Ranking the NCAA Tournament coaches by playing career, 1-68 | Syracusefan.com

Ranking the NCAA Tournament coaches by playing career, 1-68

Some hilarious lines in there...

37. Tom Izzo, Michigan State -- Though college-years bios on Izzo tend to focus solely on his bromance with Steve Mariucci, Izzo was a player of note at Division II Northern Michigan, earning All-America honors and serving as team captain as a senior.

27. Jay Wright, Villanova -- Wright was Bucknell's leading scorer as a junior, but came off the bench as a senior after being supplanted by eventual Bison star Jaye Andrews ("I was a jerk about it," Wright has regretfully said of his reaction to the benching.).

21. Fran McCaffery, Iowa -- McCaffery (aka "White Magic" according to his official bio) played one season as a part-time starting point guard at Wake Forest (1977-78) before transferring to Penn for his final three collegiate seasons. He subsequently led Penn to two NCAA appearances and an NIT berth.

16. Jim Boeheim, Syracuse -- Boeheim evolved from a freshman walk-on at Syracuse to a team captain, one who helped the Orange all the way to the Elite Eight in his senior season of 1965-66. Boeheim subsequently played a couple of professional seasons with the Scranton Miners of the ABL, as unlikely as it might seem that Jim Boeheim made money playing basketball.

Some hilarious lines in there...

37. Tom Izzo, Michigan State -- Though college-years bios on Izzo tend to focus solely on his bromance with Steve Mariucci, Izzo was a player of note at Division II Northern Michigan, earning All-America honors and serving as team captain as a senior.

27. Jay Wright, Villanova -- Wright was Bucknell's leading scorer as a junior, but came off the bench as a senior after being supplanted by eventual Bison star Jaye Andrews ("I was a jerk about it," Wright has regretfully said of his reaction to the benching.).

21. Fran McCaffery, Iowa -- McCaffery (aka "White Magic" according to his official bio) played one season as a part-time starting point guard at Wake Forest (1977-78) before transferring to Penn for his final three collegiate seasons. He subsequently led Penn to two NCAA appearances and an NIT berth.

16. Jim Boeheim, Syracuse -- Boeheim evolved from a freshman walk-on at Syracuse to a team captain, one who helped the Orange all the way to the Elite Eight in his senior season of 1965-66. Boeheim subsequently played a couple of professional seasons with the Scranton Miners of the ABL, as unlikely as it might seem that Jim Boeheim made money playing basketball.
That last line made me literally laugh out load.:rolling:

The Westesrn Michigan coach is sure an up-by-the-bootstraps guy.

That's something I haven't seen before. Pretty cool read. Jay Wright says stuff like that and you remember why he's so likeable. Easy to just kind of forget about the times in your life when you were a jack arse about something gotta give him credit for calling it what it was.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laxmom2317

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom