Rant | Syracusefan.com

Rant

javadoc

All American
There may be some profanity in this.

In part one of Will Durant's landmark "Story of Civilization" series, in Chapter One, he remarks,
"... For civilization is not something inborn or imperishable; it must be acquired anew by every generation, and any serious interruption in its financing or its transmission may bring it to an end." This follows a litany of causes that brought down notable civilizations.

The game has changed in college athletics. A round of musical chairs is underway, and if you don't get a chair, you are done. Football revenue drives the bus. Title IX binds you to financial commitments. If you don't get a chair, through football, you are done. Basketball is an irrelevant distraction, a "nice to have."

As a program, we are not in a strong fundamental position. We are a private school. We are fighting an uphill - but regrettably necessary - battle to claim our rightful spot as New York's representative to major college athletics. We are like a civilization without a solid foundation, lacking some essentials that others have. Cheap tuition, state-granted cache as an official, legal representative of said state, a local HS football base from which to draw the majority of a program. We are especially vulnerable to disruptions in the "financing" of our football civilization. We are a net importer of food and energy. Our value proposition has to be highly talented and productive people. We have done surprisingly well in that regard since the mid-80's.

Look at how fast it can decline. Shaw et. al.'s decisions in the 90's to raid the revenues from athletics would find a nice place in a summary of how civilizations fail. And look at the proximate conditions staring at us now.

No doubt P should have been given an ultimatum before he was finally fired. Instead, Dr. Gross is hired, and without any time to assess his new surroundings, P's firing is foisted upon him, and he needs to make a hire on instantaneous notice. Our program had been in constant and steady decline since McNabb left - I have the chart to prove it, simply in terms of win % vs. number of games played, it's actually scary - yet none of our "leaders" acted. Tack onto that a disastrous forced hire, when you don't have any leeway to buy your way out, and you see how quickly a civilization can collapse. We descended to a bottom-10 program in all of D-1A.

Marrone really has saved this program from death - but he hasn't saved the program in an absolute sense. We are still a fragile civilization on the edge of ruin. We have some depth, but not enough that we can replace anyone on the roster. We couldn't even field a competent replacement for Pugh at the start of this season. For how many positions on the team do you think we have real redundancy?

In year 2, the staff made chicken salad out of chicken . This year, they made chicken salad out of chicken salad. People say that Marrone hasn't really proven anything yet, and doesn't deserve an NFL job. HORSE . The job that he has done with an underpaid staff, recruiting at a disadvantage to every program he faces, is miraculous. "He's not a big name hire, who is going to be excited about him?" All the guy did is field the best freaking team in the Big East in year 4, after inheriting one of the worst 10 programs in D-1A college football. Walking uphill both ways.

So where are we now? In year 4 of churning the deadwood out of one of the worst 10 rosters in all of D-1A football, we finally reached a more-or-less full roster. Huge dividends in ways that don't manifest in terms of starters and minutes played. We have a staff with recruiting inroads and players that they have been tracking for multiple years. We have two good QB prospects verbally committed. We have a focus on NYC, and NYS, recruiting with guys who can walk the walk. We have buzz. The team looks damn good. We are about to join the ACC, with a HUGE infusion of annual revenue and better competition.

So, I ask, what the hell is the point of ponying up millions of dollars to get into the ACC early, if you are going to let your football program tumble into limbo by not locking up the god damned guy who made it respectable again, from the brink of collapse?

What's likely to happen now? Take a hard look at Marrone and see the writing. If you scare HIM off, who else is walking through that door? Look at our roster and depth. Decimate this recruiting class through uncertainty and change, and we are getting back into the depleted roster situation that plagued us from 2009 until this year. What happens to the NYC pipeline? What happens if Allen and Wilson decide to go elsewhere?

If Marrone decides to leave this weekend - a best case scenario should he get an offer he accepts - we have one month to hire a new coach and secure our recruiting class. Who are your candidates to come in on such terms? Seriously. Who is going to grin and sign when Marrone decided his dream job really wasn't his dream job anymore, because his dream no longer reflected reality?

We should be joyously celebrating our position now, and instead we are faced with disaster. Someone somewhere has failed failed failed. If you think otherwise, I want names and reasons. Not, "we'll be fine someone else will come in no prob." I want names of people who will come in now, in these circumstances, and succeed. Taking into account where we are as a program, in the context of what is happening around us.

I am generally a glass-more-than-half-full guy, but I think if Marrone bails now, in these circumstances, we are in the shitter. Our administration is at a -or-get-off-the-pot moment.

Pretty much.

Wish we could make our case the board of trustees. Wish we could even petition them or donate a small amount to show our commitment to this cause.

As an aside - i'd put on that the need to start a medical school or buy back SUNY Upstate. Science and medicine are the big career drivers right now. If SU is going to compete - they need a graduate school with medicine and research. In the ACC- Pittsburgh, UNC, Duke, Wake Forest, Miami, Florida State, UVA, Maryland /louisville all have medical schools.

But, back to football. We need to shake the BoT and make them understand our passion and the upsides of investing in football. A. Money B. Is national prestige. The University of Rochester is a fantastic school that you will find on every national rankings, but no one knows about it because it has no brand. Applicants go up when the athletics dept is doing well. C. Money and donations from successful alumni.

I know Judge Judy says 'Umm is not an answer' But all I can say is 'Umm'

As an aside - i'd put on that the need to start a medical school or buy back SUNY Upstate. Science and medicine are the big career drivers right now. If SU is going to compete - they need a graduate school with medicine and research. In the ACC- Pittsburgh, UNC, Duke, Wake Forest, Miami, Florida State, UVA, Maryland /louisville all have medical schools.

Sadly, think that ship (along with AAU) has sailed. I was giving her the benefit of the doubt, as these things take time, but now that Cantor is leaving I wonder What she accomplished at SU. I'd also love to know what the benefit of SUNY ESF (and I have a lot of ESF friends) is to SU? Seems one-sided.

Back to football (too)...boy in one day I go from high as a kite on SU's football future, to thinking maybe we should just drop football.

I think one thing people are forgetting is how great Doug interviews. He blew everyone away at SU. He will go into his NFL interviews and shock the search teams with his depth of knowledge about their organizations and the teams in their divisions. With backing from the New Orleans Saints owner Tom Benson, HC Sean Payton and Bill Parcell's he'll have some pretty successful folks behind him. Too bad that things couldn't have been mediated so that all parties involved were satisfied. Let's face it, Doug wouldn't be doing this if things were honky dory.

The corner had just been turned. One can only wonder what the future of our football program will be without someone like Doug at the helm.

Let's face it. SU doesn't get it and really they never have. It seems when it comes to athletics that they have never been progressive and have never made the right decisions.

Wow -- some people need to get a grip.
1. Credit to Doug Marrone that the NFL sees him as a potential head coach at this stage. It happens. Coach Mac got attention from the Patriots (likely wishes he turned them down). Even that tool in NJ got NFL attention for reviving Rutgers.
2. Timing is right for Doug. He rode Nassib, Lemon & Pugh -- next year, moving to the ACC with a new QB, will be a big challenge to match this season. Something to consider if Doug wants the NFL -- -.
3. If an NFL team decides that Doug is its guy, SU won't be able to match the offer. It will be up to Doug whether he wants to follow the Boeheim example, or move on for bigger $$$ and bigger risk.
4. SU will, of course, offer an extension and a raise. But it can't and won't offer NFL money. Again, up to Doug whether he wants the NFL $$$ and life with the Bills or Browns or whatever, if offered to him.
5. Will SU fall off the cliff? The two QB recruits and Provo cited Hackett as significant in their recruitment. The LB recruits like Morrison and Shafer. I would love to see Doug Marrone decide SU can make him happy, but give him some credit. The SU program is miles ahead as a program (and for attracting a replacement HC if necessary) because of the work Doug has done.

1. Credit to Doug Marrone that the NFL sees him as a potential head coach at this stage. It happens. Coach Mac got attention from the Patriots (likely wishes he turned them down). Even that tool in NJ got NFL attention for reviving Rutgers.
2. Timing is right for Doug. He rode Nassib, Lemon & Pugh -- next year, moving to the ACC with a new QB, will be a big challenge to match this season. Something to consider if Doug wants the NFL -- -.
3. If an NFL team decides that Doug is its guy, SU won't be able to match the offer. It will be up to Doug whether he wants to follow the Boeheim example, or move on for bigger $$$ and bigger risk.
4. SU will, of course, offer an extension and a raise. But it can't and won't offer NFL money. Again, up to Doug whether he wants the NFL $$$ and life with the Bills or Browns or whatever, if offered to him.
5. Will SU fall off the cliff? The two QB recruits and Provo cited Hackett as significant in their recruitment. The LB recruits like Morrison and Shafer. I would love to see Doug Marrone decide SU can make him happy, but give him some credit. The SU program is miles ahead as a program (and for attracting a replacement HC if necessary) because of the work Doug has done.

