Class of 2016 - RB Tyler Thompson (NJ) Verbal to UMass | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2016 RB Tyler Thompson (NJ) Verbal to UMass

Broke his leg last year, so might be flying a little under the radar right now: http://highschoolsports.nj.com/news...e-ready-for-2015-after-breaking-tibia-fibula/

Offers from SU, Old Dominion, BC, UVA, Penn State, Pitt, Vandy, and Temple according to that article.

I think this exemplifies recruits comments when they say that the Syracuse staff feels like family:

“The only college I heard from so far was Syracuse and they told me to kill it in rehab,” Thompson said. “That’s exactly what I’m going to do.”

Stephen Bailey ‏@Stephen_Bailey1 5m5 minutes ago
2016 New Jersey RB Tyler Thompson (@TylerTh0mpson8) has Syracuse as his No. 1 school after visiting on Sunday: http://bit.ly/1Dybprk

"During the visit, he and his mother spoke with SU running backs coach DeAndre Smith. Smith's message to Thompson was that he would be a great fit for the Orange's H-back position — a spot that is expected to line up in the slot, on the wing and in the backfield in offensive coordinator Tim Lester's new offense.

Thompson just needs to make sure his grades will be high enough to qualify."

"Thompson, who said he will return for Syracuse's annual spring game on April 4, watched practice and toured SU's facilities with St. John Vianney (Holmdel, N.J.) High School quarterback Anthony Brown."

Kid said he has become good friends with NJ QB Anthony Brown who also visited this weekend. They have both talked about how fun it would be to play together. I know we've heard this before, but the possibility of the domino effect intrigues me.

Kid said he has become good friends with NJ QB Anthony Brown who also visited this weekend. They have both talked about how fun it would be to play together. I know we've heard this before, but the possibility of the domino effect intrigues me.
I have a good feeling we land Thompson/Brown/Coleman in this class.

The interesting thing about this year's recruiting class is that we took 3 RBs last year and are looking at at least one this year. I really hope it's true and it's Thompson and Washington they're going after hardest. Leaves a hefty stable for the next season.

Named "leader" on 2 4 7

I had a dream last night that Thompson committed.

I have been spending way too much time thinking about football recruiting, clearly.
With Basketball winding down and spring practices just starting up for football, I think you are right in line with everyone else on this board.

I absolutely love this young man's film. IMO, his film is every bit as impressive as Washington's. I believe if he were healthy last season he would have multiple major BCS offers. He has excellent vision, great burst, and a running style that should translate very well to the next level. I hate making these types of comparisons, but he really reminds me of Melvin Gordon. He is a one cut and get upfield runner that would absolutely thrive in a zone running scheme. Of all the backs recruited over the last few years, I think his film may be the best I have seen.

Today's Tyler's birthday, so I decided to whip up another edit for him:

EDIT: I also tweeted about how many NJ guys we're recruiting, and Thompson favorited it. I'll be a little stunned if we don't get him, to be honest. Maybe as soon as this weekend.

EDIT 2, EDIT HARDER: Anthony Brown just favorited that tweet, too.

Last edited:
I really hope this kid isn't getting lost in the shuffle. I think the kid is an absolute beast, and is just as good as any of the kids we have recently recruited, and are recruiting now. I know everyone is fascinated with Neal right now, but it's not like he's going to be a layup, while it seemed if we stayed hard on Thompson he could have committed by now. Either way you can never have too many playmakers. Maybe there is more to the story because I can't see Acosta backing down from getting one of his kids passed over for someone else?

I really hope this kid isn't getting lost in the shuffle. I think the kid is an absolute beast, and is just as good as any of the kids we have recently recruited, and are recruiting now. I know everyone is fascinated with Neal right now, but it's not like he's going to be a layup, while it seemed if we stayed hard on Thompson he could have committed by now. Either way you can never have too many playmakers. Maybe there is more to the story because I can't see Acosta backing down from getting one of his kids passed over for someone else?
I've felt for awhile now that it's become an either/or for Neal and Thompson. I agree, it sucks to be backing off of Thompson, because like you I just have a feeling he's going to be a heck of a player. If we get Neal though, I'd think it completely shuts the door on Thompson, since I don't think we'll bring in more than one H-back this cycle.

Tyler Thompson, the forgotten one. I love this kid. Moe Neal is the hot topic but I'd take Thompson in a second.

I've felt for awhile now that it's become an either/or for Neal and Thompson. I agree, it sucks to be backing off of Thompson, because like you I just have a feeling he's going to be a heck of a player. If we get Neal though, I'd think it completely shuts the door on Thompson, since I don't think we'll bring in more than one H-back this cycle.

Unfortunately I get that feeling too. If that's the case I have to disagree. You can never have enough "athletes", and a couple of our RB/HB's have DB potential. imo it's a no lose situation.

Unfortunately I get that feeling too. If that's the case I have to disagree. You can never have enough "athletes", and a couple of our RB/HB's have DB potential. imo it's a no lose situation.
I agree with you...our offense has shown that the last thing we need to be doing is turning away potential playmakers. I just get the sense that the staff is going to be very selective and stick to a specific number of players at various positions.

Thompson isn't an H back. He's a tailback in the mold of, say, a David Walker, and he likes SU a lot.

There is also the domino effect that Neal could have as opposed to Tyler. Don't get me wrong, if Tyler said yes today, that would be it. But between the two, I would take Neal because of what else that could give us.

Thompson isn't an H back. He's a tailback in the mold of, say, a David Walker, and he likes SU a lot.
I agree. He is a TB if anything and your right, more of a blugger like David Walker. I dont think Thompson will fit at the HB position. IMO Thompson was a back up plan to Washington. Both similar styles but we got the best of the two commited. Fellas its still early enough to get some of the kids at the top of their boards. We are going to get some kids that surprise in camp too. We cant fill up to quickly beacause we might have a shot at a higher level kid. For example, we already have Sadiq Palmer, now im hearing the staff really likes Frank Darby. We get a commitment from him, how many WR's are we getting? Will there be slots open for Stewart, Harmen Dubois, Coleman, Huber, Gray? Same can be applied to the RB position.

It's already been stated previously, though, that the coaches were recruiting him specifically as an H-back.

EDIT: Yep, in a Skout article, Thompson said that Lester was recruiting him as an h-back.

Last edited:
I agree. He is a TB if anything and your right, more of a blugger like David Walker. I dont think Thompson will fit at the HB position. IMO Thompson was a back up plan to Washington. Both similar styles but we got the best of the two commited. Fellas its still early enough to get some of the kids at the top of their boards. We are going to get some kids that surprise in camp too. We cant fill up to quickly beacause we might have a shot at a higher level kid. For example, we already have Sadiq Palmer, now im hearing the staff really likes Frank Darby. We get a commitment from him, how many WR's are we getting? Will there be slots open for Stewart, Harmen Dubois, Coleman, Huber, Gray? Same can be applied to the RB position.

Maybe i'm just higher on Thompson then other people are because imo he is too good to pass up, no matter who is committed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom