Rak | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Rak

How do you figure? Ricky was a much more gifted offensive player than Rak.
Ricky was more gifted in the post he didn't develop a jump shot until his senior year. Rak has the athletic about to play the 4 in the zone offensively he needs to improve, but I think he will remember he started playing basketball late in life.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

Another "problem"? lol. Ok, fixed by edit. And Baye's quality play in the NCAA's makes it less likely, IMO, that Rak will play center, especially if DC2 takes the step up that we all expect as a soph. I think we'll see Rak more at PF, with Grant backing up, and CJ Roberson trading at the 3. Wow.
Beautiful problems. :)
Still, since we are predominantly a defensive team, a lot of this team's success depends on
  1. Can Rak get out fast enough on the wings and defend?
  2. Can DC2 defend at the 5?
If neither hold true, we will see some of our real problems from last year manifest themselves.
If this happens, we see Rak and BMK getting most minutes at 5, DC2 struggling with either position and getting limited minutes, and having Roberson and Grant being a necessity at either forward spot.

Sorry to be an alarmist on this matter, but it's really just a worst case scenario. I am hoping one of those questions end up working out.

Aside from that, since we really got our guy, someone who looks mature beyond his years, if Ennis can hold up the fort at PG, we are dancing and dancing for a while.

1tumblr_lgp6q5NhE21qcjtu8o1_500.gif

Another "problem"? lol. Ok, fixed by edit. And Baye's quality play in the NCAA's makes it less likely, IMO, that Rak will log major minutes at center, especially if DC2 takes the step up that we all expect as a soph. I think we'll see Rak more at PF, with Grant backing up, and CJ Roberson trading at the 3. Wow.
Agreed Rak will be at the 4 with Grant on his tail for minutes. Roberson and grant fight for mins at the 3 backing up CJ but will play heavy mins. We will be the tallest team in the country next year...us and Kentucky...

Agreed Rak will be at the 4 with Grant on his tail for minutes. Roberson and grant fight for mins at the 3 backing up CJ but will play heavy mins. We will be the tallest team in the country next year...us spanking Kentucky...

I went ahead and fixed that for you.

Ricky was more gifted in the post he didn't develop a jump shot until his senior year. Rak has the athletic about to play the 4 in the zone offensively he needs to improve, but I think he will remember he started playing basketball late in life.

Ricky was never ideally suited to the 4, but if he got the ball within 6-8 feet of the basket he was virtually automatic. Rak has a ways to go just to reach that level of offensive ability, let alone be a threat to knock down a jump shot. And let's keep in mind that he's entering his junior year. I'd be thrilled if he could just be a guy who can put up 8/8 in ~25 min. He has value as an intimidator and rebounder, that type of guy ends up playing center in this program, not the 4.

I'll pose the same question that I asked of gj. Rak has shown very little offensive ability. In this program, that type of guy is not well-suited to play much at the 4. He had indeed been targeted as a 4 when recruited, but he has a long way to go to be able to actually play it with any regularity at SU.

Well, I certainly can't argue that Rak has shown much of anything offensively and I did include in my previous comment that he must show improvement to avoid being hooked "early and often" in favor of Grant. I don't actually see your question but I think you're asking, why would Rak start given that he has not lived up to his potential? I can only say that Rak has started every game in his two season so far and those starts have been at forward except when Fab was unavailable and after DC's injury/surgery. Even though Christmas still has a ways to go to prove his ability and value as a PF, I simply see nothing to indicate that JB will abandon that plan. But as many are already mentioning, we have a wonderful "problem" in 2013-14. There's talent behind talent. If one does not step up, others behind him will seize the opportunity.

Let's develop Coleman into the primary low post scorer. I want to see a drop step, a much more amateur "dream-shake" type move. Remember, he's undersized. He won't be dunking on people consistently, which is why footwork is so important. I've said it before and I'll say it again- he needs to model his game off Zach Randolph.
Coleman's problems will not be on offense. Please remember why he sat on the bench last year. And it wasn't because he didn't have a sky hook.

Coleman's problems will not be on offense. Please remember why he sat on the bench last year. And it wasn't because he didn't have a sky hook.

Might be true, but where were our problems last year, on defense or offense?

I agree with EastCoast2. DC and Rak will both start. How much PT they get or how quickly they get the hook will depend greatly upon their individual improvement. Rak is a poor communicator (not good if playing center of the zone) but has the tools to excel at the 4. JB's plan has been for him to be a PF all along. DC was, simply put, not ready for college ball nor the center responsibilities of the zone last year. I think DC and Keita will have a pretty equal share of minutes at center this coming year and Rak had better take advantage of these 6am workouts or he'll be looking over his shoulder at Grant checking in at the scorers table, early and often.

Please share one "Tool" that RAK has to "Excel " at the 4 !

Well, I certainly can't argue that Rak has shown much of anything offensively and I did include in my previous comment that he must show improvement to avoid being hooked "early and often" in favor of Grant. I don't actually see your question but I think you're asking, why would Rak start given that he has not lived up to his potential? I can only say that Rak has started every game in his two season so far and those starts have been at forward except when Fab was unavailable and after DC's injury/surgery. Even though Christmas still has a ways to go to prove his ability and value as a PF, I simply see nothing to indicate that JB will abandon that plan. But as many are already mentioning, we have a wonderful "problem" in 2013-14. There's talent behind talent. If one does not step up, others behind him will seize the opportunity.
I should clarify. I see Rak starting at center next year. And playing center exclusively. At this time last year I was a proponent of Rak getting time at the 4. But after another year of watching him, I just don't see that working out. Boeheim never went back to using Rak at the 4 once DC was back. You NEVER saw Rak and Keita on the floor together at any point, even during a 6 game stretch where there were only 2 other forwards eligible to play (one of whom was an untested freshman). Rak spent the vast majority of his time in the middle last season, even if he did get a number of starts at the 4. There are 4 other forwards on the roster next season, at least 3 of whom are going to play regularly. I just don't see how it works out for him playing any forward.

Ricky was never ideally suited to the 4, but if he got the ball within 6-8 feet of the basket he was virtually automatic. Rak has a ways to go just to reach that level of offensive ability, let alone be a threat to knock down a jump shot. And let's keep in mind that he's entering his junior year. I'd be thrilled if he could just be a guy who can put up 8/8 in ~25 min. He has value as an intimidator and rebounder, that type of guy ends up playing center in this program, not the 4.
I think the fact that he is not transferring tells me he will have every opportunity at the 4. I don't think he is ideal at the 4 or play more minutes than Grant but I think he starts there.

According to his twitter he's been having 6am workouts all week with Coleman and Cavanaugh, and he was in the gym this morning with Ennis.

Looks like he's staying.

Good to see him working on his game too, hopefully he can be a beast next year.
He just might surprise everyone this season

Jackson's offense is really overrated. He never had a ton of moves. He could make a jump hook over his right shoulder. He had a hard time doing anything with his right hand. Never really had a jumper. He could face up somewhat, but he also let himself get pushed out too far too often to be effective, so sometimes facing up was a bad choice. People forget that especially as a senior he was a very good passer. Let's stop talking about Big Dick Jackson like he was this transcendent offensive player.

Anyway, put me in the camp that says Rak is on the road to developing into a bruising power forward. A lot of his offensive success will depend on the chemistry he develops with Ennis, Gbinije and Cooney. Last season he saw a lob once and a while from MCW and that was about it. I think he's a little more skilled as a scorer than he has had the chance to show. We need new scorers next season - Rak has an opportunity.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Jackson's offense is really overrated. He never had a ton of moves. He could make a jump hook over his right shoulder. He had a hard time doing anything with his right hand. Never really had a jumper. He could face up somewhat, but he also let himself get pushed out too far too often to be effective, so sometimes facing up was a bad choice. People forget that especially as a senior he was a very good passer. Let's stop talking about Big Dick Jackson like he was this transcendent offensive player.

