Ray Barbuti on To Tell The Truth | Syracusefan.com

Ray Barbuti on To Tell The Truth

SWC75

Bored Historian
One of my lock-down pastimes is to watch some of the famous quiz shows that are on You-Tube. One of my favorites was always To tell The truth and I'm watching them chronologically. Today I saw one that featured a famous SU athlete, not as one of the formal subjects of the show but as one of the imposters. But his achievements are noted after that segment is over.

One of my lock-down pastimes is to watch some of the famous quiz shows that are on You-Tube. One of my favorites was always To tell The truth and I'm watching them chronologically. Today I saw one that featured a famous SU athlete, not as one of the formal subjects of the show but as one of the imposters. But his achievements are noted after that segment is over.

Nice post @SWC,

Syracuse had a terrific track team in the early 1900s. Myer Prinstein a gold and a silver in the 1900 games in Paris. He followed that with 2 golds in the 1904 games in St Louis, and added another gold in 1908. He is one of the greatest long and triple jumpers in history.

Below is a list of all known medal winners. It was mostly taken from an SU web site but I correctly a few errors they had. I bet there are other people they missed as well.

Bill Horr won a bronze and a silver in 1908.

Charles Reidpath won two gold medals in 1912.

Sprinter Al Woodring won a gold in 1920 in Belgium.

Sprinter Chad Bowman won a gold and a silver in 1924.

Ray won 2 golds in 1928. Those were all in track and field.

Ed O’Brien won a gold and a silver in 1936 in Berlin. Marty Glickman should have won some medals too if not for Hitler and racism. That means an athlete from Syracuse won at least one gold medal every Olympic Games from 1900 to 1936 except in 1916 and 1932. Impressive. Hopefully Justin Knight can get SU track on the board again in the next Olympics.

Chris Campbell won a bronze in wrestling in 1992. Gene Mills was #1 in the world at his weight class and was heavily favored to win a gold in 1980 but never had a chance because of the American boycott of the games held in Moscow that year.

Jason Morris won a silver in judo in 1992.

Carmelo has a bronze and 3 gold medals. JB has 3 gold medals.

Tom Darling won a silver in 1984 in rowing.

Natalie Mastracci won a silver in rowing in 2012.

Anna Goodale won a gold for the US in rowing in 2008. Helen Tanger won a silver in the same race that year. She rowed for The Netherlands.

Phil Weddon won a gold medal as an assistant coach for the US women in 2008.

Stefanie Marty won a bronze playing for the Swiss in ice hockey in 2014.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom