Random Notes | Syracusefan.com

Random Notes

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
Tulane got smoked by Tulsa yesterday 31-3. Do not appear to have a strong team this season.

Great win for WF over NC State. Let's hope they finish in the top half of the ACC and go to a nice bowl. Would not surprise me.

Toledo has a fine team, close to top 25 quality. Almost shocked the world against OSU. That game is going to be a donnybrook. We are fortunate they will have played Ohio State and Boise State by then. They are not good at running with the ball...30 attempts for 46 net yards against the Buckeyes, but they can pass. Eric Page (12 catches 145 yards 2 TDs) is an outstanding WR and RB Adonis Thomas is a very good receiver out of the backfield. Our banged up and troubled secondary will be tested.

What is up with RU and UConn having rush hour replays of their football games on SNY while none of our games get this treatment? I think these shows are a nice way of getting games out there for people to see, especially people who go to games or watched other games. The same thing happened last year and maybe the year before. Why are there no SU rush hours? Does anyone know? To me, this is unacceptable and needs to be addressed.

We are fortunate they will have played Ohio State and Boise State by then

I would think "unfortunate". I think I'd rather that they'd played weak teams.

Toledo is a huge game, game will be very tough. We will be beat up after USC and tired.. That west coast trip takes time to recover from as well. If su doesn't recover Toledo will take us to the woodshed, they have the ability to score quickly and they can beat us soundly if we aren't careful.

I think they will need 1 of the next 2 to make a bowl

I must say, that I'm surprised that RU isn't better. It seems that Schiano has recruited well over the past few years - he has talent.

It seems that those who suggested that WF was a decent team may very well be right - that the young talent that was recruited after the Orange Bowl season is asserting itself.

Good point on Toledo - probably should have beaten OSU.

Toledo is a huge game, game will be very tough. We will be beat up after USC and tired.. That west coast trip takes time to recover from as well. If su doesn't recover Toledo will take us to the woodshed, they have the ability to score quickly and they can beat us soundly if we aren't careful.

I think they will need 1 of the next 2 to make a bowl
Have to agree about the recovery time from the USC game. I wish the 2 games were reversed.

You have to wonder how Rutgers get in so many games where they get outplayed but almost win, zero rushing, late they were down 200 yds in total offense.. yet NC take penalties and turns it over 5 times to keep them in the game. the TO and special teams plays they generate are really how they win any big game. coaching has to be some of that..

Have to agree about the recovery time from the USC game. I wish the 2 games were reversed.
Not me, since we jump into Big East play the week after the Toledo game. I'd much rather be recovering from a West Coast trip to play an out of conference opponent. I want us to be fully recovered so that we can smoke Rutgers.

You have to wonder how Rutgers get in so many games where they get outplayed but almost win, zero rushing, late they were down 200 yds in total offense.. yet NC take penalties and turns it over 5 times to keep them in the game. the TO and special teams plays they generate are really how they win any big game. coaching has to be some of that..

Rutgers plays agressively on Defense and it keeps them in the game... I watched most of the game and they were constantly jumping routes, and just about every single tackle they were chopping the ball to rip it out of the ball carriers hand. The 5 turnovers by NC were FORCED turnovers, not giveaways.

Their offense should be better due to talent at the skill positions, but I still think that Chas Dodd is undersized (too short) and this hurts his ability to see and throw over the line. During the NC game there were quite a few balls batted down at the LOS. Rutgers is forced to throw the ball to the outside (short gains) and down the field (low percentage passing) to make completions. This does make the game plan more simple for the defense defending against them. I think aside from the OL still struggling, the limitations of their offense makes it hard for them to move the ball.

"What is up with RU and UConn having rush hour replays of their football games on SNY while none of our games get this treatment?"

I saw that as well and wondered what about 'Cuse? SNY seems to give special treatment to Rutgers it seems especially.

Both Rutgirls and UConn signed deals with SNY to get Rush Hours...as you remember Cuse was the third school to join the party. If we become bowl eligible this year...hopefully they can rework this for 2012. Ofcourse, maybe SNY can't part with Beer Money. :noidea:

the TO and special teams plays they generate are really how they win any big game. coaching has to be some of that..

I'm sorry - but when does Rutgers ever win a big game? Louisville in 2006 is the only one that comes to mind. Is that the big game(s) you're referring to?

Ouch. I just checked Toledo's schedule because I hoped they would travel to Boise State this weekend. Unfortunately, they play Boise State at home, and what's even worse- the game is on Friday night. Toledo will have no west coast trip to recover from, and they will have an extra day to recover while SU travels across the country.

I must say, that I'm surprised that RU isn't better. It seems that Schiano has recruited well over the past few years - he has talent.

This makes me sick but I think Rutgers wins 7 games this year. If you watched the UNC game they're close.

At this point, Toledo will have a field day throwing the ball against SU.

I think that this game against USC this weekend will say alot about our team, whether it be positive or negative.

I think ir Rutgers doesn't create some offense off the buy week they lose to Ohio.. If the UNC game is mistake free its a 40-7 game..

Rutgers suffered last year with a really young and inexperienced offensive line. They also had a young and inexperience offensive coordinator. The OC is gone, and now they have Cignetti. Unfortunately, they will be improved over last year. They played hard against UNC, but UNC made a lot of mistakes and probably should have pulled away early in that game. I was surprised with some poor tackling in the Rutgers secondary.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom