Rank Your Favorite Vintage SU Logos | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Rank Your Favorite Vintage SU Logos

3 is my favorite. I like 4 but don't actually remember seeing it. It not that I don't like 7, it just kind of busy and doesn't do anything for me. I'll take 9 as the best of the rest.

I love 7 and 5. But where were these??
53903062-9AC0-44AB-9E63-540525C14414.png
5CEC11E6-B523-479B-BC29-1B84860628BD.png
D8A29AFA-EDB8-491C-8B5A-8FC9A6B45AF9.jpeg

I like the recent movement away from referring to the teams as "SU". I prefer the simplicity of the brand being "Syracuse." It also feels like the teams represent the larger community, not just the university. My father always referred to them as "Syracuse," so I guess I adopted that. I don't think I've ever uttered "S-U." Occasionally, if I am feeling playful, I will say "Cuse."

6 the most modern of all but the radaii need to be improved as well as the entire S

7 This is just a script Syracuse from a font someone picked out of a book

9 eh- at least the round basketball leads your eye into the logo

IMO the block S we are using now looks like we should be living in the 1800's very "old"

9 (NC logo, natch), 7, 8 (love the block S), 3 (just for the sake of nostalgia).

All the rest are junk, IMO. Especially 6, which I refer to as the Graphic Disaster™. Here's another version of that:
View attachment 180837

1589053212300.png

This, my friend, is a work of art.
Simplistic in its appeal, yet oh so discerning in its vibrant structure.
I say, “peshaw” and “harrumph” to your obvious lack of artistic appreciation!

Oh and... #7 works for me as well. JMHO

Last edited:
View attachment 181018

This, my friend, is a work of art.
Simplistic in its appeal, yet oh so discerning in its vibrant structure.
I say, “peshaw” and “harrumph” to your obvious lack of artistic appreciation!

Oh and... #7 works for me as well. JMHO
DoctorBombay: Agreed. I have been designing logos, short for any company or institutional identity after graduating from SUID, for companies / corporations both large and small.
This is the most up to date mark/logo "S" of any of the 9. If you are familiar with the York Peppermint Pattie logo on the silver reflective package, yours truly designed the logo and recommended the silver package a long time ago plus my other 15 minutes of fame is the Browning Fire Arms "stag" logo with the doe taking up the negative space.

One thing I have a question about, and I do not know whose design this is, but why is there a small toe in the upper part of the design? I would have repeated the same shape as the bottom.
Clearly though we are looking at a logo that belongs in this century not the 1870 block college S we utilize now. I think Miami has done a very good job promoting their U. It's up to date and easy to like.
The only thing is if you ask someone which one is their favorite, (judging a logo is so subjective in this situation you will get a different answer almost every time.)

I would not use a script logotype like #7. You put it on a helmet and it becomes minor and too hard to read.
If you'd like some education on what draws a person's eye to a mark, abstract symbol, etc. remember the Japanese zero? The red circle will draw the eye right to it. Target is another. Mastercard. So anything that is a circle with the negative space a letter or whatever the designer has done is going to be more effective than anything else. Of course many, many will disagree with me due to this being a universities web site but you have to expect that here.

If you are working with a small, medium, large company or very, large corporation or airline you have at most two people in the room besides you. people who are the decision makers. The president and vice president maybe the vp of marketing. The way logos are decided is they are relying on your expertise and experience. There is a criteria to be met for each individual company for their specific requirements and audience so you better immerse yourself in what they do, what they are looking for and give them perhaps three to four final designs after a month or two or three of research and creativity. (In certain situations you may have the answer sketching in the initial background meeting before any work is begun.)

Hopefully you will all agree on the one you take into the final meeting that you know is your recommendation - the rest, although good alternatives are there for backup. Also, you are getting paid a very large sum of money for the development of the monogram, logomark mark, letter, logo - whatever and they are depending on you to arrive at the best possible answer for them to have their customers, in the case of a retailer, who will see it on their stores, trucks, advertising media, down to letterhead envelope and business card and remember it. It is the companies distinct, identity that you are creating for years to come so you better get it right.

Some of the best corporate identities which is the formal name for "logo" IMO are the ones that have endured for decades. The work of Paul Rand is one designer:. UPS, IBM, GE, ABC, Paula Scher: FEDEX, Windows, Citibank, CNN, Saul Bass: Bell Telephone, AT&T, Dixie, United Airlines, Girl Scouts, Sagi Haviv: Chase, Mobil, Showtime, Animal Planet, National Geographic.

I think that people believe most high major college identities are defined by an older looking block letter. Designed way back and it never changes - there are so many. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RedSoxNat

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom