Random thought about priorities... | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Random thought about priorities...

Netflix, Hulu, Disney, Fios w/HBO and Showtime and the sports package, Prime, Paramount+, Spotify, WaPo. I'm sure there are a few I'm forgetting. How many subscriptions are we expected to buy?

Plus if I can help it, I'm not giving a dollar to the Times.

Netflix, Hulu, Disney, Fios w/HBO and Showtime and the sports package, Prime, Paramount+, Spotify, WaPo. I'm sure there are a few I'm forgetting. How many subscriptions are we expected to buy?

You can buy a subscription to help you cut down the number of subscriptions you have.

Netflix, Hulu, Disney, Fios w/HBO and Showtime and the sports package, Brazzers, Prime, Paramount+, Spotify, WaPo. I'm sure there are a few I'm forgetting. How many subscriptions are we expected to buy?

??????????

I'm puzzled by people who complain they can't read articles from subscription sites like The Athletic (which costs $6/month), but who frequently brag about how much alcohol they consume. One fewer drink per month could pay for a subscription. BTW, I have no vested interest in The Athletic (or in temperance), but I find the Athletic's coverage of all sports to be excellent.
The two items are not the same.
We're in a world where most 'information' can be had for no cost. When suddenly it does cost, you're confronted with a choice, and people take the path of least resistance.

Consider context and alternate perspectives instead of simplifying everything.

I'm much the same way, except not with alcohol. I'll spend a ton on music equipment, for example, but i'm just not going to pay for another subscription to any kind of service i don't absolutely need. I'm sick of subscription models, so, No—if i come across an article i have tepid interest in in a web forum once every week or two, i'm not going to scramble to reach for my credit card.

AppleTV+: $5
Amazon Music: $6.60
Amazon Prime: $11.50
Bloomberg: $17
Disney+: $8
HBO Max: Free w/ DirecTV & AT&T Wireless
Hulu (no ads): $13
MLB.TV (NYY): $10
Netflix (4K): $20
OnlyFans (JAB): $4.44
Showtime: $11
SiriusXM (All-Access): $23

Total: $129.54

Yikes.

On the flip side, if you all canceled all of the subscriptions that you either barely use, or that keep you on your couch glued to the TV all the time - just think about how much more alcohol you’d be able to buy!

No don't do that. If you all didn't have reasons to remain glued to your couches, you'd probably be out looking for work and the unemployment numbers would go through the roof again.

I’ll send you my link.
Serious question—why do you need to subscribe to OF when so much of that stuff is available on various other sites for free?

I'm puzzled by people who complain they can't read articles from subscription sites like The Athletic (which costs $6/month), but who frequently brag about how much alcohol they consume. One fewer drink per month could pay for a subscription. BTW, I have no vested interest in The Athletic (or in temperance), but I find the Athletic's coverage of all sports to be excellent.
You blaspheme!!!

AppleTV+: $5
Amazon Music: $6.60
Amazon Prime: $11.50
Bloomberg: $17
Disney+: $8
HBO Max: Free w/ DirecTV & AT&T Wireless
Hulu (no ads): $13
MLB.TV (NYY): $10
Netflix (4K): $20
OnlyFans (JAB): $4.44
Showtime: $11
SiriusXM (All-Access): $23

Total: $129.54

Yikes.
You forgot Brazzers.

Exactly. And why am I paying for both? Hmm...

That is one of the problems; there are so many voices asking you to pay for their perspectives.

Some of those are annoying, like New York magazine for instance. We've subscribed to the magazine for years and years, and they make it nearly impossible to try to use your magazine subscription to access their online content. Pisses me off.

But we do need to support journalism. It's just that there are so many people looking for subscribers. I can't buy them all.