RB position changes coming | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

RB position changes coming

I don't think we are in position to cast any judgements on Strickland this year given the new/young OLine that almost EVERYONE on this board was trashing up to the VT game... how about we let him get a season under his belt with HCDB and a developing Oline and see what happens...he just might surprise some people with a bit more seasoning...just like our Oline, def ends, etc...Go Cuse!

Didn't someone here say that the staff told Moe something like "why are you playing RB?" Seems pretty obvious where he'll end up.

Didn't someone here say that the staff told Moe something like "why are you playing RB?" Seems pretty obvious where he'll end up.
This staff put him at rb

I'm with this line of thinking but I"m guessing Fredericks moves on (just based on how things seem to work, not any inside knowledge). My thoughts on Strickland are these:

1. He has shown you essentially nothing this year. Yes, OL has been an issue and it's first year in the system and he's a young back. All of those could be factors. Having said that, really haven't seen anything from him that makes you optimistic.

2. Young kids play at RB all the time -- even if you like Strickland's potential there, is there a decent chance you could upgrade with a younger player? Seems like the answer could be yes.

3. Could Strickland -- even if you more or less like him at RB -- potentially help you out more somewhere else? WR or DB? I always think of tebucky jones who was a phenomenal athlete but was only solid at RB. Meanwhile, he plays one year at safety and basically plays at an All-American level and goes on to a strong NFL career. RBs need talent but above all they need to be RBs. Not sure Strickland is.

Doug Hogue falls into that category as well as Derrell Smith. Both were good runners but had higher ceilings at LB and were eventually moved.

I'm with you, money. I do not think the issue is that Strickland lacks vision or whatever else is being tossed around. The OL is struggling to create seams, not to mention they are almost always trying to run inside against a stacked box.
Our best guy who can operate with almost no seams is Erv.

There must be a reason it seems they are offering more RB's lately.

Strick - not getting much done
Moe - Might change positions
Fredericks - who knows
Morris - Done after this year

Even if everyone stays where they are we will only have 4 backs with Stritzinger coming in next year.

That doesn't seem like enough and probably isn't.

Strickland has been fine if he can get some space, but he doesnt get much space. thats a blocking issue that many Rbs dont do well with. he does make people miss if he can get moving just a little bit. he is not an elite back but we seldom get those anyway. Moe is just too small right now. if the oline were blocking better we wouldnt really be having the same conversations about who is playing RB.

We need some help here but nothing says Fredericks cant get on the field since its pretty clear his issues are not with running the ball.

Doug Hogue falls into that category as well as Derrell Smith. Both were good runners but had higher ceilings at LB and were eventually moved.

Hogue. That was the one I was forgetting. Good call.

Im curious do kids on the roster today, follow recruiting? I mean how would you feel as a current RB reading that the staff told a recruit, they dont like what they have on the roster etc?

Im curious do kids on the roster today, follow recruiting? I mean how would you feel as a current RB reading that the staff told a recruit, they dont like what they have on the roster etc?

I don't think that's the first they'd hear of it.

I don't think that's the first they'd hear of it.
You hope that is the case...for every kid that ignores a coach or heard what he wants to hear, there is a coach that doesn't communicate worth a crap...not saying which is true in the current environment but let's not presume that all coaches are as transparent...if I recall Dunk's mom correctly, TD never got a straight answer...not saying he did or didn't, let's just not pretend that coaches are always treating kids on the up and up...some do, some don't...

He was recruited as a Hybrid, correct?

Let's get it straight:

eXpress Back, not hybrid.

My, how far we've come from that clusterf*ck situation...