Random post ND thoughts..., | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Random post ND thoughts...,

In the first half Kadary was only ok. In the last ten minutes he played a lot faster and much more aggressive. At times, Kadary plays in slow motion. He has to attack. Better ball movement allows him to drive off better angles. If the offense is just standing around he’s less effective, as well as the rest of the team
In the first half, as in other games, he played like he was afraid of making a mistake and getting pulled. He overcompensates at times by slowing his play down. To me, that is not a Kadary issue. He needs to be fully turned loose and be allowed to play through the mistakes. There is really only one person who can "make" that happen.

ND lost this game about the 13-11 minute marks when they were up 58-41 and took three or four horrific shots giving us a chance to get it to 12 and then 8 really quickly. After that, we gained confidence and momentum. You just cannot take those shots and give us more possessions. It’s why we pressed. Just to change tempo.

kadary buddy and Bras really got the momentum changed, and then Marek got rolling. We were pretty efficient that half.

Odd to see the first kudos from JB go to Q for his effort. It’s like he was going out of his way to not mention Buddy...but all those stops don’t mean anything if Buddy doesn’t catch fire. He played great.

How many Freshman point guards back out that 2-on-1 up 8 with about 1:30 left in the game? Richmond is a very very smart player. Seriously thinks the game like Sherman.

that’s twice this year that Girard has failed to get back on defense and chose to complain to refs. Cannot do that. This isn’t high school and you’re not Michael Jordan.

kadary has to play...he makes others better, including the coach’s son. I’d like to see him play more. But JB seems to be more than happy to play him 15 minutes in the second halves...progress.

wish we could get a road win. Losing twice to Pitt is a killer.

Oh, and Quincy hasn’t lost confidence, it’s just that teams have figured out he is very uncomfortable if you take his right away. They are waaay overplaying him.
This is such a good post I wish I could like it more than once. One thing I see a bit differently is I do not think ND taking bad shots lost this game, rather JB FINALLY made a change with Kadary, Braswell and the press. That totally rattled the over confident ND players and Brey. All of a sudden the 5 Syracuse players on the floor were playing together not one on one. They all did their job, actually did it very well. This is not meant to condemn Joe and Griffin but rather to recognize adjustments were needed. No, I do not for one second believe ND lost this game but rather a better Syracuse team adjusted and won the game.

The thing I loved the most about the 2nd half is that Griffin and Joe were our number one cheerleaders. No pouting. My son even said to me, do you see them, they aren’t sitting down, they are standing the whole time going crazy! That’s the sign of a close team! Knowing if your off today and someone comes in and picks it up, next man up! LGO! I hope this is the turning point of the season, if we play like we did in the 2nd half we will be very hard to beat!

Boeheim doesn't like to talk about Buddy when he plays poorly or when he plays well. I can only imagine how Buddy would look if we had a typical Syracuse team with bookend NBA-type forwards and a creative point guard.
When is the last time we had a typical Syracuse team? And if we aren't having them anymore, can they be typical?

In the first half, as in other games, he played like he was afraid of making a mistake and getting pulled. He overcompensates at times by slowing his play down. To me, that is not a Kadary issue. He needs to be fully turned loose and be allowed to play through the mistakes. There is really only one person who can "make" that happen.
BINGO! Spot on

Exactly this. Even a couple times he got to the top of the paint in the 2nd half, with no one guarding him, and he got caught trying to decide. He's over thinking between what coach wants or doesn't want him to do and what's natural. Being that open is natural to want to shoot. I was yelling for him to just play ball like he's back in Brooklyn on an outdoor court. When he does that he excels.

Exactly this. Even a couple times he got to the top of the paint in the 2nd half, with no one guarding him, and he got caught trying to decide. He's over thinking between what coach wants or doesn't want him to do and what's natural. Being that open is natural to want to shoot. I was yelling for him to just play ball like he's back in Brooklyn on an outdoor court. When he does that he excels.
Yep...hes incredible in some of his old highlights of playing street ball and being creative/making things happen. Hes been very tentative in his play...he will get even better when JB gives him the keys in my opinion.

Yep...hes incredible in some of his old highlights of playing street ball and being creative/making things happen. Hes been very tentative in his play...he will get even better when JB gives him the keys in my opinion.
Yep and there is also part of the game that a freshman does have to restructure to the college game. It's just called learning which will cause a player to have split second delays when thinking. Once he smooths those moments out and it becomes natural, look out.

But don’t you understand that he is forced to play that way? He is not allowed to take and miss that shot. If he did what was natural and played like he was back home on an outdoor court...he’s sitting. And as far as slowing his game down...his game right now is breaking his man down,getting into the lane and either dropping in a short shot or feeding it to somebody he created space for. It might look slow but it is calculated and effective.

But don’t you understand that he is forced to play that way? He is not allowed to take and miss that shot. If he did what was natural and played like he was back home on an outdoor court...he’s sitting. And as far as slowing his game down...his game right now is breaking his man down,getting into the lane and either dropping in a short shot or feeding it to somebody he created space for. It might look slow but it is calculated and effective.
Yes, I think I said that. There's a balance of what he can do naturally and what he's supposed to do. Also I didn't think I said anything about his game being slow. I look at his game like a switch, he can look slow one second and the next he goes by his guy or jumps the lane for a steal. I think it's more deliberate and his style of play. Like Cusesky said he'll get the keys and a longer leash when he keeps doing what JB wants, and he'll be fine.

Only watche the 2nd half but the defense was a weapon for the first time this season.

Pressing should happen more ...every game...not just when the sky is falling. and with Kr, Bras and maybe woody out there...going athletic and pressing is a dangerous option for this squad...needs to happen more.

I hope this is a precursor to what might happen vs more athletic teams like UNC or FLA st or even UVA (who needs to get pressed)

If you look back over the years, our shooters have traditionally lit up ND’s marginal perimeter defense. GMAC, Rautins. DNic...I think each have had huge success. No surprise Buddy went off.
Your posts and a couple of the comments in other threads have me wondering: Is Brey on the hot seat?

He’s something like 27-43 in conference over the past 4 seasons. They’ve struggled to get highly rated recruits over the past few years and there’s not much reason for optimism as most of their current players don’t look like high impact players.

If you look back over the years, our shooters have traditionally lit up ND’s marginal perimeter defense. GMAC, Rautins. DNic...I think each have had huge success. No surprise Buddy went off.

Cooney too. Had some of his biggest scoring games vs. them.

BJ Johnson had his Orange career-best game in a win over ND.

Your posts and a couple of the comments in other threads have me wondering: Is Brey on the hot seat?

He’s something like 27-43 in conference over the past 4 seasons. They’ve struggled to get highly rated recruits over the past few years and there’s not much reason for optimism as most of their current players don’t look like high impact players.

Brey is starting to get heat if you read the Notre Dame fan boards. Apparently he has 4 years left on his contract. I do think the team he has no is underperforming relative to their talent level though. He has a bunch of top 100 HS players on that team(durham/hubb/ryan/the polish kid). His teams have always been bad at defense. You would have thought by now he would have brought someone in to help him there.

Beggin' for a piece of that bubble

Cause in the Tourney Cuse is nothing but Trouble.
This really deserves its own thread. Who is going to take first crack (pun intended) at it?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom