Random Marius Janulis thread | Syracusefan.com

Random Marius Janulis thread

adk(roc)CUSE

All Conference
Off on Fridays and when I'm bored, especially during hoops season I search you tube for old Cuse games and moments. Came across clips from the 98 tournament and it has the last 3 minutes of 5 seed Cuse vs 12 seed Iona game. As some might remember Marius Janulis hit the game winning 3 with about a second to go. What I did not not recall was he hit a go ahead 3 with about 57 seconds left, scoring the last 6 points of the game for us. A couple of clutch shots that might be burried in Cuse tournamnet lore.

We would go on to smother 4 seed New Mexico in the next round 56-46 in a game I mostly forget. Going to search for that one next.

Anyway love hoops history, especially Cuse hoops history and am always reading old box scores and scouring youtube for stuff like this.

Here's the clip if you want to check it out, a bit grainy but still fun. Cuse is at about 1:15 mark:

That was a fun game. remember it well. Think I was at an ESPNZone in DC... that place was always full of 'Cuse fans back in the day. I remember the cheer as the shot went down, too bad we had to run into a stacked Duke team in St. Pete's that year, or we could have made it a bit further.

I love that at exactly the 1:00 minute mark Jason Hart is dribbling aggressively but without a purpose at the top of the key, quite obviously about to do something insane that will cost Syracuse the game, so Boeheim takes a timeout to encourage a different course of action. Now that was a smart timeout.

Also, while I remember Janulis's game-winner as a huge bailout, I'd forgotten how totally hopeless that last offensive possession was - overdribbling by Hart, little movement off the ball (especially by Thomas and Blackwell, both of whom had decent post skills but just camped out on the weak side of the lane), and the typical crazy drive and prayer by Burgan. Good find on the kick-out off his own rebound though: this resembled the game-winner against St. John's the previous week more than I thought.

I also appreciate the obligatory Elvir Ovcina/Eric Williams celebration. And I miss Mike Hopkins.

My goodness...20 years have just flown by. I watched that game at a sports bar in Charlotte at the time called the "Scoreboard." It was this large joint, on Independence Blvd. here that was a go to place back in the mid 90's through early 2000's. I also watch McNabb and co. kick Brady's UM butts there as well.

In any event, the place had stadium type seating with speakers on the tables where you could switch to the particular game that you wanted to watch so that there was audio...so cool. I remember prior to Janulis hitting that shot at the end going from anguish and how I said to my co-workers at the time, it, I'm not going back to the office if Syracuse loses, to euphoria after he hit the game winner. Afterwards, I still said to my co-workers screw it, I'm still not going back to the office and kept on drinking.

I love that at exactly the 1:00 minute mark Jason Hart is dribbling aggressively but without a purpose at the top of the key, quite obviously about to do something insane that will cost Syracuse the game, so Boeheim takes a timeout to encourage a different course of action. Now that was a smart timeout.
I didn't remember that. That is hilarious. photographers, mop boys, sousaphonists, cheerleaders, all of them feared for their life when Hart gets that I GOT THIS look in his eyes

I didn't remember that. That is hilarious. photographers, mop boys, sousaphonists, cheerleaders, all of them feared for their life when Hart gets that I GOT THIS look in his eyes

He would get that extra bounce in his step, pick up his dribble a little, and you knew that one of three things would happen:

He'd try to break the backboard with a layup attempt,
He'd miss a line-drive three by at least the diameter of the ball,
He'd rocket a pass into the stands.

I love that guy, but he was a terrifying point guard like 80% of the time. Seeing the clips again bears that out. Hell, after Iona took the lead again Boeheim's designed play was "Jason, stay the hell away from the ball."

Can you help a brother out with a time stamp?

"Zip. Bingo"

The announcers were just as good then as they are now.

Off on Fridays and when I'm bored, especially during hoops season I search you tube for old Cuse games and moments. Came across clips from the 98 tournament and it has the last 3 minutes of 5 seed Cuse vs 12 seed Iona game. As some might remember Marius Janulis hit the game winning 3 with about a second to go. What I did not not recall was he hit a go ahead 3 with about 57 seconds left, scoring the last 6 points of the game for us. A couple of clutch shots that might be burried in Cuse tournamnet lore.

We would go on to smother 4 seed New Mexico in the next round 56-46 in a game I mostly forget. Going to search for that one next.

Anyway love hoops history, especially Cuse hoops history and am always reading old box scores and scouring youtube for stuff like this.

Here's the clip if you want to check it out, a bit grainy but still fun. Cuse is at about 1:15 mark:

When I became HardCore (Even though I was a fan since 63) BBALL, Football since 58 My Brother in law in Pic From the archives: Syracuse basketball's journey to the 1975 Final Four (photos)

Wow, I really don’t remember that at all. It is very reminiscent of the back and forth ending of the UGA game in 96.

Boy, Iona made three game winning plays in the final 75 seconds and still didn’t get the win.

Wow, I really don’t remember that at all. It is very reminiscent of the back and forth ending of the UGA game in 96.

Boy, Iona made three game winning plays in the final 75 seconds and still didn’t get the win.

Good comparison to the Georgia ending. Not as smooth because of all the time outs in this one but def as far as a play standpoint goes. That Iona 3 to take the lead back was a tough shot.

Another thing I remember about Marius is his revelation that he sometimes suffered from panic attacks (quite common for people in their twenties) when playing. He didn't get them during practice or scrimmages, but rather during actual games, if I recall correctly.

This does seem like evidence in favor of the argument that a player's performance during practice and during showtime are 2 different things.

Also, while I remember Janulis's game-winner as a huge bailout, I'd forgotten how totally hopeless that last offensive possession was - overdribbling by Hart, little movement off the ball (especially by Thomas and Blackwell, both of whom had decent post skills but just camped out on the weak side of the lane), and the typical crazy drive and prayer by Burgan. Good find on the kick-out off his own rebound though: this resembled the game-winner against St. John's the previous week more than I thought.

I also appreciate the obligatory Elvir Ovcina/Eric Williams celebration. And I miss Mike Hopkins.
That was a tough season. JB built the team around Burgan, who had a lot of experience but not much else. Lots of possessions ended with Todd dribbling into double teams. It was rare when something good happened. This was one of those unusual good outcomes.

My goodness...20 years have just flown by. I watched that game at a sports bar in Charlotte at the time called the "Scoreboard." It was this large joint, on Independence Blvd. here that was a go to place back in the mid 90's through early 2000's. I also watch McNabb and co. kick Brady's UM butts there as well.

In any event, the place had stadium type seating with speakers on the tables where you could switch to the particular game that you wanted to watch so that there was audio...so cool. I remember prior to Janulis hitting that shot at the end going from anguish and how I said to my co-workers at the time, it, I'm not going back to the office if Syracuse loses, to euphoria after he hit the game winner. Afterwards, I still said to my co-workers screw it, I'm still not going back to the office and kept on drinking.
I lived in Charlotte from 92 to 94 and I was there frequently during football season. Watched the infamous Marvin Graves Miracle in Morgantown game in the midst of a few dozen heated WVU fans. It was awesome. At the time, about 50% of Charlotte's population seemed to be West Virginia transplants.

I watched that SU v Iona game at the Connolly's pub on 47th street around the corner from my office. During the TO before our final possession, the moron sitting next to me said SU was going to lose because "they always get upset in the first round. " I loved at him and said "That's a common misconception." To which he asked, "when was the last time they did anything?" I said, "We were in the finals 2 years ago!" He conveniently couldn't remember that. There were so many idiots then that spouted the same nonsense.

I lived in Charlotte from 92 to 94 and I was there frequently during football season. Watched the infamous Marvin Graves Miracle in Morgantown game in the midst of a few dozen heated WVU fans. It was awesome. At the time, about 50% of Charlotte's population seemed to be West Virginia transplants.

I also watched a few games in our incredible '96 tourney run there as well. The Georgia game where Wallace hits that shot I'll never forget. Prior to that moment, Georgia fans were going nuts and saying some nice "southern" things to me. Let's just say...I got the last words in, Yankee style. Somehow, I miraculously got out of there without incident. :)

I also watched a few games in our incredible '96 tourney run there as well. The Georgia game where Wallace hits that shot I'll never forget. Prior to that moment, Georgia fans were going nuts and saying some nice "southern" things to me. Let's just say...I got the last words in, Yankee style. Somehow, I miraculously got out of there without incident. :)
That SU v UGA game is one of my all time favorite games. Two teams that wanted to win and making plays to get it done. Contrast it with the 6 OT game where it kept going because no one could make a play at the end of each OT.

Cut work that day in ‘98 to stay home and watch the game in my apartment. My relatively new (3 months or so) girlfriend asked if she could come over and watch the game with me, and for some reason I said yes. When the Iona kid hit that late 3, the thought crossed my mind that this new gf had no idea how dark I was about to get if we lost a 1st round NCAA game. Janulis’ shot saved me from what would have been a certain breakup (I’m quite sure I would have asked her to leave my apartment, and I don’t think there would have been any way to walk that back). Instead, we got married one year later in March of ‘99, and will be celebrating 20 years of wedded bliss next month. Thanks, Marius!

I watched that SU v Iona game at the Connolly's pub on 47th street around the corner from my office. During the TO before our final possession, the moron sitting next to me said SU was going to lose because "they always get upset in the first round. " I loved at him and said "That's a common misconception." To which he asked, "when was the last time they did anything?" I said, "We were in the finals 2 years ago!" He conveniently couldn't remember that. There were so many idiots then that spouted the same nonsense.

"That's a common misconception" response from you was so nice & diplomatic. Back in my younger days, I'm pretty sure I would have responded much differently. ;):p