Ranking the Nation's Deepest Teams | Syracusefan.com

Ranking the Nation's Deepest Teams

OrangeTown

Starter
ESPN Insider article - SU #9. I've only included the clip referring to SU.

http://insider.espn.go.com/blog/jeff-goodman/post?id=1415

9. Syracuse Orange
183.gif
The Orange are loaded up front. Jim Boeheim returns leading scorer C.J. Fair and big men Rakeem Christmas, DaJuan Coleman and Baye Keita. He also has Jerami Grant and freshman Tyler Roberson, who will likely be the ninth man in the rotation. The backcourt isn’t all that deep, but features freshman point guard Tyler Ennis and wings Trevor Cooney and Duke transfer Michael Gbinije. That’s a quality nine-man rotation.

Our depth is not balanced. We have no proven backcourt players nevermind proven backup backcourt players. I am as high on Tyler as anybody else, but he is still a frosh & needs to prove he can play as the ACC level effectively. We have no legitimate backup PG. We have no proven 2G, never mind a legit starter and a proven backup.

So, anyways, I do not know the depth on other rosters, but in my mind our proven depth is limited to the frontcourt and it may well be that other teams have more balanced overall depth.

There are 8 deeper teams?

For what it's worth, here is the order:

1 - Kansas
2 - Louisville
3 - Florida
4 - Duke
5 - Virginia
6 - Harvard
7 - St. John's
8 - SMU
9 - Cuse
10 - Notre Dame
11 - Kensucky
12 - Villanova

Edit: Also keep in mind that the article says nothing about B.J., who most of us are in agreement in that he has the talent to do some great things, but just might not have the opportunity this year, and is a bit under the radar outside of our more hardcore circle of fans here.

1 - Kansas
2 - Louisville
3 - Florida
4 - Duke
5 - Virginia
6 - Harvard
7 - St. John's
8 - SMU
9 - Cuse
10 - Notre Dame
11 - Kensucky
12 - Villanova
Really??? People paid money to read that???

Really??? People paid money to read that???

Hah! I paid money to get the magazine and some of the fantasy football insider stuff.

A lot of the crappy other insider articles are just an extra bonus, I guess. :)

Hah! I paid money to get the magazine and some of the fantasy football insider stuff.

A lot of the crappy other insider articles are just an extra bonus, I guess. :)
Of course I wasn't referring to you and your hard earned money;).

What's funny about the insider articles that you can find that online somewhere if you really want to read them. But ESPN makes a big thing about them, and I am sure a bunch of money off them. Sort of like our payside. Although I did like to get the free magazines that came with the payside.

Our depth is not balanced. We have no proven backcourt players nevermind proven backup backcourt players. I am as high on Tyler as anybody else, but he is still a frosh & needs to prove he can play as the ACC level effectively. We have no legitimate backup PG. We have no proven 2G, never mind a legit starter and a proven backup.

So, anyways, I do not know the depth on other rosters, but in my mind our proven depth is limited to the frontcourt and it may well be that other teams have more balanced overall depth.

Correct.

Exactly. To us Syracuse fans that closely follow the program, we see depth. We see returning players that we expect to improve and new faces that can step right into and contribute. Fans less "close" to the team probably look at this years squad and see a lot of unproven parts.

1 - Kansas
2 - Louisville
3 - Florida
4 - Duke
5 - Virginia
6 - Harvard
7 - St. John's
8 - SMU
9 - Cuse
10 - Notre Dame
11 - Kensucky
12 - Villanova

Edit: Also keep in mind that the article says nothing about B.J., who most of us are in agreement in that he has the talent to do some great things, but just might not have the opportunity this year, and is a bit under the radar outside of our more hardcore circle of fans here.

FWIW, I'll put our depth up against Virginia, Harvard, St. John's and SMU any day of the week. Depth can be overrated. It's good to have, and almost a must these days, but to compare Harvard's depth to SU's depth is apples and Oranges. And what has St. John's depth proved? They're only deep this year because everyone is healthy and eligible. They have very little in the way of experience.

The fact that UK is so low on this list tells me they factored experience in here somewhere, but that doesn't explain KU being at the top. They have to be there because of the Wiggins hype machine. Young, no college experience, but a phenomenal player. I hate UK as much as the rest, but if depth is the measuring stick, they have as much as anyone. They may be lacking in experience, but it's depth that most teams can't match talent wise.

I'll chalk this up to another 5 minutes of my life lost on a befuddling article.

It's just a meaningless pre-season ranking article that gets hits. How deep a team is is such a vague thing anyway.

But these lists sure do get people riled up

Anyone who can't recognize we are largely unproven needs to take off dem orange shades.
same as everyone on this list though, but I agree with you

Exactly. To us Syracuse fans that closely follow the program, we see depth. We see returning players that we expect to improve and new faces that can step right into and contribute. Fans less "close" to the team probably look at this years squad and see a lot of unproven parts.
I think it goes the other way actually. If you asked me if some random power in college hoops has a deep team this year, let's use Michigan State as an example, my answer is yes. I can't name anyone on their roster.

ESPN Insider article - SU #9. I've only included the clip referring to SU.

http://insider.espn.go.com/blog/jeff-goodman/post?id=1415

9. Syracuse Orange
183.gif
The Orange are loaded up front. Jim Boeheim returns leading scorer C.J. Fair and big men Rakeem Christmas, DaJuan Coleman and Baye Keita. He also has Jerami Grant and freshman Tyler Roberson, who will likely be the ninth man in the rotation. The backcourt isn’t all that deep, but features freshman point guard Tyler Ennis and wings Trevor Cooney and Duke transfer Michael Gbinije. That’s a quality nine-man rotation.

the only clip that matters

I think it goes the other way actually. If you asked me if some random power in college hoops has a deep team this year, let's use Michigan State as an example, my answer is yes. I can't name anyone on their roster.

Really? They will have one of the best backcourts. Keith Appling/Gary Harris (sidelined for a few weeks). These guys are high caliber guards.

Really? They will have one of the best backcourts. Keith Appling/Gary Harris (sidelined for a few weeks). These guys are high caliber guards.
Yep, big college hoops fan, but I don't know anyone on anybody else's roster. Ask me if they're good though, and the quick and dirty rule tells me I say yes.

Yep, big college hoops fan, but I don't know anyone on anybody else's roster. Ask me if they're good though, and the quick and dirty rule tells me I say yes.

I'd say ask Marsh01 what he thinks. He probably has the greatest amount of viewing time on college hoops. I'm sure he would be able to put together a better list than most.

I'd say ask Marsh01 what he thinks. He probably has the greatest amount of viewing time on college hoops. I'm sure he would be able to put together a better list than most.

I think the list is fair. Take out Harvard and SMU and possibly Virginia (although they will be good). They may have a lot of "returning bodies" but that doesnt mean you are a deep team. As someone mentioned above we have some unproven holes we need to fill. PG, SG, C. We have the bodies and the POTENTIAL talent to be one of the deepest teams in the country but I think a lot of this he is basing on proven vs unproven. We have a very experienced team which I think people are confusing this list with.

Cant argue with the top few teams he listed.

I think the list is fair. Take out Harvard and SMU and possibly Virginia (although they will be good). They may have a lot of "returning bodies" but that doesnt mean you are a deep team. As someone mentioned above we have some unproven holes we need to fill. PG, SG, C. We have the bodies and the POTENTIAL talent to be one of the deepest teams in the country but I think a lot of this he is basing on proven vs unproven. We have a very experienced team which I think people are confusing this list with.

Cant argue with the top few teams he listed.
I have a problem with Kansas. If I remember correctly, they lost their entire starting 5 from last year. They had 4 seniors and McLemore.