Ray Allen-He Got Game | Syracusefan.com

Ray Allen-He Got Game

cliftonparksufan

Iggy Award Czar/Co 2020-21 Iggy Award Winner PPG
That movie is currently in rotation on Cinemax so I've caught it a few times. I think it's definitely my favorite basketball movie although the ending is a tad weak. Over the years it's also given me a different outlook into Ray Allen and he's turned into one of my favorite NBA players. Of course, I've separated the Yukon Ray from the NBA Ray, but I've always had a hard time separating Ray Allen from Jesus Shuttlesworth. What a great character. I also really liked Denzel Washington's character in the movie. I'm not a big Denzel guy, maybe because I think he has had a bunch of average movies, but this was definitely one of his better roles. Plus a few Cuse connections in the movie as well: JAB, Jim Brown, John Wallace. Hard to believe the movie was from 1998. Spike Lee really knew how to make movies back in the day.

It got me thinking about other basketball movies. Here is a link with someone's opinion of the top 40 basketball movies of all time. I'm sure most of you can name all your favorites: Hoosiers, White Man Can't Jump, Coach Carter, Finding Forrester (starring Rob Brown), Space Jam, The Fish that Saved Pittsburgh, Blue Chips. Glad to see Juwanna Mann didn't make the cut.
http://www.sportsinmovies.com/best-movies/basketball.asp

Here's another list of someone else's top ten. Hard to believe Hoosiers got ranked 10th but this guy had He Got Game first.
http://dimemag.com/2010/05/top-10-best-basketball-movies-of-all-time/

That movie is currently in rotation on Cinemax so I've caught it a few times. I think it's definitely my favorite basketball movie although the ending is a tad weak. Over the years it's also given me a different outlook into Ray Allen and he's turned into one of my favorite NBA players. Of course, I've separated the Yukon Ray from the NBA Ray, but I've always had a hard time separating Ray Allen from Jesus Shuttlesworth. What a great character. I also really liked Denzel Washington's character in the movie. I'm not a big Denzel guy, maybe because I think he has had a bunch of average movies, but this was definitely one of his better roles. Plus a few Cuse connections in the movie as well: JAB, Jim Brown, John Wallace. Hard to believe the movie was from 1998. Spike Lee really knew how to make movies back in the day.

It got me thinking about other basketball movies. Here is a link with someone's opinion of the top 40 basketball movies of all time. I'm sure most of you can name all your favorites: Hoosiers, White Man Can't Jump, Coach Carter, Finding Forrester (starring Rob Brown), Space Jam, The Fish that Saved Pittsburgh, Blue Chips. Glad to see Juwanna Mann didn't make the cut.

Here's another list of someone else's top ten. Hard to believe Hoosiers got ranked 10th but this guy had He Got Game first.

I guess they're not counting Hoop Dreams, because it was a documentary? Otherwise that's #1.

I can't recall but doesn't JAB get some run in Above the Rim? I remember the main character rocking a cuse hat but like anyone with gang connections and suspect recruiting he ends up a Hoya.

Blue chips is great, plus jimmy B gets some burn in the film.
I just mentioned Blue Chips in another post! I really liked it. Although, I don't think we have to worry about Boeheim quitting to become an actor.

Blue Chips is definitely my favorite basketball movie. I love all of the cameos, and the fact that it's basically just as relevant 20 years after it was made in terms of how college players are recruited, etc.

"Man, those tests are culturally biased".

How many times have you caught yourself screaming during a game: "Run the picket fence!!!".

I coach 3rd grade hoops and 2 weekends ago, I put 4 players out there at the beginning on purpose just so the ref would come over and say "You need one more, Coach"
My grin widened as I said, "My team is on the floor!" I start laughing, loving the moment. The ref who is a 16 year old kid looked at me like I'm an idiot.

Blue Chips and He Got Game are my two favorite basketball movies.

Sidenote, OP.. How do you think Denzel Washington has made a bunch of average movies!? He's in the running for best actor of this lifetime.

Blue Chips and He Got Game are my two favorite basketball movies.

Sidenote, OP.. How do you think Denzel Washington has made a bunch of average movies!? He's in the running for best actor of this lifetime.
Best actor of this lifetime? Bro, please.

Good post, but you lost me at Saying Denzel Washington has a bunch of average movies. I don't think I've seen a Denzel movie that I've hated...

#10 - 'One On One' starring Robby Benson, is my favorite college basketball movie. If you've never seen it you really should. Pretend the Coach is John Thompson or Calipari or Pitino and it makes it even better.

'Fast Break' is a lot of fun as well.

Blue Chips is definitely my favorite basketball movie. I love all of the cameos, and the fact that it's basically just as relevant 20 years after it was made in terms of how college players are recruited, etc.

"Those tests are culturally biased".
Tark: "I like him, but I don't think he'll make it academically".

JB: I don't know if he could play for you...takes too many bad shots"
Tark: Could he play for you?
JB: Yeah, probably.

Great lines for the 2 of them.

Good post, but you lost me at Saying Denzel Washington has a bunch of average movies. I don't think I've seen a Denzel movie that I've hated...
I didn't say I hated him, just that he has had a bunch of average movies (with thanks from IMDB): The Bone Collector, The Siege, John Q, Out of Time, Manchurian Candidate, Taking of Pelham 1-2-3, Book of Eli, Unstoppable, Safe House.

He has also had some really good movies. However if you really take a look at them, most of his really good ones were early in his career. I haven't seen Flight yet which he was nominated for an Oscar last year so maybe he has a few great ones still in him. It happens to a lot of actors, for example, Bruce Willis and Robin Williams. Same thing.

#10 - 'One On One' starring Robby Benson, is my favorite college basketball movie. If you've never seen it you really should. Pretend the Coach is John Thompson or Calipari or Pitino and it makes it even better.

'Fast Break' is a lot of fun as well.

One on One is a hidden gem..

Henry... henry... henry...!!!

honestly, above the rim is my favorite. (spoiler: except for the part about him going to georgetown at the end. that part sucked.)

honestly, above the rim is my favorite. (spoiler: except for the part about him going to georgetown at the end. that part sucked.)

And after a bit of thought I just realized lebron stole the powder thing from boogaloo or however you spell marlon wayans character.

Add In the large part played by Tupac with his vintage mobile phone... man I need to watch that again. Plus it gave us one of the best movie tracks of all time. Nate Dogg and Pac RIP

I coach 3rd grade hoops and 2 weekends ago, I put 4 players out there at the beginning on purpose just so the ref would come over and say "You need one more, Coach"
My grin widened as I said, "My team is on the floor!" I start laughing, loving the moment. The ref who is a 16 year old kid looked at me like I'm an idiot.

Ha!

Before I came to find dicaprio annoying, I would put Basketball Diaries at or near the top of my list. One could argue though that that film was more about heroin than basketball. Despite the dark subject matter, I still find funny the part where leo/jim tries to shoot a free throw while whacked out on 'downers' and shoots the ball about 2 feet.

Before I came to find dicaprio annoying, I would put Basketball Diaries at or near the top of my list. One could argue though that that film was more about heroin than basketball. Despite the dark subject matter, I still find funny the part where leo/jim tries to shoot a free throw while whacked out on 'downers' and shoots the ball about 2 feet.