Raptors decline fourth-year option on Malachi Richardson | Syracusefan.com

Raptors decline fourth-year option on Malachi Richardson

Good luck to him. Hope he sticks with another NBA team. For as much flack as he got from so many fans after declaring for the draft, he's still one of my favorite SU players.

Definitely one of my favorites. I remember when he was as the Syracuse vs Indiana game at the dome and we smoked them. I was really happy when he committed. His shot is awesome. Hope he makes it. The Final 4 run!!!

Hasn't developed much honestly. Don't think he's going to see another contract in the NBA sadly.

Good news for people who like to judge life decisions of teenagers they dont know, I suspect.
Some players leave before they're ready. That doesn't mean we hate them and wish them ill. I hope he catches on with another team. Nice kid and he was awesome in that Virginia game. Still think he needed another year, if that's ok for me to say on a fan forum (?).

Some players leave before they're ready. That doesn't mean we hate them and wish them ill. I hope he catches on with another team. Nice kid and he was awesome in that Virginia game. Still think he needed another year.

I didn’t use the words “hate” “wish” or “ill” in my post.

Did use the word “judge” though.

I think Malachi struck while the iron was hot. I still believe his draft stock would have declined had he returned for another year here; I just never viewed him as a good NBA prospect, much like Ennis.

Hope he's able to get another contract from someone though.

Sticking in the NBA is a lot about what team/system you end up on and whether you get playing time or not. Malachi found himself in Sacramento with 97 shooting guards and now on Toronto where he only played in garbage time.

Guys need to play to develop. There’s plenty of players at or below his skill level that have the benefit of more playing time. Some play huge minutes of poor or mediocre basketball.

Hope he gets signed for next year.

Some fans go too far - nothing new for social media as you point out. But then again, there are rare occasions when recruits (or transfers) do not treat the U fairly or honestly. And they should expect to be called out - actions have consequences. As for my input, sure, keep it classy.

I don't think it's ever good to call out teenagers, especially if we want high profile players in the future. Syracuse fans have had a history of calling out our early leavers on twitter and it is not a good look. Comes off as sour grapes.

I don't think it's ever good to call out teenagers, especially if we want high profile players in the future. Syracuse fans have had a history of calling out our early leavers on twitter and it is not a good look. Comes off as sour grapes.

It’s really bizarre and out of touch at this point. Now that sanctions are over it doesn’t even really hurt the team when guys leave early because constantly putting guys in the NBA makes it easier for us to keep the recruiting pipeline flowing. The next Malachi isn’t coming here to sit the bench behind the first Malachi. It’s not 1986, where you can have Sherman backing up Pearl.

These Twitter tough guys need to think macro, not micro. Malachi helped get us to a final four then went and got drafted in the first round. All positive.

But there's a difference between expressing an opinion HERE and trash-talking directly to a player/recruit on Twitter. There I agree - not a good look (and creepy). As for TT (on SyracuseFan.com), .. well ... I'll keep it classy.

Last edited:
I think Malachi struck while the iron was hot... I just never viewed him as a good NBA prospect, much like Ennis.

Well said...similar to Donte Greene and maybe even Tyler Lydon (Perhaps they might have improved had they stayed in school).

An argument can be made that the system works against the long term interests of many kids...especially poor kids whose families may need their money.
Here's some cash...now earn more without the kind of coaching and attention you'd get in college.
If you can't cut it...too bad.
Nice knowing you...don't forget to write.

The tradeoff is short term gain versus the real possibility of a longer, more successful NBA career and a lot more money.

This is far from uniquely a Syracuse thing. Outside of Duke and Kentucky, who bring in lots of guys expected to be OAD, practically every fanbase is critical of early departures.

As long as people don't cross the line into harassment, criticism is fine, imo. 18 year olds are adults. In this case, they're adults signing contracts in the millions of dollars. If you're old enough to make that decision for yourself, you're old enough to handle people questioning your decisions. If you're not, then you're not ready for a professional sports career.

I was surprised Malachi was drafted so high. He had some great games while at SU and some absolute clunkers. With that said, how could he turn down 1st round guaranteed money? The NBA teams made the mistake, not him.

I was surprised Malachi was drafted so high. He had some great games while at SU and some absolute clunkers. With that said, how could he turn down 1st round guaranteed money? The NBA teams made the mistake, not him.
He absolutely abused the ACC defensive player of the year for an 8 minute stretch in the elite 8. That short stretch got him drafted in the 1st round. He def struck while the iron was hot

All you need to do is make one GM believe

I think Malachi struck while the iron was hot. I still believe his draft stock would have declined had he returned for another year here; I just never viewed him as a good NBA prospect, much like Ennis.

I think Ennis was the ultimate "iron hot" guy. He had to go.

Mali was always someone I thought could go either way, it may have helped or it may have hindered him to stay - with that being the case, I wouldn't be able to turn down the money, so I definitely can't fault him.

Donte Greene was probably the Bizarro-Ennis for me, I was a huge fan, but still think he should have stayed one more year and it would have just helped him long-term. You never know though...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom