Rahme's post on the coach's show thread | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Rahme's post on the coach's show thread

What is so hard to understand, he expected a more positive environment going back to SU, he had a unique expectation about this particular job.

He knows the reality of coaching, and my guess he's figuring if I have to put up with the same crap here as anywhere else, if there is nothing all that special about this job, I might as well get paid for it at the highest level of the sport.

I really want to know what this means?

Everyone raved about Marrone's preparedness for his interview in December of 2008. It wouldn't take a team of researchers working day and night to discover that the community had given up on the football program, that our facilities were subpar, that recruiting was a grind, that it's tough to retain good assistants, and that we were seemingly stuck in a poor revenue generating conference.

I totally get why he'd jump to the NFL. But to me that's something apart from those other gripes about life as the SU HC.

People need to understand, it's not one thing, it's a bunch of things that has made the job harder than it should be, not enjoyable, and not what was imagined.

It's not anyone thing, it's not a single letter, it's not just the lack of facilities, it's not just empty seats, it's not just message board insanity, it's not just recruiting, it's these and more.

This stuff is hardly confined to Syracuse. It may work differently at other places, but if you have better facilities and more people showing up in the stands, then you better assign more staff to reading hate mail after losses.

Maybe his feelings are hurt because, of all places, he thought Syracuse would be different. But I still think Syracuse is fairly small potatoes when it comes to these types of things. Might be that he just really doesn't like being a head football coach.

If Marrone really sat down and took the time to research how people feel about him in Syracuse, I think he'd find a LOT more people that want him to stay than those that want him to go. So if any of this stuff is true, then he needs to thicken his skin and stick it out. He has the opportunity to be a beloved legend in this town. He's put himself in the right path. There are crazy people with unrealistic demands everywhere (believe it or not, I know a few). No matter how much you love the school, you have to tune those people out.

This stuff is hardly confined to Syracuse. It may work differently at other places, but if you have better facilities and more people showing up in the stands, then you better assign more staff to reading hate mail after losses.

Maybe his feelings are hurt because, of all places, he thought Syracuse would be different. But I still think Syracuse is fairly small potatoes when it comes to these types of things. Might be that he just really doesn't like being a head football coach.

If Marrone really sat down and took the time to research how people feel about him in Syracuse, I think he'd find a LOT more people that want him to stay than those that want him to go. So if any of this stuff is true, then he needs to thicken his skin and stick it out. He as the opportunity to be a beloved legend in this town. He's put himself in the right path. There are crazy people with unrealistic demands everywhere (believe it or not, I know a few). No matter how much you love the school, you have to tune those people out.

I vividly recall that in 2003 or 2004 there was a poll taken of Syracuse locals and a pretty large majority still wanted Coach P to remain as head coach.

Syracuse is about as tame as it can possibly get in terms of pressure on the head coach of a major program. I mean Rahme is an Alabama guy, surely he knows the kind of pure, unabashed, vitriolic hatred that has been spewed at guys like Gene Chizik, Ray Perkins, Mike Shula, Terry Bowden, etc. I'm 99.9% positive that Marrone has never been exposed to a smidgeon of what those guys have gone through.

*edit* Or maybe it's Donnie Webb that's the Bama guy? Well, anyway, it can be hell down there. ;)

You're confusing me with Donnie. I've never been to Alabama. I'm worse. I'm a Philly guy. I'm also a husband, father and grandfather and have plenty more than my own skin to consider.

You're confusing me with Donnie. I've never been to Alabama. I'm worse. I'm a Philly guy.

Ha, I just caught that. Sorry.

So Philly, definitely worse. ;)

You're confusing me with Donnie. I've never been to Alabama. I'm worse. I'm a Philly guy. I'm also a husband, father and grandfather and have plenty more than my own skin to consider.

Philly huh? So Dave you have been writing those hate-filled letters, huh? ;) I know you are not even remotely responsible but Syracuse.com should just shut down the comments section. It's like cretins who just climbed out of the primordial ooze found out how to use the internet.

It's the inordinate amount of time and effort then that Marrone has to spend on the road recruiting--away from family, right Dave?

Given the context in which "thick skin" has been used in this thread, comments like this make me think that Marrone's family has been affected in some way by negative nancies.

You edited and added that last line, you sly devil. :cool:

If Marrone's family has been harassed by people then clearly I take back what I said. That's utterly inexcusable.

Of course it'll be much worse in a pro town.

You edited and added that last line, you sly devil. :cool:

If Marrone's family has been harassed by people then clearly I take back what I said. That's utterly inexcusable.

Of course it'll be much worse in a pro town.

I wouldn't let my family live in Philly if I took that job.

Given the context in which "thick skin" has been used in this thread, comments like this make me think that Marrone's family has been affected in some way by negative nancies.

Now that you said that I remember DM saying at one of his Monday luncheons that he can take the abuse from fans that's what he gets paid for, but when they go after his family that's where he draws the line.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If his biggest concern is the way his family has been treated i have 2 things to say about that.

1. It is reprehensible how far some fans take their fandome. I am sorry but for me it is entertainment and a spouse, parent, child should never have to hear anything from a fan.

2. That will not go away. rather it will be magnified at the NFL level.

Wow! Fantastic post! Thank you.

I don't believe that will change if he is a head coach anywhere. While I totally disagree with what some fans do and say, nothing is out of bounds these days unfortunately. I love HCDM but he has to be realistic, if you are in the public eye in any capacity, your family may be affected in some way, possibly negatively. Very unfortunate...but true nonetheless.

I really want to know what this means?

Everyone raved about Marrone's preparedness for his interview in December of 2008. It wouldn't take a team of researchers working day and night to discover that the community had given up on the football program, that our facilities were subpar, that recruiting was a grind, that it's tough to retain good assistants, and that we were seemingly stuck in a poor revenue generating conference.

I totally get why he'd jump to the NFL. But to me that's something apart from those other gripes about life as the SU HC.

He was promised certain things that have not materialized.

Like?...

My understanding of this is rather limited, but someone close to the team said that he took the job with the understanding that the Dome locker room upgrades, new indoor practice facility construction, and player facility renovations would be undertaken within a certain amount of time. The first two have not been, and it doesn't appear that there is much momentum.

Agree that an NFL job is attractive regardless of any of this. No idea about the attendance thing or the perceived community negativity, either.

The dome locker rooms should have been done yesterday they are so atrocious

People need to understand, it's not one thing, it's a bunch of things that has made the job harder than it should be, not enjoyable, and not what was imagined.

It's not anyone thing, it's not a single letter, it's not just the lack of facilities, it's not just empty seats, it's not just message board insanity, it's not just recruiting, it's these and more.
Doug should leave if he isnt happy. Life is too short.

Absolutely it is more than the 1 thing and there is a cumulative effect. But some things are mote important than others. Support in general is the biggest problem but specifically the lack of donors is the big contributer to the lack of support because of what they van provide.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Now that you said that I remember DM saying at one of his Monday luncheons that he can take the abuse from fans that's what he gets paid for, but when they go after his family that's where he draws the line.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You know, this is a game. Its where some of us spend our entertainment dollars. We all may complain about something from time to time, but who in their right mind goes after a coaches family? That is such total BS.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

That's one of the problems of the internet, you have anonymous people who can say anything they want. It gives people a feeling of power, which is an unfortunate thing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newmom4503

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom