Random memorable games | Syracusefan.com

Random memorable games

skurey

Living Legend
We all know the big games against Duke and UConn and in the tourney but what are some under the radar games we've been apart of?

Inspired by the Scoop thread there was the game at Pitt where they started up like 19-0 then we scored like 18 straight. Never seen anything like that before.

The run we had against nc state in 2011, like 23-0.

Beating UNC with Wes and company in 09/10.

Villanova game 1, unreal in the student section.

Some of the most exciting games I can remember:

--Beating UNC in 1987 to advance to the final four. Two heavyweight teams laden with big time NBA talent, and oodles of NBA bigs on both sides
--Beating a terrific Missouri team for the 2nd time during the 88-89 season to get to the elite 8 [think we had a 16-0 run against them in the 2nd half]
--Pitt 2003 in the Dome -- HUGE comeback. This was the game I realized that we were a special team that could go far in the tournament that year
--Beating Georgetown in the Dome during the 09-10 season, after they got up 13-0 to start the game

The win at Louisville in 2013. The win at Pitt, Warricks sophomore year(2004, my freshman year). Michigan State 2003. Wallaces performance against Georgia in the Sweet 16 in 06 that cemented him as my favorite Orange player of all time.

cant place the year, in the dome I think against uconn? When the game was over, rushed the court, and Thomas, hart, Blackwell and company standing on the scorers table to free themselves of the chaos. Jerseys off, waving them over their heads. Crazy atmosphere.

That PITT game when McNeal hit BOTH free throws.

At Purdue 1/13/80.

from Orangehoops.com:

On January 13th the Orangemen went to Mackey Arena to play Purdue University in what was considered at the time one of the biggest regular season games in Syracuse basketball history. The Orangemen were undefeated and ranked #5, and were facing Purdue, ranked #9, and their All American center Joe Barry Carroll. The Orangemen would fall behind by 10 points in the second half, and trailed 59-56 with 1:58 left in the game. The Orangemen would rally win 66-61, behind solid defensive work of Orr and Bouie. Carroll had a strong first half and ended the game with 28 points, but Bouie shut down Carroll down the stretch. Eddie Moss was the real star of the game with multiple steals, outstanding defense and 10 rebounds.

Pitt in 2003 when we rushed the court 3 times. Jeremy McNeil played the hero in the final minute and we barely held on with a Brandin Knight half court possible winner was not out of his hand in time. That game was insanity.

Pitt in 2003 when we rushed the court 3 times. Jeremy McNeil played the hero in the final minute and we barely held on with a Brandin Knight half court possible winner was not out of his hand in time. That game was insanity.
Jeremy McNeil on the last second heave by Knight: "Sh** looked good."

Some of the most exciting games I can remember:

--Beating UNC in 1987 to advance to the final four. Two heavyweight teams laden with big time NBA talent, and oodles of NBA bigs on both sides
--Beating a terrific Missouri team for the 2nd time during the 88-89 season to get to the elite 8 [think we had a 16-0 run against them in the 2nd half]
--Pitt 2003 in the Dome -- HUGE comeback. This was the game I realized that we were a special team that could go far in the tournament that year
--Beating Georgetown in the Dome during the 09-10 season, after they got up 13-0 to start the game

Was this the one where Pitt hit a buzzer beater but it was ruled that he didn't get the shot off and the students rushed the court twice? That was the first game I ever went to.

Two of the games that I always think of:
- Fab Melo's 10 block game against Herb Pope, who people were considering one of the favorites for Big East POY at the time. Probably the most dominant defensive game I've ever seen.
- The game against Seton Hall when we got absolutely dominated. I think it was one of Jeremy Hazell's first games back after being shot during a robbery or something like that and he and the rest of that team just made it rain from 3 point range. I remember because they were one of the worst 3 point shooting teams in the country and they just lit us up and I was in disbelief.
- The game @ Louisville when MCW flipped the switch the last few minutes

Edit: Should say 3 games...I wasn't initially including the Louisville one

Last edited:
- Fab Melo's 10 block game against Herb Pope, who people were considering one of the favorites for Big East POY at the time. Probably the most dominant defensive game I've ever seen.
- The game against Seton Hall when we got absolutely dominated. I think it was one of Jeremy Hazell's first games back after being shot during a robbery or something like that and he and the rest of that team just made it rain from 3 point range. I remember because they were one of the worst 3 point shooting teams in the country and they just lit us up and I was in disbelief.

I remember that Seton Hall game well, I was taking a night class at the time, and had to miss the game, I remember checking the score in the computer lab, and fell out of my chair when I saw the score.

The funny thing about the Seton Hall game(ironically cause of Millhouses thread) is Scoop was so bad I believe that's when the rumor of point shaving came up.

2003 season -
Boston College with Craig Smith, Troy Bell and Ryan Sidney. I sat second row behind the visitor bench with a friend. We heckled Sidney the entire first half unbeknownst to us at the time his family was sitting in the same section. His girlfriend and uncle threatened us during half time as if that would slow us down.
Sidney continuously missed free throws and we mocked him even during breaks. He had a nice dunk and gave us a gun pointing gesture (which everyone saw was generated towards us). Game respect game. Warrick came down and threw down a massive dunk and BC calls time out. My friend apologizes for Warrick getting Sidney's girlfriend pregnant from the dunk... He had to be restrained by a team manager and his entire family was removed from section.
SU Won - 82-74

Think that was an 8 or 9pm start.. which added to the insanity of that night.

Notre Dame in 2003 was an incredible experience as well. 25th birthday...Was up to 4 the night before, then headed to a friend's at 9 to pregame for a while. Remember it was brutally cold that day and pounding beers outside the Dome and freezing.

Missouri in 03 was great. Not a huge crowd, but energetic. First time I felt we had something special that year.

Edit: Should say 3 games...I wasn't initially including the Louisville one

Do we have a player that is capable of doing this right now?

Do we have a player that is capable of doing this right now?

He was an absolute terror at the top of the zone. I lost count how many times teams would try to just lob an inbounds pass into their own backcourt to play it safe and he'd go back and steal it.

Think that was an 8 or 9pm start.. which added to the insanity of that night.

Notre Dame in 2003 was an incredible experience as well. 25th birthday...Was up to 4 the night before, then headed to a friend's at 9 to pregame for a while. Remember it was brutally cold that day and pounding beers outside the Dome and freezing.

Missouri in 03 was great. Not a huge crowd, but energetic. First time I felt we had something special that year.

I remember that game for another reason. That was supposed to be the 1st game I ever went to. I think Edelin was suspended at the time, because I made one of those "ESPN" signs that said "Edelin Should Play Now". The roads were beyond awful that night; visibility was basically 0, but my family and I made the drive from Rochester anyways because my dad worked with one of Boeheim's nieces at the time and she had hooked us up with tickets. We parked on South Campus and waited what felt like 20 minutes in the blizzard like conditions (I was only 11 at the time, so I may be exaggerating just how bad it was haha). We finally caught the shuttle to the dome and went up to Will Call to get our tickets. There were no tickets. As it turned out, my dad had been deciding between the Missouri and the Pittsburgh game, ended up picking Pittsburgh, and then thought he had picked Missouri. So we had to wait outside for the shuttle to take us back to South again and then drive through that awful weather all the way home.

Of course the Pittsburgh game ended up being an instant classic, and getting to watch that game with Gerry McNamara's family and getting hoisted up on my dad's shoulders while everyone rushed the court twice was an experience that I will never forget. From that night on, I wanted to go to Syracuse when I got older.

I remember that game for another reason. That was supposed to be the 1st game I ever went to. I think Edelin was suspended at the time, because I made one of those "ESPN" signs that said "Edelin Should Play Now". The roads were beyond awful that night; visibility was basically 0, but my family and I made the drive from Rochester anyways because my dad worked with one of Boeheim's nieces at the time and she had hooked us up with tickets. We parked on South Campus and waited what felt like 20 minutes in the blizzard like conditions (I was only 11 at the time, so I may be exaggerating just how bad it was haha). We finally caught the shuttle to the dome and went up to Will Call to get our tickets. There were no tickets. As it turned out, my dad had been deciding between the Missouri and the Pittsburgh game, ended up picking Pittsburgh, and then thought he had picked Missouri. So we had to wait outside for the shuttle to take us back to South again and then drive through that awful weather all the way home.

Of course the Pittsburgh game ended up being an instant classic, and getting to watch that game with Gerry McNamara's family and getting hoisted up on my dad's shoulders while everyone rushed the court twice was an experience that I will never forget. From that night on, I wanted to go to Syracuse when I got older.

Holy cow. Why didn't he just spring for some general admission tickets at that point!? Goodness!

He was an absolute terror at the top of the zone. I lost count how many times teams would try to just lob an inbounds pass into their own backcourt to play it safe and he'd go back and steal it.

Just from that small clip, look when that pass was being made and the defensive position of EVERYBODY on the floor. Nobody was ever open that season. Our offense blew chunks but that defense would have made the Warriors think twice about passing the ball around.

Night and day from then to now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom