Raftery... | Syracusefan.com

Raftery...

bpo57

Living Legend
Great game today and gutty win by the Orange in a tough spot. Too bad the ESPN production didn't keep pace. They missed several clips of live action by showing replays but maybe most annoying is Bill Raftery. I used to enjoy listening to him but I am past that now. Every other comment is an attempt at being funny. I know these games aren't life and death but he'd be funnier if he didn't try so hard and the games would be a much better listen.

Great game today and gutty win by the Orange in a tough spot. Too bad the ESPN production didn't keep pace. They missed several clips of live action by showing replays but maybe most annoying is Bill Raftery. I used to enjoy listening to him but I am past that now. Every other comment is an attempt at being funny. I know these games aren't life and death but he'd be funnier if he didn't try so hard and the games would be a much better listen.

All color announcers should be as annoying as Rafftery

I agree that he can do the humor thing a bit much during some games (and his "whiney" JB voice was old about 10 years ago), but the interplay between him and Bilas is still pretty great. and yeah, the Bilas-Raftery-McDonough team is easily the best college hoops broadcast on TV

I figured mine was a minority opinion and also know people that know Raf and say he is a great guy that can close a bar with the best of them. It seems to me though that if you went back and listened to Raf 20 years ago you'd hear plenty of analysis along with the humor. Now it's a bit heavy on the humor and yet there is one extra analyst in the booth who can drop more knowledge than he can.

I understand 100% of what you are saying but the only time I was upset was when we were down and trying to come back and he was trying to be funny. I bet that was the time for you as well. It might have been us.

If Bill Raftery is wrong I hope to never be right.

I understand 100% of what you are saying but the only time I was upset was when we were down and trying to come back and he was trying to be funny. I bet that was the time for you as well. It might have been us.

It has been something I've noticed for a few years now but yeah it gets my attention more when SU is scuffling. No doubt.

I figured mine was a minority opinion and also know people that know Raf and say he is a great guy that can close a bar with the best of them. It seems to me though that if you went back and listened to Raf 20 years ago you'd hear plenty of analysis along with the humor. Now it's a bit heavy on the humor and yet there is one extra analyst in the booth who can drop more knowledge than he can.
I'm not gaining much knowledge from many color commentators. That trio entertains me while I'm being entertained. Its a great thing.

It has been something I've noticed for a few years now but yeah it gets my attention more when SU is scuffling. No doubt.
I must admit, I laughed out loud when Jay said that Sean took himself out of the running for the Arthur Ashe award today.

I'm not gaining much knowledge from many color commentators. That trio entertains me while I'm being entertained. Its a great thing.

Would agree that they are entertaining and even more so with McDonough but there can be a point that when you constantly try to be funny it can fall flat, at least to me anyway.

Would agree that they are entertaining and even more so with McDonough but there can be a point that when you constantly try to be funny it can fall flat, at least to me anyway.
yea no doubt sometimes you just scratch your head, but thats still head and shoulders above jimmy dykes talking the language of douchbaggery. Bilas, Raf and Mcdounough reminds me of my friends and I playing poker ripping on each other trying to humiliate one another. Its like a great American past time for men.

raf's hotel minibar pics before and after
hotel_mini_bar_fridge_mb_4_.jpg

tm40g.jpg

At those points in the game, God could be doing color and I wouldn't notice

Bullchit... the dude would never touch the juice.
Ah, the juice is for the co-eds who visit him in his hotel room. There's nothing scandalous going on, you understand, he pops in some DVDs of early B.E.T.s & chit chats about the good old days.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

Ah, the juice is for the co-eds who visit him in his hotel room. There's nothing scandalous going on, you understand, he pops in some DVDs of early B.E.T.s & chit chats about the good old days.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2
even if thats all... he's cleaning up better than I did.

They had to find something to entertain themselves with. That first half was disgraceful by both teams.

Hubie Brown, baby.

Sent from my Vortex using Tapatalk 2