I think Javadoc's question is still unanswered. If Marrone leaves, who comes in and fills that void? Recruits have talked about other coaches when signing, if Marrone leaves there is a good chance those coaches won't be here either.

This is such a fragile area right now. If Marrone does in fact leave and SU fails to hire the right coach, the football program might essentially be lost for good. That might sounds stupid but it's a fight right now to get fans to the dome, what kind of fight would it be if we fall from where we've gotten to all the way back down to a terrible program again.

I'm personally not interested in following the team for the next ten years hoping to get to a sh!tty bowl game once in awhile, losing most of the games in the ACC, and just hoping that we surprise a good football team every once in awhile to make myself feel good.

1. It was never his plan to leave SU. The problems we are all discussing are the root cause. I don't think his success is a surprise to him. It was the plan from the start.
2. see #1
3. see #1
4. see #1
5. Until the problems are addressed, they will hinder development and keep turning over coaching staffs, which will hinder recruiting and start the ball rolling backwards. What I worry about most is having the football program regress and then being seen as a less than desirable member should conferences start shuffling again. A lot of people forget where we have been the last several years...

Well said OP. Its really shows a lack of understanding on the Universities part if they are not willing to go the lengths needed to field a major college football program. All anyone needs to do is look at the landscape of college athletics and what football means to the program, to the community, to the University itself. I find it shocking that the fanbase realizes this but the University has their collective head buried in the sand.

Let's face it. SU doesn't get it and really they never have. It seems when it comes to athletics that they have never been progressive and have never made the right decisions.
Here we go again with another great use of absolutes by a poster.

Here' something for you to consider:
dome_1.jpg

Good post...and follow-ups. I will just say that moving to the ACC...and paying an early exit fee from the BE said one thing...but the seemingly lack of initiative for building a practice facility and/or keeping Doug...go against the reasoning of moving to the ACC early...and you cannot 2X-4X increase your TV revenue and not expect to spend any of it on football...which is reason for 80% of contract.
Realignment is not done...if 'Cuse wants a final resting place with big-time universities...and the ACC may be that place...but if not a sliding football program will not be wanted by other conferences particularly when our media households are not that large.

In part one of Will Durant's landmark "Story of Civilization" series, in Chapter One, he remarks,
"... For civilization is not something inborn or imperishable; it must be acquired anew by every generation, and any serious interruption in its financing or its transmission may bring it to an end." This follows a litany of causes that brought down notable civilizations.

The game has changed in college athletics. A round of musical chairs is underway, and if you don't get a chair, you are done. Football revenue drives the bus. Title IX binds you to financial commitments. If you don't get a chair, through football, you are done. Basketball is an irrelevant distraction, a "nice to have."

As a program, we are not in a strong fundamental position. We are a private school. We are fighting an uphill - but regrettably necessary - battle to claim our rightful spot as New York's representative to major college athletics. We are like a civilization without a solid foundation, lacking some essentials that others have. Cheap tuition, state-granted cache as an official, legal representative of said state, a local HS football base from which to draw the majority of a program. We are especially vulnerable to disruptions in the "financing" of our football civilization. We are a net importer of food and energy. Our value proposition has to be highly talented and productive people. We have done surprisingly well in that regard since the mid-80's.

Look at how fast it can decline. Shaw et. al.'s decisions in the 90's to raid the revenues from athletics would find a nice place in a summary of how civilizations fail. And look at the proximate conditions staring at us now.

No doubt P should have been given an ultimatum before he was finally fired. Instead, Dr. Gross is hired, and without any time to assess his new surroundings, P's firing is foisted upon him, and he needs to make a hire on instantaneous notice. Our program had been in constant and steady decline since McNabb left - I have the chart to prove it, simply in terms of win % vs. number of games played, it's actually scary - yet none of our "leaders" acted. Tack onto that a disastrous forced hire, when you don't have any leeway to buy your way out, and you see how quickly a civilization can collapse. We descended to a bottom-10 program in all of D-1A.

Marrone really has saved this program from death - but he hasn't saved the program in an absolute sense. We are still a fragile civilization on the edge of ruin. We have some depth, but not enough that we can replace anyone on the roster. We couldn't even field a competent replacement for Pugh at the start of this season. For how many positions on the team do you think we have real redundancy?

In year 2, the staff made chicken salad out of chicken ****. This year, they made chicken salad out of chicken salad. People say that Marrone hasn't really proven anything yet, and doesn't deserve an NFL job. HORSE ****. The job that he has done with an underpaid staff, recruiting at a disadvantage to every program he faces, is miraculous. "He's not a big name hire, who is going to be excited about him?" All the guy did is field the best freaking team in the Big East in year 4, after inheriting one of the worst 10 programs in D-1A college football. Walking uphill both ways.

So where are we now? In year 4 of churning the deadwood out of one of the worst 10 rosters in all of D-1A football, we finally reached a more-or-less full roster. Huge dividends in ways that don't manifest in terms of starters and minutes played. We have a staff with recruiting inroads and players that they have been tracking for multiple years. We have two good QB prospects verbally committed. We have a focus on NYC, and NYS, recruiting with guys who can walk the walk. We have buzz. The team looks damn good. We are about to join the ACC, with a HUGE infusion of annual revenue and better competition.

So, I ask, what the hell is the point of ponying up millions of dollars to get into the ACC early, if you are going to let your football program tumble into limbo by not locking up the god damned guy who made it respectable again, from the brink of collapse?

What's likely to happen now? Take a hard look at Marrone and see the writing. If you scare HIM off, who else is walking through that door? Look at our roster and depth. Decimate this recruiting class through uncertainty and change, and we are getting back into the depleted roster situation that plagued us from 2009 until this year. What happens to the NYC pipeline? What happens if Allen and Wilson decide to go elsewhere?

If Marrone decides to leave this weekend - a best case scenario should he get an offer he accepts - we have one month to hire a new coach and secure our recruiting class. Who are your candidates to come in on such terms? Seriously. Who is going to grin and sign when Marrone decided his dream job really wasn't his dream job anymore, because his dream no longer reflected reality?

We should be joyously celebrating our position now, and instead we are faced with disaster. Someone somewhere has failed failed failed. If you think otherwise, I want names and reasons. Not, "we'll be fine someone else will come in no prob." I want names of people who will come in now, in these circumstances, and succeed. Taking into account where we are as a program, in the context of what is happening around us.

I am generally a glass-more-than-half-full guy, but I think if Marrone bails now, in these circumstances, we are in the shitter. Our administration is at a ****-or-get-off-the-pot moment.
It takes a lot to get Java to rant but when he rants, it is a great rant.

Well done!

1. It was never his plan to leave SU. The problems we are all discussing are the root cause. I don't think his success is a surprise to him. It was the plan from the start.
2. see #1
3. see #1
4. see #1
5. Until the problems are addressed, they will hinder development and keep turning over coaching staffs, which will hinder recruiting and start the ball rolling backwards. What I worry about most is having the football program regress and then being seen as a less than desirable member should conferences start shuffling again. A lot of people forget where we have been the last several years...
The "root cause" is that Doug has been successful in rebuilding the SU program so the NFL has come calling. A secondary cause is that Doug has been working his way through various assistant jobs (including two college stops before the Saints) on a 3 or 4 year pattern, and now may be interested in taking his next opportunity. Whether that was "the plan" when Doug was interviewing SU 5 years ago isn't that relevant at this stage. His opportunities have evolved as a result of the 2012 season.
You want to turn Doug's attractiveness to the NFL (and his interest in looking) into what SU is or is not willing to do to rebuild the football program? OK -- SU made a smart hire (Marrone) and gave him $$$ for a better group of assistants. It put some money into facilities (not the dedicated practice facility yet, but that depends on donors -- the push is on, just hasn't hit paydirt); made the step to the ACC.
You want to predict gloom and doom if Marrone opts for the NFL (and key assistants follow)? Big loss if that happens, but I also believe SU can make another smart hire from the outside or by internal promotion. The program was attractive to Daost, Morrison & Henderson coming off losing seasons -- should be more attractive for assistants now. Going to the ACC and having recent bowl success will give SU something to use in seeking a new HC (if Marrone gets the right offer and also decides he wants the NFL).

In year 2, the staff made chicken salad out of chicken ****. This year, they made chicken salad out of chicken salad. People say that Marrone hasn't really proven anything yet, and doesn't deserve an NFL job. HORSE ****. The job that he has done with an underpaid staff, recruiting at a disadvantage to every program he faces, is miraculous. "He's not a big name hire, who is going to be excited about him?" All the guy did is field the best freaking team in the Big East in year 4, after inheriting one of the worst 10 programs in D-1A college football. Walking uphill both ways.

I am generally a glass-more-than-half-full guy, but I think if Marrone bails now, in these circumstances, we are in the shitter. Our administration is at a ****-or-get-off-the-pot moment.
Wow, Java, that quite aptly nails it. If they blow this up there and we as fans get the impression from it that they really don't want to do what it takes to avoid the potential of another collapse of SU's football civilization (while having the resources to do what it takes which is what I've gathered from reading everything here on it), then it's time for this fan to pull back a bit too. Lots of good college ball in the area that will call my name on fall saturdays. But regardless of that, great post.

I think this is the gist of it. I'm fiscally conservative to the bone, but there comes a point where you have to acknowledge that you must invest SOME money to make money. One of the worst mistakes we can learn from history is to NOT LEARN FROM HISTORY. We just went through this.

It's like Michael in Godfather 3... "Just when I thought I was out... THEY PULL ME BACK IN!!!"

The best I can glean is that we can't just start building the practice facility because "that's not the way it's done." This is a situation where we have to do it differently. If that means we're taking a risk, it's a risk I think we have to take. And I say that with all due respect to the people in the administration and on the BOT that work so hard to keep the university functioning.

If Marrone leaves this weekend because of the university's inability to bring facilities up to the level Marrone feels is needed to compete in the ACC then Syracuse is broadcasting a message to all good recruits and coaches: "Do not come to Syracuse University for football, we are not going to invest in it"

Once that happens SU will always be a bottom-feeder program that will struggle to get good talent or good coaching. If the administration is okay with that then great, I and I'm sure a lot of people on this board won't invest any further time or money in Syracuse football.

This post should be tacked.

If I could like this a million times I would.

Tomcat and Java are right. We need to make a decision and take a calculated risk to have as seat at the table.

Kudos for this post.

The "root cause" is that Doug has been successful in rebuilding the SU program so the NFL has come calling. A secondary cause is that Doug has been working his way through various assistant jobs (including two college stops before the Saints) on a 3 or 4 year pattern, and now may be interested in taking his next opportunity. Whether that was "the plan" when Doug was interviewing SU 5 years ago isn't that relevant at this stage. His opportunities have evolved as a result of the 2012 season.
You want to turn Doug's attractiveness to the NFL (and his interest in looking) into what SU is or is not willing to do to rebuild the football program? OK -- SU made a smart hire (Marrone) and gave him $$$ for a better group of assistants. It put some money into facilities (not the dedicated practice facility yet, but that depends on donors -- the push is on, just hasn't hit paydirt); made the step to the ACC.
You want to predict gloom and doom if Marrone opts for the NFL (and key assistants follow)? Big loss if that happens, but I also believe SU can make another smart hire from the outside or by internal promotion. The program was attractive to Daost, Morrison & Henderson coming off losing seasons -- should be more attractive for assistants now. Going to the ACC and having recent bowl success will give SU something to use in seeking a new HC (if Marrone gets the right offer and also decides he wants the NFL).

You are not being realistic at all. First, if you think he wasn't on the fast track to an NFL HC gig, I don't know what to tell you. OC of one of the leagues best offense gets you looked at. If you think that his job at SU means more than his time in the NFL, you're nuts. As for another smart hire, how easy is that to do, exactly? Didn't Skippy look like a great hire at South Florida? Plus, if they aren't going to pay guys that are assistants well now, what makes you think this will be a hot destination for future assistants? Finding good recruiting, capable assistants has ALWAYS been difficult. The guys that are here are here more because of Marrone than the job itself. If he leaves, we are going to be hurting and that is plain for anyone to see...except for maybe you.

This post should be written on parchment scroll and added to the smithsonian...

Well done, Java...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newmom4503

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom