Rant | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Rant

I think one thing people are forgetting is how great Doug interviews. He blew everyone away at SU. He will go into his NFL interviews and shock the search teams with his depth of knowledge about their organizations and the teams in their divisions. With backing from the New Orleans Saints owner Tom Benson, HC Sean Payton and Bill Parcell's he'll have some pretty successful folks behind him. Too bad that things couldn't have been mediated so that all parties involved were satisfied. Let's face it, Doug wouldn't be doing this if things were honky dory.

The corner had just been turned. One can only wonder what the future of our football program will be without someone like Doug at the helm.
I bet after the interviews take place, we'll learn that SU Coaching Plan isn't the only binder that he's compiled and had sitting on his shelf.

Great post. It's time to decide how important football really is to Syracuse. If its not all that important, fans, sponsors, donors - will all treat it in that same way... Leaving us wondering what could have happened had the school cared enough to trust this coach who bleeds orange.

In the end I think Doug wanted to force this question on the university. If they balk, he walks.

You are not being realistic at all. First, if you think he wasn't on the fast track to an NFL HC gig, I don't know what to tell you. OC of one of the leagues best offense gets you looked at. If you think that his job at SU means more than his time in the NFL, you're nuts. As for another smart hire, how easy is that to do, exactly? Didn't Skippy look like a great hire at South Florida? Plus, if they aren't going to pay guys that are assistants well now, what makes you think this will be a hot destination for future assistants? Finding good recruiting, capable assistants has ALWAYS been difficult. The guys that are here are here more because of Marrone than the job itself. If he leaves, we are going to be hurting and that is plain for anyone to see...except for maybe you.
Most of that is just guess work and blather on your part.
If I am an NFL GM, I give some credit to Doug for assisting the Saints as OC and line coach (keeping in mind that Sean Payton was the offensive genius) and lots more credit for what he has done as a HC in rebuilding SU. The NFL wasn't knocking on Doug's door before this season.

But that is a side issue, as is your guesswork that assistants are here because of Marrone and can't be replaced. Daost & Morrison, for example, came to work with Shafer, who they both knew from prior gigs. Hackett came for the opportunity off Marrone's 4 win season.

Look, I would stretch to keep Doug and keep the staff intact. He proved he could rebuild and overcome obstacles of pay & facilities. Bottom line, if he wants NFL dollars, our AD will need to scramble but he has better selling points than he did the last time around.

If Marrone leaves this weekend because of the university's inability to bring facilities up to the level Marrone feels is needed to compete in the ACC then Syracuse is broadcasting a message to all good recruits and coaches: "Do not come to Syracuse University for football, we are not going to invest in it"

How will we know that's why he left? Or are you just going to assume that is the case and use it as an excuse to bash the university and program?

this post should be tacked so everyone can read it. some people on here talk to us like we are stupid, and don't have a clue how things work when we have a better view from the outside . Sure there are rules that the University has for certain things, but times and circumstances change. For the rather insignificant amounts of money being tossed around it's a joke something, anything can't be worked out when facing the potential of some dark days.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newmom4503

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom