Ranking the NCAA Champs | Syracusefan.com

Ranking the NCAA Champs

a

• b

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • c

Votes: 1 100.0%

• Total voters
28 seems pretty good to me, I'll definitely take that.

28 seems pretty good to me, I'll definitely take that.

I agree - I thought that was pretty fair myself.. just hated seeing the GTOWN team all the way at the top... mehhh

http://espn.go.com/ncb/feature/video/_/page/Top75players/ncaa-75-college-basketball

Ok so I can make sense of the teams but Laettner and Hurley both rated ahead of Melo... ehh but its not just Melo - some other really big names they are rated above... I question that.

I guess it depends on how you are ranking it, but I feel like you have to rank Laettner above Melo as an NCAA tournament player. Laettner played 4 years, made 4 final fours, won 2 titles and played one of the best games in NCAA tournament history. He's one of the most productive players in the history of the tournament.

Hurley, maybe not as much. But it's gotta be tough to weigh a guy who played one tournament vs a guy who played four.

I guess it depends on how you are ranking it, but I feel like you have to rank Laettner above Melo as an NCAA tournament player. Laettner played 4 years, made 4 final fours, won 2 titles and played one of the best games in NCAA tournament history. He's one of the most productive players in the history of the tournament.

Hurley, maybe not as much. But it's gotta be tough to weigh a guy who played one tournament vs a guy who played four.

I can see laettner.. Hurley - I don't know if he should be that high. And even if he should - how you can't put GMAC in the top 75 for the outburst in the first half of the title game, the explosion against BYU... even if he is # 74 or 75.. bewilders me a bit. Gerry did play in less NCAA games than Hurley but he was damn good in the games he was healthy ( besides TAM of course). I do see your point though..

And Carmelo the 23rd best player in NCAA Tournament history. Honestly, much higher than I thought he'd be once I started flipping through the first 50 or so and seeing some pretty impressive names in there (Michael Jordan #57!?).

http://espn.go.com/ncb/feature/video/_/page/Top75players/ncaa-75-college-basketball[/quote]

See 3 posts above ;).. I think Melo is up there pretty far .. my only issue was with Hurley.. and of course the damn hoya ranked in the top 10.. didn't know the illiterate could qualify

I'm sorry, I must have been distracted by your avatar featuring Jennifer Love Boobett.

I'm sorry, I must have been distracted by your avatar featuring Jennifer Love Boobett.

it happens.. no need to apologize.. she has that effect..

Since Laettner has already been brought up, there's another player, as much as I hate him, who I'm a little surprised Melo is ranked ahead of - Joakim Noah. Some guys are just NCAA legends, and as much as I hate Noah, he's awfully close to garnering that title. I would not have been the least bit surprised or upset to see him ranked ahead of Carmelo in terms of the best NCAA Tourney players ever, just because of what he did over several years, and winning multiple titles.

And I hate Laettner, but he's one of the greatest college basketball players of all-time. I was a little surprised Grant Hill wasn't ranked a big higher.

I can see laettner.. Hurley - I don't know if he should be that high. And even if he should - how you can't put GMAC in the top 75 for the outburst in the first half of the title game, the explosion against BYU... even if he is # 74 or 75.. bewilders me a bit. Gerry did play in less NCAA games than Hurley but he was damn good in the games he was healthy ( besides TAM of course). I do see your point though..

Hurley was in three final fours, and won two National Championships. In 92’ he was the MOP of the final four and the entire tournament.

GMAC was in one final four, and won one National Championship.

I love GMAC, but dropping 43 on BYU doesn’t cover two extra final fours and one extra NC win.

Hurley was in three final fours, and won two National Championships. In 92’ he was the MOP of the final four and the entire tournament.

GMAC was in one final four, and won one National Championship.

I love GMAC, but dropping 43 on BYU doesn’t cover two extra final fours and one extra NC win.

re read my post was not saying gmac is better than hurley only that he belongs in the conversation at the end of the list... hurley was playing alongside some serious talent.. much more than gerry ... just saying... laettner i get ... hurley has the pedigree.. i would put him around #30.. melo probably more like # 28... and put gerry in the convo for number 75

Saw this on ESPN - SU at # 28...

http://espn.go.com/ncb/feature/video/_/page/Top75champions/ncaa-75-college-basketball

Puke alert Warning - GTown's title team ranked # 7 - UK of last season # 16

What's crazy is how easily Georgetown could have won three titles in the early 80s. If MJ doesn't make that jumper in 82 (and then the mind-boggling turnover on the final possession) and if Villanova literally doesn't play the most perfect game ever, the Hoyas cut down the nets in '82, '84 and '85.

What's crazy is how easily Georgetown could have won three titles in the early 80s. If MJ doesn't make that jumper in 82 (and then the mind-boggling turnover on the final possession) and if Villanova literally doesn't play the most perfect game ever, the Hoyas cut down the nets in '82, '84 and '85.

very true and a scary thought.. as if that tiny fan base needed a bigger ego..

Last year's UK team should be higher.