Anyway, put me in the camp that says Rak is on the road to developing into a bruising power forward. A lot of his offensive success will depend on the chemistry he develops with Ennis, Gbinije and Cooney. Last season he saw a lob once and a while from MCW and that was about it. I think he's a little more skilled as a scorer than he has had the chance to show. We need new scorers next season - Rak has an opportunity.

Nobody said that. But as a soph he exhibited more offensive ability than Rak did. And it's not even close. Despite the fact that Rak is a more impressive athlete.

Nobody said that. But as a soph he exhibited more offensive ability than Rak did. And it's not even close. Despite the fact that Rak is a more impressive athlete.
He did. His 5 was also one of the best low post scorers we've ever had.

I should clarify. I see Rak starting at center next year. And playing center exclusively. At this time last year I was a proponent of Rak getting time at the 4. But after another year of watching him, I just don't see that working out. Boeheim never went back to using Rak at the 4 once DC was back. You NEVER saw Rak and Keita on the floor together at any point, even during a 6 game stretch where there were only 2 other forwards eligible to play (one of whom was an untested freshman). Rak spent the vast majority of his time in the middle last season, even if he did get a number of starts at the 4. There are 4 other forwards on the roster next season, at least 3 of whom are going to play regularly. I just don't see how it works out for him playing any forward.

I'm not trying to argue with you and you do make some quality points but the truth of the matter is that Rak's starts and minutes at the 4, thru his first two season, have been by design while his starts and minutes at center have been out of necessity. Keep in mind that during that 6 game stretch that you mentioned, Rak and DC started at the 4 and 5 respectively for the first four of them. It was not until DC was sidelined that Rak began starting at center. But you are correct that in those remaining 2 games CJ and Grant both played the full 40 and Rak and Keita were not on the floor together. I cannot argue that Christmas spent more time on the court as a forward than he did as a center last season but I guarantee that if DC had been more serviceable he would have and he will next year. As for the "4 other forwards", everyone should take a moment and consider the past several years and JB's M.O. when it comes to freshman. Of course there have been exceptions but more times than not JB takes his time integrating the new class while the 2nd and 3rd+ year players, by and large, get the PT. Despite the expectations and talent of Roberson and BJ there's little reason to expect that either of them will get significant minutes. I believe Roberson will get a few (and I mean few) but I doubt BJ will do anything more than sniff the floor during non-con garbage time. I know you're not sold on Rak being a PF. To be honest neither am I. But that's where JB will continue to work him unless necessity dictates otherwise.

Just out of curiosity, if things were to unfold as you feel they will and Christmas starts at and plays center, presumably splitting time with BK, where do you see DC in this mix? Getting 3rd option minutes at center? Working minutes at the 4 with the belief that he's actually a better fit there than Rak? Or maybe mired at the end of the bench and lost in the shuffle? None of these are going to happen. Like it or not and for better or worse, barring injuries and/or suspensions, DC is going to play center and Rak will slide over.

Might be true, but where were our problems last year, on defense or offense?
They weren't on defense because Coleman was on the bench. In JB's defensive system, the center is a Very important link with the whole zone.

I'm not trying to argue with you and you do make some quality points but the truth of the matter is that Rak's starts and minutes at the 4, thru his first two season, have been by design while his starts and minutes at center have been out of necessity. Keep in mind that during that 6 game stretch that you mentioned, Rak and DC started at the 4 and 5 respectively for the first four of them. It was not until DC was sidelined that Rak began starting at center. But you are correct that in those remaining 2 games CJ and Grant both played the full 40 and Rak and Keita were not on the floor together. I cannot argue that Christmas spent more time on the court as a forward than he did as a center last season but I guarantee that if DC had been more serviceable he would have and he will next year. As for the "4 other forwards", everyone should take a moment and consider the past several years and JB's M.O. when it comes to freshman. Of course there have been exceptions but more times than not JB takes his time integrating the new class while the 2nd and 3rd+ year players, by and large, get the PT. Despite the expectations and talent of Roberson and BJ there's little reason to expect that either of them will get significant minutes. I believe Roberson will get a few (and I mean few) but I doubt BJ will do anything more than sniff the floor during non-con garbage time. I know you're not sold on Rak being a PF. To be honest neither am I. But that's where JB will continue to work him unless necessity dictates otherwise.

Just out of curiosity, if things were to unfold as you feel they will and Christmas starts at and plays center, presumably splitting time with BK, where do you see DC in this mix? Getting 3rd option minutes at center? Working minutes at the 4 with the belief that he's actually a better fit there than Rak? Or maybe mired at the end of the bench and lost in the shuffle? None of these are going to happen. Like it or not and for better or worse, barring injuries and/or suspensions, DC is going to play center and Rak will slide over.
I think center could unfold any number of ways, but there are three realistic outcomes IMO: 1) one guy emerges from the pack and takes the lion's share of the minutes, and the other two guys split backup duty, 2) two guys emerge and split the job, with the third getting squeezed from the rotation in meaningful games; 3) nobody improves much from last year, and it's a 3-headed monster, with JB riding the hot-hand and/or benching the guy who is in his doghouse on a game by game basis. If all three improve by leaps and bounds, wow look out, but I think that is a long shot. I discount Obokoh in all of this, I'd be thrilled if he proved me wrong but I think it's very possible he redshirts.

You are correct about the 4 games where Southerland was out and DC started. We'll just have to disagree on whether the frosh make an impact or not; for the record I think Roberson will get a Grant-like role, and Johnson (despite the rave reviews of late) ends up outside of the real rotation in his first year. BTW I don't mind if you argue with me, I enjoy the discussion and it's not like you've been a dick or anything.

If Ricky can play the 4 Rak definitely can. Next years team will be interesting if we shoot the ball well watch out!

The question is can they score enough to stay out on the floor. If they can't score, one of them will come out, even if they do both start.

The question is can they score enough to stay out on the floor. If they can't score, one of them will come out, even if they do both start.
Agreed!

If Rak is at center the backup to Grant and CJ then becomes a frosh - probably Roberson. So the decision to start Rak at pf could be based on getting minutes to BMK over Roberson.

Roberson is better than Rak right now.

Sent using my Commodore 64

If Rak wants to play the four he has to want it. He needs to make his number one priority improving his defensive lateral speed bursts(sliding and not), by conditioning hard with a trainer over the summer. It would help his loose ball rebounding if he did as well.

If Rak plays the four with dajuan, it will be dajuan at center in the high post. Rak will be more inside with his verticle and we won't lose his offense. Both will be our best screensetters and Between Fair Ennis Gbinije alone we will be doing alot of driving.

Roberson is better than Rak right now.

Sent using my Commodore 64
First off, let me commend you on your guts as some people here are not going to understand this.
I for one, am not one of them and it's no disrespect to Rak.
He's a really good defender at center, and this is a critical component to our defense.

That said, Roberson might offer us more low post presence on the offensive end than anyone else.
Let me say that again. Anyone.

CJ and Grant are both studs, but they are not low post, back to the basket guys. Watch full games and you'll understand. Everyone keeps doubting this, and I know what our current roster is capable of, but if you don't see for yourself, it's not really fair to compare based on age alone.
I don't care if they're high school games or not, he has an amazing assortment of moves around the basket, and he can shoot the ball effectively. He is a machine on both ends of the court and all he does is work. I've heard it from one of his coaches, and he's a student all day, all night. We might need Ennis more, but Roberson will be the biggest surprise for some.

I know he's coming in and has to earn his run, but he will.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cusethunder

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom