Rak is very frustrating to watch | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Rak is very frustrating to watch

He's a freakin' Virgin Islands kid. He wanted to grow up and play baseball and chill on the beach. After he got hurt or whatever and baseball wasn't panning out, he realized it's pretty easy to get a D-1 basketball scholarship when you're 6-10 and can jump a little bit. The kid is enjoying the free ride and probably hopes he can earn some bucks for a couple years in the D-league.

That blown dunk would have gotten us to within 4... Would have been able to play differently those last 3 mins

Very true--would have cut it to 4 with 2:24 left--enough time to legitimately still win. Instead, the dunk was missed, then there was an immediate foul, and boom--we're down 8.

I'm not going to psychoanalyze Rak since I don't know him. However, I can tell you what I see in his fundamentals on the floor. He lacks consistency in executing basic fundamentals. He looks like a guy who has gotten by on natural athleticism to this point. Now, he faces guys with great athleticism every night, but he lacks the technical and tactical skills to overcome this.

His footwork on the blocks and in the pick and roll are not consistent. This leads to his body being out of position too often to make shots regularly. He doesn't seal the defender well by feeling where the defender wants to play him and then sliding the defender that way to gain an advantage.

Defensively, he can block shots, but he doesn't play position defense effectively at the moment. He is often late to rotate to set traps when players get the ball in the short corner, and he doesn't step up to cut off and pressure dribble penetration, especially when it comes from the top of the key (high ball screen between the two guards is really the worst, I think, though I would need to watch more game film to say for certain). UConn (like L'ville) has quick guards that exposed our lack of lateral quickness at the top of the zone. The center has to quickly step up and pressure the ball to make it difficult for the ball-handler to shoot, make the pass to the cutting player on the baseline, or to kick to an open shooter. Rak did not do this tonight, nor has he generally done it well this year.

That said, please understand that I'm not bashing the kid. In fact, quite the opposite--I think we sometimes forget that these are kids who need to learn how to play, just like college students need to learn how to write effectively. I really think that Rak could improve these fundamentals with hard work (repetitions) to become a good player. I hope he does.

I'll get ripped again, but once again: we need a real big man coach to teach these bigs.

Not going to flame on the kid. Just dont know what to expect out of him. This game was tailor made for him to have a good game and he really did nothing. Starting to think that this is what he will be for his career here.

You are right as usual being concerned about him.

UConn has nothing inside this was a game for him to shine and it didn't happen. I think the *big* talented and flawed kid we saw as a freshman isn't going anywhere and will be the same player for 4 years.

He's not awful by anymeans but I really want more out of him. The team is very streaky and it would be huge if he had a post game.

I'll get ripped again, but once again: we need a real big man coach to teach these bigs.

I don't think coaching is the issue as Hopkins turned Fab into the 22nd pick after a horrendous freshman year. If Fab had any brains - on and off the court - and stayed he would be a top 10 pick this year. Instead he has played 5 more minutes in the NBA then I have.

I read through this whole thread, but how many times did Rak get the ball when he had position down low?

The guy doesn't get the ball. How does he improve his offense? I would sit at the TV and yell at them to throw it down to him. The fact Keita comes in for him is ridiculous in the 2nd half.

Rak has his faults, but he is by far the best offensive option at the 5. And, people seem to forget that tremendous block he had from filling up top to ignite one of the breaks. Not to mention he is one of the few bigs that actually knows how to set a friggin screen...

Yea, missing the dunk sucks. Just another piece of everyone having an off night besides C.J.

But, I bet I can count on 1 hand the number of times he gets touches in the low post with position on one hand in big east play.

I read through this whole thread, but how many times did Rak get the ball when he had position down low?

The guy doesn't get the ball. How does he improve his offense? I would sit at the TV and yell at them to throw it down to him. The fact Keita comes in for him is ridiculous in the 2nd half.

Rak has his faults, but he is by far the best offensive option at the 5. And, people seem to forget that tremendous block he had from filling up top to ignite one of the breaks. Not to mention he is one of the few bigs that actually knows how to set a friggin screen...

Yea, missing the dunk sucks. Just another piece of everyone having an off night besides C.J.

But, I bet I can count on 1 hand the number of times he gets touches in the low post with position on one hand in big east play.

But getting the ball is also about hunger and desire.

He doesnt want to get the ball. Doesnt try to get the ball. For me its more about points. I know he had 6 rebs tonight but this kid should average 10 rebs a game given his athleticism and length. He just isnt wired the way we all want him wired.

But getting the ball is also about hunger and desire.

For a big, a lot of it is getting the guards to feed you.

Coleman is vocal about it. Christmas isn't.

Just because one is vocal and one isn't doesn't mean the ball shouldn't be sent down there.

Imagine if Triche was a big man. He would never touch the ball. You have to force feed him (and we still sometimes have to force feed Triche, though not as much in Big East play this year).

If it was me, first 3 plays are designed to get Rak in the flow, be it a touch down low or a high low with Jerami Grant.

He doesnt want to get the ball. Doesnt try to get the ball. For me its more about points. I know he had 6 rebs tonight but this kid should average 10 rebs a game given his athleticism and length. He just isnt wired the way we all want him wired.

Rebounding is a whole different issue. I agree there where the way he is wired is a big problem with that facet of his game.

But, a big can't just get the ball up top and go to work. They need to establish position, then receive the ball.

But, the other thing you have to consider is he is option # 5 on the floor with the premium lineup (MCW, BT, CJ, JS, Rak). Half of the plays Cuse runs has him do double and triple screen action to free another guy. It is rare for him to set a screen and then go into post position based solely on play design. Which is why you need to get him involved early and why I didn't mind the jumper from him.

I can count on one hand the number of times he has gotten the ball on the post and made a move worthy of him having the ball in the first place. It's sad that DC can not beat Rak out for playing time. I think we would be better of with Grant at the 5 and the three bigs coming off the bench. At the very least, it would send them a message as we are playing 5 against 4 when they're in and Grant is a better rebounder than all 3 of them and he has the basketball IQ to pull it off.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom