Class of 2020 - RB Will Nixon (TX) TRANSFERRING TO SYRACUSE (5/24/24) | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2020 RB Will Nixon (TX) TRANSFERRING TO SYRACUSE (5/24/24)

I really hope it's a lot more than 20 times a game.

I was fully prepared for Fran to be pretty meatheaded, but he's a meathead that can croot his meat off, if that makes sense.

Throwing the ball at or near the LOS is really an extended run. If those 20 passes are down the field, it will be better than 40 passes at the LOS. Were the McNabb Os not exciting? He barely threw the ball, but when he did they were big plays.

As to you other point, our resources are our natural recruiting areas. There are not a lot of passers, pass catchers, pass blockers within our radius. If we played in Texas or Florida then you have a point. Playing in a Dome isn't as important as the types of players you can get.

I really think it is worth noting that all three of our running backs (Allen, Willis, and Nixon) are pretty comfortable catching the ball. I feel like we haven't traditionally had a stable of backs who are steady pass catchers.

I am predicting a split of Allen-40% Nixon-30% Willis-30%
1, do we know Willis is a legitimate receiving threat at this point?

2, that breakdown is nuts. There's no way LeQuint's only getting 40%.

Throwing the ball at or near the LOS is really an extended run. If those 20 passes are down the field, it will be better than 40 passes at the LOS. Were the McNabb Os not exciting? He barely threw the ball, but when he did they were big plays.
This is just a really, really bad example to use because McNabb 's passing was CRIMINALLY under utilized by the program (to say nothing of the stacked WR and TE talent we had).

This is just a really, really bad example to use because McNabb 's passing was CRIMINALLY under utilized by the program (to say nothing of the stacked WR and TE talent we had).

We had no pass blocking. He was running for his life half the time. Luckily for us he was a great escape artist. If he dropped back 40x a game he would have been injured every year.

We had no pass blocking. He was running for his life half the time. Luckily for us he was a great escape artist. If he dropped back 40x a game he would have been injured every year.
That was a factor, but they also didn't want to stray from 200/200.

I'm not concerned about the distribution between pass/run for now

I think HCFB and Nixon understand the importance of passing the ball in the modern era but they know even with the upgraded talent, SU won't be able to sling it 45/50 times a game against every opponent.

They'll want to be matchup specific in terms of the gameplan. Could lead to some run heavy focused games vs certain opponents, and pass heavy games, and perhaps a balance of both some games.

Last edited:

I was fully prepared for Fran to be pretty meatheaded, but he's a meathead that can croot his meat off, if that makes sense.
There shouldnt be a set number of passes. Just need be a good ratio. Its situational. You want to be able to pass when you want and be able to run when you really need to. The balanced offenses tend to be the most effective. These days 60% pass 40% run is ideal.

Then I'll be wrong.

I will die on the hill that as the only major college program that plays in a Dome we should have prolific passing offenses every year, and it's an embarrassment mismanagement of our resources that we consistently fail to have that.
I'll die on the hill that it doesn't matter. Letting your facility dictate your style is silly. People care too much about a specific style. You get the best players you can and mold the offense around your personnel. And if you truly want to be a national player, you have to be able to both run and pass. It's not an either/or thing. Every team that wins national championships can do both. The ratio may vary somewhat, but they're able to do both.

Last edited:
There shouldnt be a set number of passes. Just need be a good ratio. Its situational. You want to be able to pass when you want and be able to run when you really need to. The balanced offenses tend to be the most effective. These days 60% pass 40% run is ideal.
I fully agree there shouldn't be a set number of passes and that a balanced offense is likely more effective.

My belief is that coaches default to running the ball, but above average (let alone elite) passing offenses don't develop unless there is a hard commitment to passing.

I fully agree there shouldn't be a set number of passes and that a balanced offense is likely more effective.

My belief is that coaches default to running the ball, but above average (let alone elite) passing offenses don't develop unless there is a hard commitment to passing.
Not commiting to a run game makes you easier to defend also. Doesnt help your O line out. They have to be able to run block good enough to convert those 2nd and 3rd and short.

I dont think the better offenses neglect either

Everything I’ve seen = run/pass balance. Probably 45/55 one way or another.

Deleone‘s golden ratio was 48/24 . I doubt we will that skewed.

Not commiting to a run game makes you easier to defend also. Doesnt help your O line out. They have to be able to run block good enough to convert those 2nd and 3rd and short.

I dont think the better offenses neglect either
If we control the line of scrimmage, You can run or pass. And a good running team can open up lanes to pass in by forcing defensive players out of their normal positions.

If we control the line of scrimmage, You can run or pass. And a good running team can open up lanes to pass in by forcing defensive players out of their normal positions.
fasho

I think HCFB and Nixon understand the importance of passing the ball in the modern era but they know even with the upgraded talent, SU won't be able to sling it 45/50 times a game against every opponent.

They'll want to be matchup specific in terms of the gameplan. Could lead to some run heavy focused games vs certain opponents, and pass heavy games, and perhaps a balance of both some games.
As it should be. More NFL opportunities will be there for the players with the improved strength and conditioning program and pro days. But on gameday, yeah the ratios and all that doesn’t matter. It’s all about what will get Cuse in the end zone dependent on the opponent defense that week and even specifically that drive.

1, do we know Willis is a legitimate receiving threat at this point?

2, that breakdown is nuts. There's no way LeQuint's only getting 40%.
Willis has looked pretty comfortable in the videos I’ve seen. I believe this was listed as a strength by coaches and analysts.

I could definitely be wrong on the split but I already think Willis is the most talented back we’ve recruited in many years. Nixon was second string on the national runner up. He didn’t come here to sit the bench. We’ll see…it’s a good problem to have.

Randy Savage Yes GIF by WWE

With the size we are going to have upfront and with three really good RBs i believe we are going to pound the rock and make teams commit to stopping the run. If we can make that a reality SU will be extremely hard to stop as I don't see how teams defend OG, Dan, Pena, Ross Simmons, Meeks, Haynes and of course OG with single coverage.

With the size we are going to have upfront and with three really good RBs i believe we are going to pound the rock and make teams commit to stopping the run. If we can make that a reality SU will be extremely hard to stop as I don't see how teams defend OG, Dan, Pena, Ross Simmons, Meeks, Haynes and of course OG with single coverage.
We are actually “loaded” for the first time on offense in decades… I can’t wait to see this offense

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
whodatnatn

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom