Rakeem Christmas must be the strongest man in college basketball | Syracusefan.com

Rakeem Christmas must be the strongest man in college basketball

shandeezy7

Living Legend
I've avoided posting following that game on Saturday, mostly because I don't really know what to say.

However, one thing I have taken away from Saturday's game, and really from the first 10 games of the year is this: Rakeem Christmas is the strongest man in college basketball, maybe in the history of college basketball.

How else can you explain the fact that 250 pound men are bouncing off of him on a consistent basis, flailing away as though they have encountered an immense immovable object? Fighting for position is futile against Rak, as he tosses grown men to the floor like rag dolls.

Rak is just too strong for his own good, right? Like he'd probably be better off joining the Fantastic Four and fighting evil super villains than trying to play basketball, I think.

I'm guessing it has nothing to do with the fact that other teams have identified Rak as our most important player, both offensively and defensively. And with no one to really back him up, it would be extremely beneficial to have him in foul trouble as quickly as possible. So in comes the flailing and flopping.

Fighting for rebounding position with Rak? Take a dive and go sliding backwards 48 feet. That will get the refs attention. Have him bodied up in the post? Throw and arm or shoulder into him while attempting a shot, and the refs will surely call a foul on him. Does he have you bodied up in the post? Wait for him to make his move and then go flailing backwards like a combination of Shaquille O'Neal and Andre the Giant just barreled through you.

Coaches are 100% instructing their players to flop anytime they are around Rak on the court. And referees are far too gullible to catch onto what is going on? Does Rak also commit way too many stupid fouls? Of course. But he certainly isn't being helped out by the stripes. It's been a really frustrating 10 games to watch so far.

My favorite is when a monster of a man is near Rak and said monster goes flying to the floor, Rak hears the whistle and just has a comical look on his face.

His 2nd foul Saturday. I think on a Cooney miss he had inside position for an offensive board and the nova player behind him went flying backwords and fell to the ground (Oshefo I think, spelling I know). Rak has this exact facial expression that you mentioned.

His 2nd foul Saturday. I think on a Cooney miss he had inside position for an offensive board and the nova player behind him went flying backwords and fell to the ground (Oshefo I think, spelling I know). Rak has this exact facial expression that you mentioned.

Yup. Part of me likes that for the most part our guys don't engage in this flopping bs. But the other part of me sees every other team do it against us, with incompetent refs unable to distinguish between flopping and not flopping (even though thousands of other people are able to somehow judge the call correctly in real time). I love the fact that Jay Bilas has been taking NCAA refs to task for this recently on Twitter. Hopefully it gets the attention of the NCAA and real change is made.

Yup. Part of me likes that for the most part our guys don't engage in this flopping bs. But the other part of me sees every other team do it against us, with incompetent refs unable to distinguish between flopping and not flopping (even though thousands of other people are able to somehow judge the call correctly in real time). I love the fact that Jay Bilas has been taking NCAA refs to task for this recently on Twitter. Hopefully it gets the attention of the NCAA and real change is made.
Iv seen RAK flop his fair share as well...the play that fouled out Jefferson in the Duke game was a nice acting job from RAK...everyone does it. RAK loves to bring his hands down instead going straight up ( hasn't learned he will be called for it in 3 plus years) he should also be told he is allowed to jump with his hands straight up to guard a foul line jumper.

He is not as strong as Tyler Roberson. Tyler can take one dribble and barely touch JayVaughn Pinkston and sentd him flying halfway across the court.

That was Tyler's 6th baseline drive on six drive attempts and Pinkston was there although he did exaggerate the contact for sure.