Rakeem Christmas: Is He Really So Good? | Syracusefan.com

Rakeem Christmas: Is He Really So Good?

Col. Bleep

All American
I hope everyone realizes what kind of a game he just had.
22 and 12 with a parade of giant bodies banging him all game long.
Running up and down non-stop all game long and not even looking tired.
Doing it after going 40 minutes on Saturday.
With only the usual limited help on offense.
And he's already got his degree!

Potential Player of the Year.
Not just in the ACC.
In the entire country.

(And yes, the headline was just to get a few people to read to read this.
But Rak deserves it. Cannot say enough good things about him).

I hope everyone realizes what kind of a game he just had.
22 and 12 with a parade of giant bodies banging him all game long.
Running up and down non-stop all game long and not even looking tired.
Doing it after going 40 minutes on Saturday.
With only the usual limited help on offense.
And he's already got his degree!

Potential Player of the Year.
Not just in the ACC.
In the entire country.

(And yes, the headline was just to get a few people to read to read this.
But Rak deserves it. Cannot say enough good things about him).

Agree 100%

If he isnt 2nd team AA at worst, its a joke.

Its a joke if he's not 1st team. You can say Okafor is better which is fine but no one else is so you put them both up there. The issue fro Rak is we probably aren't good enough for him to get ACCPOY or 1st team AA.

Its a joke if he's not 1st team. You can say Okafor is better which is fine but no one else is so you put them both up there. The issue fro Rak is we probably aren't good enough for him to get ACCPOY or 1st team AA.

we have played all scrubs so far, limited exposure. We will be on ESPN pretty much every game vs top teams going forward... if he can keep up even a 15 pts and 8 rebs for the rest of the year... he will be a lock for 1st team ACC and maybe POY. Leagues like to reward guys that stay.

Wish he could stick around and mentor the younger guys.

Actually, because he's in the middle of is graduate degree there is an NCAA loophole that would allow him to play another year if the NCAA gives him a waiver to play. You never know because money isn't everything. He seems to like academics. Stranger things have happened like an Orange basketball player getting is 4-degree in 3 years! Christmas is such a great story!

we have played all scrubs so far, limited exposure. We will be on ESPN pretty much every game vs top teams going forward... if he can keep up even a 15 pts and 8 rebs for the rest of the year... he will be a lock for 1st team ACC and maybe POY. Leagues like to reward guys that stay.

It seems that the only way he is likely not to put up big numbers is foul trouble. He seems so automatic and he's getting double, tripled and beat up.

Actually, because he's in the middle of is graduate degree there is an NCAA loophole that would allow him to play another year if the NCAA gives him a waiver to play. You never know because money isn't everything. He seems to like academics. Stranger things have happened like an Orange basketball player getting is 4-degree in 3 years! Christmas is such a great story!

I don't believe that's true. You are only allowed 4 years total of playing time. If he had redshirted one of his previous years, you'd be onto something. But you don't get to play a 5th year.

If he plays really well against Okafor that may be our highlight moment of the season!

I don't think this is correct. 5 years to play 4 but never more than 4 years eligibility unless you get special waiver for missing partial seasons with injury. I might be wrong but I thought the grad thing was transferring into a grad program at another school and not having to sit out a year. You still only get 4 years of playing.

If he plays really well against Okafor that may be our highlight moment of the season!

Which is likely because Okafor struggles on D. I worry about Rak picking up fouls every time there is contact when he is defending however.

It will be really interested to see where he is drafted. I know he's older but he is an absolute stud. Athletic, mobile, big, physical, with a post game and solid free throw shooting. Some team is going to get a steal when they draft him. Even if you want to play him at PF in the NBA, I have all the confidence in the world that he can develop a solid mid range jump shot. The way he's playing right now, I can't imagine he doesn't get drafted mid-late first round.

Which is likely because Okafor struggles on D. I worry about Rak picking up fouls every time there is contact when he is defending however.

Rak got away with a couple last night. Very rare he gets the benefit of no whistle.

I don't believe that's true. You are only allowed 4 years total of playing time. If he had redshirted one of his previous years, you'd be onto something. But you don't get to play a 5th year.

You may be right. I remember reading it but I can't find the article. If I find it I will post the link.

Last edited:
It will be really interested to see where he is drafted. I know he's older but he is an absolute stud. Athletic, mobile, big, physical, with a post game and solid free throw shooting. Some team is going to get a steal when they draft him. Even if you want to play him at PF in the NBA, I have all the confidence in the world that he can develop a solid mid range jump shot. The way he's playing right now, I can't imagine he doesn't get drafted mid-late first round.

Don't forget brains! And his soft left handed shot is amazing!

The crazy thing I saw last night was that his foot was killing him at a few points, but he kept trucking up and down the court seemingly unhampered by it. I had no idea he was dealing with plantar fasciitis. That hurts like crazy. Been there, never want to do that again.

I tend to think one of the better teams is going to take him late first round and be very happy that they did. A team that's good but looking for some immediate front line help rather than a future prospect.

I imagine the moment he steps on the court when we are at Duke the referee will blow the whistle just because.

Rak got away with a couple last night. Very rare he gets the benefit of no whistle.

He did or they saved him by calling the reach in from the side. Still UNC got away with much more than he did. Its sad when you are basically conceding the shot in the lane and the offensive player still feels the need to barrel into you chest. I think that happened 5 times with Meeks and 2 times with Johnson.

I imagine the moment he steps on the court when we are at Duke the referee will blow the whistle just because.

They did that last night and then the ref who blew the whistle had no idea who the foul was on (cause there wasn't one) but decided to give it to Tyler after realizing only Tyler and Rak were anywhere near him.

The crazy thing I saw last night was that his foot was killing him at a few points, but he kept trucking up and down the court seemingly unhampered by it. I had no idea he was dealing with plantar fasciitis. That hurts like crazy. Been there, never want to do that again.

My wife has plantar fasciitis. And I thought all her complaints were bad before she got it! Holy cow now!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom