his night..."
Nantz has some trouble pronouncing ‘Dolezaj’ (he had the same problem during our 2018 tourney run) and he messed up big time last night when he talked about Gerry’s 7 3-pt baskets in the 2003 championship game. C’mon, Jim - every Syracuse fan knows it was 6 made 3-pters for Gerry in that game - all of them in the first half. I hate it when an announcer screws something like that up...

I love Raf hes a national treasure. My only complaint his ever since he got the number one spot is he's too technical with.his analysis. He has to remember it's March he has viewers watching that know very little about bball.

Not sure if this was brought up anywhere but two hours of his full Boeheim bit was an absolute joy to listen to. Hope he lives a thousand years.
As many have said, love him and appreciate his style. He reminds me of Al McGuire in his love of the game, love of every player and coach. He doesn’t have to be hyper critical like many analysts, to make his points. He just enjoys it all. And it is obvious that there is no other place he would rather be than at the current game he is calling.

I don't know if it's just me (or my tv), but I was having a hard time hearing the announcers over the crowd noise. They needed a better sound mixer.

Does anyone know where 'onions' came from? I've listened to Raf for forever but he's been around for so long, his stuff precedes my fanhood.

Does anyone know where 'onions' came from? I've listened to Raf for forever but he's been around for so long, his stuff precedes my fanhood.

Heuvos. Cohones.

Like so:

giphy.gif

Gotta be one of the oldest and best videos on YouTube.

Raf and Nantz were both great for our game last night. They did annoy me a bit during the Florida VPI game aa It seemed they were openly rooting for Florida.

My all time favorite Raf was following the tip off from a game years ago. The teams were batting the ball, diving after it and saving it from going out of bounds. And Raf says, “beach volleyball at its best!”

Nantz has some trouble pronouncing ‘Dolezaj’ (he had the same problem during our 2018 tourney run) and he messed up big time last night when he talked about Gerry’s 7 3-pt baskets in the 2003 championship game. C’mon, Jim - every Syracuse fan knows it was 6 made 3-pters for Gerry in that game - all of them in the first half. I hate it when an announcer screws something like that up...
Learning every kids name and every stat from championship games played 20 years ago?Im shocked announcers get as close as they do with all they have to know.

1981 BE tourney at the Dome. Raf's Seton Hall team had been eliminated earlier, Cuse about to play I forget who, me and friends sitting 3rd level, way up there. Raf by himself, sits down 2 spaces over...tripled-fisted dome foam. Legend!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom