Random thought re: bowls | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Random thought re: bowls

that would be like a Pam Anderson v Jenny McCarthy No Holds Barred Bikini Beach Match.

While it’s no longer the 90s, and 2/3s of the country would have zero interest...the third that did wouldn’t miss it and it would get boffo ratings.

Wow. That is just a phenomenal post.

In 1995, there were 18 bowl games, and I am confident I could name every one off the top of my head if you gave me like 10 minutes to think about it. I feel like the most obscure one was maybe the Las Vegas Bowl. They were all relatively intuitive, and they all had non-goofy names.

There was a very clear three-tier hierarchy. You had your BCS level games at the top, you had your mid-level games like the Gator and Holiday in the middle, and your lower tier games like Liberty and Independence.

Today: the Raycom Media Camellia Bowl? The Cheribundi Tart Cherry Boca Raton Bowl? The Bad Boy Mowers Gasparilla Bowl? The Autonation Cure Bowl? These things are to bowl games when our current SU football uniforms are to tasteful fashion.

Its beyond absurd, 6-6 Mac teams don't belong in bowl games, some of these games are just unwatchable, and this is coming from a guy who watches 16 hours of football a weekend.

Is there any number of bowl games added where you would say "ya know what, this is just too much." Like if 4-8 teams started getting invited, for instance.
Nope!! Because if two 4-8 teams are in a bowl game I won't watch. But that doesn't mean a stadium/city/sponsor/TV Network who wants to put on the game doesn't have the right too. Let them hold a game and if two 4-8 teams go that's fine, it it makes all parties money and draws a TV rating then who are any of us to judge. If it loses money, well the 4-8 teams in bowl games probably won't be around long. I ain't watching two 4-8 teams play, but if people will so be it.

And lets be honest if Syracuse goes to a bowl at 4-8 half the fans on this site would travel to the game and the other half would take the day off from work to watch it and throw a party around the game.

I have like 500 TV channels, are there too many? YES!! I just don't watch 90% of them...I am not whining and throwing a fit that the cable company get rid of them. Just like the bowl games, ...I ain't watching all of them. But that doesn't mean they don't have the right to exist. I really don't get the uproar from people like you over this. IF you think there are too many that's fine. Pinpoint the 5 or 6 or however many games interest you and just watch those. What's the issue? Nobody is forcing you to watch the rest.

Nope!! Because if two 4-8 teams are in a bowl game I won't watch. But that doesn't mean a stadium/city/sponsor/TV Network who wants to put on the game doesn't have the right too. Let them hold a game and if two 4-8 teams go that's fine, it it makes all parties money and draws a TV rating then who are any of us to judge. If it loses money, well the 4-8 teams in bowl games probably won't be around long. I ain't watching two 4-8 teams play, but if people will so be it.

And lets be honest if Syracuse goes to a bowl at 4-8 half the fans on this site would travel to the game and the other half would take the day off from work to watch it and throw a party around the game.

I have like 500 TV channels, are there too many? YES!! I just don't watch 90% of them...I am not whining and throwing a fit that the cable company get rid of them. Just like the bowl games, ...I ain't watching all of them. But that doesn't mean they don't have the right to exist. I really don't get the uproar from people like you over this. IF you think there are too many that's fine. Pinpoint the 5 or 6 or however many games interest you and just watch those. What's the issue? Nobody is forcing you to watch the rest.

The issue is teams selected to bowl games get extra practice time that non bowl teams do not get. If 4-8 teams start getting bowl games because they will make more money than 6-6 teams from lesser conferences we have a major problem.

The NCAA has no control over who is selected for bowl games yet NCAA rules dictate if you get the extra practice time.

Let all teams get the post season practice and then I don’t care who bowls pick or if many bowls die because teams find it not worth the payout. The current system is broken and unfair.

The issue is teams selected to bowl games get extra practice time that non bowl teams do not get. If 4-8 teams start getting bowl games because they will make more money than 6-6 teams from lesser conferences we have a major problem.

The NCAA has no control over who is selected for bowl games yet NCAA rules dictate if you get the extra practice time.

Let all teams get the post season practice and then I don’t care who bowls pick or if many bowls die because teams find it not worth the payout. The current system is broken and unfair.
That's a different argument and you are right. But the fact we need to get rid of bowl games because some fans "think" or "feel" there are too many is silly

That's a different argument and you are right. But the fact we need to get rid of bowl games because some fans "think" or "feel" there are too many is silly

College football is my favorite sport, and I don't like it's postseason to be watered down. It's similar to me not wanting the NCAA Tournament to be expanded past 64 teams.

College football is my favorite sport, and I don't like it's postseason to be watered down. It's similar to me not wanting the NCAA Tournament to be expanded past 64 teams.

Bowls used to bother me but not anymore. I just don't watch if I don't care.

Totally agree about expanding the NCAA though. It's perfect the way it is.

The kids and many fans enjoy them.

I mean, of course they enjoy them. It's a reward for having a good season. That's why you play games in the regular season in a competitive sport.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseVegas

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom